How are you showing rentals during pandemic? Virtual tours?

How are you showing rentals during pandemic? Virtual tours?

Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 5 votes

I'm about to start showing 2 rentals that are currently occupied by tenants who are moving out on 8/1. Normally, I would send prospective tenants to view the units at a time that's convenient for the current tenants. Due to the pandemic, I'd like to try renting the units virtually, which would mean posting videos on the sites where I advertise and giving the current tenants the option to give virtual tours over Zoom, if they want to minimize the foot traffic through their living space. 

Have any of you tried renting through videos and virtual tours, instead of in-person showings? Were you successful? What advice would you give?

Thanks!

1Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 299 posts · 476 votes
6y

@Lisa Montana I noticed a lot of landlords discussing this on another forum. This might be helpful - 
https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/839386-one-benefit-from-covid-19-video-tours

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 299 posts · 476 votes
    6y

    @Lisa Montana I noticed a lot of landlords discussing this on another forum. This might be helpful - 
    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/839386-one-benefit-from-covid-19-video-tours

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    There have been about 1,472 discussions on this issue. Most people are taking more pictures and using video walk-throughs. We stopped showing occupied rentals and we stopped doing in-person showings. We would check out a key and let the person tour the rental on their own.

    Once they opened restaurants, I went back to my usual processes.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    Hey Lisa,

    Our company is currently doing a combination of things and we have seen really positive effects. We are doing virtual tours -- we refer to them as a 360-degree tour-- which we post on the marketing details so potential tenants can still view the property without stepping into the property. We have even leased out some houses as a result of this feature!

    We also use a system called Rently. This allows potential tenants to register with Rently in order to gain access to a lockbox on the property. Potential tenants can go view the property after hours and weekends without scheduling with a leasing agent. I know this is not an option for your occupied properties, but could help in the future with a vacant property!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.