Bought a conversion without permits- expensive mistake

Bought a conversion without permits- expensive mistake

Rehabber · Watertown, MA · Member since 2012 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I bought a 3br/3 bath house 2200sq ft in Altamonte Springs FL this Nov. purchased for 105k using hard money, put about 25k into it and got it under contract in Jan for 173k- all was well, passed inspection with no notable concerns, headed toward a late Feb closing. Then my buyer's appraisal for the bank blew up when she couldn't find permits for conversions made several years ago by previous owner- they had converted the garage into a master converting a 1600 sqft home into 2200 heated. Did great work, never pulled the permits.
I was unhappy- the appraiser said she'd finish the report up using 2200 sq ft, but they'd need the permits (which don't exist)-- we're now talking to the county about getting the house inspected and getting it squared away but it's turning into a nightmare. The first person we talked to said it can't be done, can't sell the house. My realtor's boss is saying the last thing we want is the inspectors going thru the house with a magnifying glass.
You've heard it before, but let me remind you-- if you buy a house that has had a conversion- make SURE it's a legal conversion with permits on record. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to buy this house--- which puts me out of the rehab business for a while.
[b]

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
13y

I don't know how things work in FL, but if you were in NJ, I would say you need "the right attorney", someone with longtime connections to the local permitting authority, this should not be unresolvable. I had a big buildings dept problem (complete BS actually), $6k+ in fines and rising, a $2000 "retainer" to the right lawyer made it vanish. One of the partners in the firm was made a city judge last year, go figure.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Gene HackerPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Lake Isabella, CA · Member since 2011 · 969 posts · 488 votes
    13y

    Will you be able to refi out of the HML?

  • Real Estate Broker · Gibsonia, PA · Member since 2013 · 828 posts · 260 votes
    13y

    wow thanks for heads up.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
    13y

    I don't know how things work in FL, but if you were in NJ, I would say you need "the right attorney", someone with longtime connections to the local permitting authority, this should not be unresolvable. I had a big buildings dept problem (complete BS actually), $6k+ in fines and rising, a $2000 "retainer" to the right lawyer made it vanish. One of the partners in the firm was made a city judge last year, go figure.

  • Dover, DE · Member since 2012 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    mind referring me to the "right lawyer" and his firm?

    TIA,


    Noah

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 65 posts · 11 votes
    12y

    @Elizabeth Read Why couldn't the appraiser just ignore the extra 600 square feet that was unpermitted? In other words, why not just put down 1600 sq ft home??

    I'm planning to convert my detached garage into a 1/1 and turn it into a rental. My expected ROI is 43%. Would you advise me against it?

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    And if you were in Atlanta and the work was done previously, it would be considered 'grandfathered' and accepted.

    So, check with your local building office when they consider something grandfathered.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Also, check your disclosure statement from the seller, when you bought. Did they not disclose? You might rattle them a bit with this.......just saying...

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2012 · 183 posts · 155 votes
    11y

    @Elizabeth Read 

    Was this ever resolved? I know I'm about a year too late but my first thought was that going to a different lender with a new appraisal could work. Appraisers all operate differently and the next guy/gal might not ask for permits at all. Just want to see how you got out of this situation.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.