First time being a landlord, rate my process

First time being a landlord, rate my process

Addison, IL · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 12 votes

Good morning all,

I believe I’m finally ready to list my first property today which is a townhouse located in Hoffman Estates, IL (Cook County). I’ll be using Cozy to help me out. I’ve been doing some research using these forums about the proper steps to take and was hoping to have a second pair of eyes on it. I have a lease that is extensive and I’m comfortable with that a kind BP member passed along, I have the accompanying documents such as lead and radon disclosures, I have great photos I took with good lighting, etc. Below are the next steps I believe I have to take, but please feel free to pick it apart or throw in advice. 

1) List the property using Cozy. In the description I’ll be sure to mention my qualification criteria in order to protect myself (650 credit score or higher, no prior evictions, 3x rent income, clean criminal background, good landlord reviews)

2) I’ll pre-screen any interested parties to make sure they qualify as I’ll just assume they did not read the full property description. Why are you moving? When’s your ideal move in date? What’s your credit score? What’s your income? How long have you been at that job? How many people will be living here? How many cars do you own? Any criminal background? How’d you find the property? Etc.

3) If the pre-screening goes well, I’ll invite all interested parties to an open house to come tour the property and ask questions.

4) Have all remaining interested and qualified parties fill out the rental application on Cozy.

5) Review applications in the order they were received and do my due diligence as in calling and verifying employment, calling previous landlords, seeing if I can find them on social media, etc.

6) If application and due diligence checks out, I’ll send over the invitation via Cozy for the tenant to pay for their own credit and background check and send that over to me. I’ll only do this one application at a time in order to save people money.

7) I’ll review the credit and background reports carefully and make sure I understand the full picture. I’m still looking for a tenant scoring system to use, if anyone has one they use that they’d be willing to pass along I’d be very grateful.

8) if the tenant does not pass the credit/background check, I’ll be sure to mail them a letter saying why they did not qualify pointing back to my initial qualification criteria.

9) If the tenant does pass the credit/background check, I’ll inform them they’ve been approved and begin the process of getting the lease signed, documenting the condition of the property,  collecting the security deposit.

10) Tenant will need to have paid the security deposit and 1st months rent and also show proof that utilities are in their name prior to handing over the keys.

I fully intend to not bend on my qualification criteria at all. I’ve read a lot of forum posts about sob stories given about why they have a lower credit score or asking if they can be flexible. These usually are red flags.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I look forward to hearing your advice!

-Chris 

8Reply
81 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Nampa, ID · Member since 2017 · 439 posts · 361 votes
6y

I also require to show proof of rental insurance before handing over keys. 

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 27 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    @David Pai

    Rental property insurance covers your property and lost rent, that is correct. However it doesn’t cover any of the renter’s belongings should something happen. Renters insurance covers the renters personal property, liability (they have a guest over that injures themselves on the property, etc.

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Christopher V. be careful about using just Cozy to list your rentals. I have found that Cozy does not syndicate to enough places to get you the leads you need. I would use zillow rent manager and apartments.com. I personally use both when we list rentals as I find I get about 2/3 of my renters from zillow and 1/3 from apartments.com. 

  • Member since 2020 · 404 posts · 235 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Sarah Brown:
    Originally posted by @David P.:

     I never had a renter get renters insurance before. What is that? In california we just get rental property insurance on the entire property that covers the dwelling and can also cover loss rent if the tenant has to move out if a claim is filed and approved. Its typically cheaper than primary home insurance because it does not cover anything inside like home like furniture jewlery and such. 

    The renters insurance covers the renters property.  So if you have a fire at the house, and it destroys all their stuff, then their insurance policy will kick in to compensate them for that stuff.  Some also cover damage from their neglect, but that just depends on the policy. It could also cover if one of their friends gets hurt on the property up to a certain amount of damage, if their dog bit someone, etc.  It's super cheap, like $12/mo.  I would recommend calling your insurance agent and discussing it with them. 

    Thanks! thats very good to know. Do you know if any insurance policy out there covers if a tenant were to cause damage to your property (say if you had a bad tenant and needed to evict them and found out later they cause some major damages?

  • Real Estate Agent · Nampa, ID · Member since 2017 · 439 posts · 361 votes
    6y

    Thanks! thats very good to know. Do you know if any insurance policy out there covers if a tenant were to cause damage to your property (say if you had a bad tenant and needed to evict them and found out later they cause some major damages?

    I have heard of it, but I don't have it.  I don't have great knowledge on it (yet) to understand what all it entails. I have also heard some states have it and some don't. 

  • Rental Property Investor · IN (indiana) · Member since 2020 · 49 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    @Christopher V.

    Good luck bro! We’re closing Friday and have some remodeling to do and this is useful for when we’re ready to rent out

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 59 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    @Christopher V. Christopher, thanks for sharing. Looks like your are off to a good start. I am in the Chicago area myself and have noticed that when I try renting a unit on my own, it takes me longer than when I use my realtor. So I normally try renting on my own for two weeks max and if i can't rent it on my own, I will just have my realtor list it.

    I would add a property walk form so you can hold tenants accountable for any damages you notice at the end of the lease.

    Good luck!

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    Good stuff here. Some comments: 

    We advertise on Zillow; they syndicate with Trulia and Hotpads. We have stopped CL years ago, in particular for higher priced rentals.

    Hire a professional photographer - will cost about $100 and so worth it. Nobody reads, but the pictures really matter!

    Call interested people instead of email. Our no-show rates are significantly higher with people we just emailed with.

    Credit score is a blunt instrument. We look for how reliable their payments are. Some people have wrecked their score over some medical bills etc, but their payment history is flawless, always on time. I have seen higher scores with many late payments.

    For some street smarts I'd recommend the book from Mike Butler (Landlording on Auto Pilot) - he was a cop.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.