SFH Landlords: What Rental Listing Platform Do You Use Most?

SFH Landlords: What Rental Listing Platform Do You Use Most?

Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes

I experienced a scam on a platform recently and is wondering what platform you find most reliable to bring you qualified tenants your are not settling for?  

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 953 posts · 910 votes
6y

@Latisha Grady

In the past I used Zillow which was great but havent tried since they started charging. It has always produced the highest quality leads which is why they wised up and started charging. I used facebook recently and was shocked at the responses (300+ in the first couple days) but found that very few were serious. But I did get a couple leases from it without doing the paid ads. And you can use it to some degree for screening i.e. no pets but their profile pic is them and 3 dogs...

Apartments.com and cozy were duds. I stopped doing signs a long time ago because it is just tire kickers in nearby apartments.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Chattahoochee, FL · Member since 2014 · 133 posts · 107 votes
    6y

    Normally, I don't like to pay. I put out a sign and take calls as they come in. Typically, people who want to live in that area will call me. My community is more rural though. 5 yrs ago I did have some success with craig's list and zillow, but zillow is now charging and I haven't attempted CL since then. Just pick up a sign from the box stores or your local hardware store and sit them out front. Within 7-10 days I will get 10+ calls about applications and such. I'm moving my applications online to Cozy and I use a google number so I don't have to be on all the time with my personal phone. Hope this helps. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Chattahoochee, FL · Member since 2014 · 133 posts · 107 votes
    6y

    Normally, I don't like to pay. I put out a sign and take calls as they come in. Typically, people who want to live in that area will call me. My community is more rural though. 5 yrs ago I did have some success with craig's list and zillow, but zillow is now charging and I haven't attempted CL since then. Just pick up a sign from the box stores or your local hardware store and sit them out front. Within 7-10 days I will get 10+ calls about applications and such. I'm moving my applications online to Cozy and I use a google number so I don't have to be on all the time with my personal phone. Hope this helps. 

  • Rental Property Investor · North Jersey Shore · Member since 2020 · 102 posts · 49 votes
    6y

    You don't find it a little pennywise and pound foolish to not pay 10.00 pet week to advertise?

    In recent past a 3 line three day ad in a local daily newspaper in our NJ area was almost 50.00

  • Rental Property Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 953 posts · 910 votes
    6y

    @Latisha Grady

    In the past I used Zillow which was great but havent tried since they started charging. It has always produced the highest quality leads which is why they wised up and started charging. I used facebook recently and was shocked at the responses (300+ in the first couple days) but found that very few were serious. But I did get a couple leases from it without doing the paid ads. And you can use it to some degree for screening i.e. no pets but their profile pic is them and 3 dogs...

    Apartments.com and cozy were duds. I stopped doing signs a long time ago because it is just tire kickers in nearby apartments.

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Account Closed

    I use Zillow which also gets you on Trulia and Hot Pads.  Even though Zillow charges now in reality it’s a small amount.  Craigslist in my opinion is the lowest quality of success.  To many people calling wanting to buy your property mostly other investors.  Scams can happen on any platform, but I find Zillow to be the best.  I don’t generally use signs.  I feel it lets the world now your property is vacant.  I have never found a tenant in my area when I have put signs.

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Thanks guys great feedback

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I have always used Zillow and Cozy in the past and for my last one used Facebook Marketplace as well.  My area doesn't charge for Zillow yet but even if they did my properties rent for 50+/day.  It seems like I would be shooting myself in the foot not to list on Zillow since that is where all my renters have came from.  I did like Facebook for the fact that I could see their profile but the leads didn't seem to be as good from what I got on Zillow.  I don't think I have ever gotten a lead from Cozy but I post anyway just because the possibility of getting a renter from a few minutes of work is worth it, wouldn't pay for them though.  

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    It varies by locations.  Where I am kijiji and used(insert city name) are the two that work best and they are free.

  • Peter TverdovBusiness Member
    Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    We use Instagram, our website, signs and Postlets. Those gives us plenty of leads. If things are really tough we will post on the MLS but that's usually not needed.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cleveland OH · Member since 2015 · 216 posts · 275 votes
    6y

    I use Zillow Rental Manager which also brings along Hotpads & Trulia.  I also use Facebook.   Drives me crazy that most applicants only message to stay anonymous. 

    Never Craigslist, my legit listing have been highjacked multiple times.   When they do, I create a listing on Craigslist that explains the previous listing is fraudulent and report the thief to the the state attorney general.  

  • Chad LundquistPro Member
    Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 74 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Latisha Grady

    I've used craigslist in the past with great success, but I just started using Tenant Cloud for my property management system and they have the ability to list your property thru them. I honestly can't remember how many different platforms they post it on, but it's quite a few. You should look into Tenant Cloud. They have a service that's free, but I use the one that costs around $9/ month. The only thing I wish was better about them was their accounting - I still use Stessa for that part (they're free as well).

    Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help.

    Chad

  • Chad LundquistPro Member
    Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 74 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    @Adam Martin

    I used to use Cozy, but wasn't very happy with them (mostly cost) then I switched to Avail and more recently Tenant Cloud. Tenant Cloud is great, you should check it out.

  • Investor · MD/DC · Member since 2020 · 37 posts · 43 votes
    6y

    I use Avail, which Syndicates to the Zillow network (including Trulia and Hotpads), along with a few other sites. I recently did a count on the leads; about 80% of the leads came from Zillow. I think Zillow is a no-brainer for me. While Zillow is a paid service now, it only costs $20 for the 2 weeks that I need to fill a property. Given that my rents average $2200 ($75/day), paying Zillow is totally worth it if it means I can fill the property even a day sooner. Not to mention, I heard that Zillow's paid service now includes free tenant screening, though I haven't use their tenant screening yet. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 683 posts · 317 votes
    6y

    I'm using zillow manager, cozy.co and Facebook marketplace. 

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    @Latisha Grady

    1) If money and skill were not a problem, how would you improve upon the popular listing services?
    Require prospect identification verification to deter fraud.

    2) If listing services/marketplaces are the least of your worries, what online solution do you wish existed to make your life as a landlord easier?
    AI to respond to prospects asking questions that could be answered if they weren't too lazy to read ads

    And for the record, I do think signs in the yard are often all that's needed if you present in the town where your property is or have a property manager.
    We stopped using signs because the percentage of inquiries that were a waste our time was significantly higher than that with online ads.

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.