Rentals Near Hospitals - Is there a short supply?

Rentals Near Hospitals - Is there a short supply?

Investor · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 15 votes

I have a few rentals in a town with a population of 75,000. Their primary industry is a military base and a massive hospital (this is Temple, TX). 

I have a tenant who is relocating to a Dallas hospital and his lease with me is up. 

During this turnover, I noticed that there aren't any houses for rent near this hospital at this time with the exception of 2 houses listed at about $200-$400/month over what the area was going for last year (the last time I checked rent prices). This is in a market where rents are normally $900 for a 2/1 so we are talking about a 20%+ hike.

Since there is a limited number of units on the market, it's hard to get a good judge of what I should set my rent at so for now I'm listing it at what I had it rented out for last year. But I'm really curious as to if anyone has seen a trend near medical areas? Are Drs and Nurses really moving closer and needing places to stay? Could this really cause a short supply?

I am not wanting to take advantage of this situation by raising rents on these heroes, but I am genuinely curious/excited that I may be fortunate to keep my units rented during this time. 

0Reply
22 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    I think healthcare is one of those markets that's going to continue growing. We will probably see a massive influx of money into the medical community this year thanks to the great COVID fears. If you can market to that community, you'll be in good shape.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Temple, TX · Member since 2015 · 111 posts · 80 votes
    6y

    Hi, @Shaun Kelly. I also have rentals in Temple, and I'm not raising rent at this time, due to the current uncertainty of the market, plus I refuse to be a price gouger. My prices are fair for my A and B properties. I've lived here for 22 years, and Baylor Scott & White has always kept Temple employed and will continue to do so. Properties don't need to be near the hospital or Fort Hood to be attractive to the medical or military community. The need to be in a safe location and be well kept and well managed.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.