Is it ok to renovate lease with existing tenants?

Is it ok to renovate lease with existing tenants?

Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 1 vote

I am purchasing a triplex that tenants just signed leases in March that are good for 1 year. I was wondering if it is possible to renegotiate those leases being the new land lord or am I stuck with under market rent for the next year?

0Reply
41 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Richard Young when you buy a rental property with tenants you are buying the leases too. So you cannot change the terms until the leases expire. Your due diligence process should include a thorough review of the leases, deposits, last month's rents etc. Look up Estoppel Certificate. All the best!

  • Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Bjorn Ahlblad thank you for the advice. Much appreciated.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.