Zillow Charging for listings in California

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

"We recognize how quickly the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation is changing around the world. To support our partners during this time, there will be no fee to list properties in Arkansas, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, Vermont and Wisconsin with Zillow Rental Manager until June 1, 2020. As the situation evolves, we will share any updates in this FAQ and within Zillow Rental Manager.

Additionally, in locations with paid listings, we will reduce the listing fee to $4.99/listing per week from April 1 through May 31, 2020. You can learn more about this change in our FAQ's"

FAQ's

Which listings require payment?

Active listings in select locations** posted via Zillow Rental Manager require payment, but your first listing is free until it expires. Each subsequent listing costs $9.99 per week.

**Select locations include Alabama, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, New Hampshire, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Doesn't zillow pull from MLS or are you referring to FSBO and FRBO listings.

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Daniel Grandfield  I assume you're referring to listing rentals on Zillow.  As of today, Zillow is only charging in 13 states, and not in California (I just listed a rental on Zillow last month and it was free). 

    To my knowledge, they have not announced if/when they plan to start charging in California.  However, I personally don't expect it to be any time soon given that they have recently announced they have STOPPED charging in some of the states they were previously charging in, and REDUCED their fees by 50% in other states due to COVID-19.  (You can read more about that here: https://help.zillowrentalmanager.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040589753.)

    So to me it just wouldn't make a lot of sense for them to start charging in states they hadn't even begun to charge in yet.  At least not right now. 

    Just my two cents.

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    I was referring to listing rentals on zillow, yes. I assumed they would be implementing that in all 50 states, but as of now, you're right, they probably will hold off on that. Thanks for the information!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    "We recognize how quickly the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation is changing around the world. To support our partners during this time, there will be no fee to list properties in Arkansas, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, Vermont and Wisconsin with Zillow Rental Manager until June 1, 2020. As the situation evolves, we will share any updates in this FAQ and within Zillow Rental Manager.

    Additionally, in locations with paid listings, we will reduce the listing fee to $4.99/listing per week from April 1 through May 31, 2020. You can learn more about this change in our FAQ's"

    FAQ's

    Which listings require payment?

    Active listings in select locations** posted via Zillow Rental Manager require payment, but your first listing is free until it expires. Each subsequent listing costs $9.99 per week.

    **Select locations include Alabama, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, New Hampshire, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas

  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I'm hoping they will use the COVID crisis to back off the fee creep.  There are plenty of other free platforms for landlords to use to advertise their rentals.  Craigslist and FB Marketplace are two that yield good outcomes in my market.

  • Investor · Jackson, MS · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 769 votes
    6y

    Hmmm. I've never been charged to list any of my rentals Mississippi, but then I only rarely need to advertise my properties. 

  • Property Manager · Bangor, ME · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 68 votes
    6y

    @Wesley W. I agree. Zillow's fee structure doesn't work in my local market. The "exposure" my listings would get from continuing to be on Zillow are not worth the charge.  Not good value for money here...

  • Real Estate Broker · Kansas City Metro · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Patrick M.:

    "We recognize how quickly the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation is changing around the world. To support our partners during this time, there will be no fee to list properties in Arkansas, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, Vermont and Wisconsin with Zillow Rental Manager until June 1, 2020. As the situation evolves, we will share any updates in this FAQ and within Zillow Rental Manager.

    Additionally, in locations with paid listings, we will reduce the listing fee to $4.99/listing per week from April 1 through May 31, 2020. You can learn more about this change in our FAQ's"

    FAQ's

    Which listings require payment?

    Active listings in select locations** posted via Zillow Rental Manager require payment, but your first listing is free until it expires. Each subsequent listing costs $9.99 per week.

    **Select locations include Alabama, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, New Hampshire, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas

     Do you know when they started charging for listings? This is good info.

  • Rental Property Investor · North Jersey Shore · Member since 2020 · 102 posts · 49 votes
    6y

    I am/was no fan of this. OTOH 20.00 per month compared to newspaper prices loooong ago is cheap.

    With said my thoughts have been turning to a concern....about the response rate.  So many "I'm interested" responses that all go ghost and/or never reply and similar stories from LL's across the country gets me to suspect A/I or just BS replies to skew the metrics and response rates that the hapless LL's just cannot convert.

    Your experience may be different.

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Alex Olson they have been rolling it out- I have not yet experienced it here in NJ, but I believe we will get one free listing a year.

    Zillow is my go to, FB marketplace never panned out for me. The others are all good for free but I like the Zillow presentation, contacts and data.

    I had an applicant last year who used the Zillow application and I would love to see more potential tenants do that. They have all of their background and credit reports done and they can use them on multiple applications. I don't have any issue using them, but we all have different business models...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.