Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 75 votes
So I bought a property in 2018 from the foreclosure auction in Louisville at the courthouse.
The house was still occupied by the original owner. When I went to talk to him he didnt believe I had bought it and thought there was a mistake and didnt know his house was being auctioned etc.
Long story short. We came to a Lease w/Option to Buy (Rent to Own) agreeement in July 2018.
His Rent would be $550 for 2 years and within that 2 years he has the Option to Purchase for $15,000.
He pays his $550 rent on time the entire time, but makes no extra/additional payments. When I've picked up the rent I've asked if he talked to any banks about loans, etc. And it's always no.
Here we are in July 2020. And he tells me he's ready to make his last Payment and he thought the $550 was ALL PAYMENTS towards the $15k and that he owns the house now etc.
What should I do now?
Anyone else experienced any lease/option misunderstandings?
It never ceases to amaze me how reluctant REIs are to engage the services if an attorney. I put a property under contract last week. Being an out of state deal I had my attorney from my home state review it, then I hired an attorney from the state the property is in to review it. And this is just the purchase agreement that came from the real estate broker. I don't understand how people are signing contracts without having them reviewed by their attorneys... I've purchased one property on an installment to purchase. I had the contract written by an attorney. I think that cost me about $400... Would you scrap a deal over an extra $400 in closing costs? If so the deal wasn't very strong. But a few hundred bucks in lieu of thousands of dollars if mistakes. I'll take that any day.
Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 75 votes
6y
Correct. We do have a "Lease w/ Option to Purchase" contract. We both signed it. He has a copy I have a copy. He is just now claiming a misunderstanding / misinterpretation of the deal.
Correct. We do have a "Lease w/ Option to Purchase" contract. We both signed it. He has a copy I have a copy. He is just now claiming a misunderstanding / misinterpretation of the deal.
well if its in writing and legal binding contract then i dont think there is much to worry about.. I take it there was no credit towards the purchase price in his rent payemnts ?
Correct. We do have a "Lease w/ Option to Purchase" contract. We both signed it. He has a copy I have a copy. He is just now claiming a misunderstanding / misinterpretation of the deal.
Well that is unfortunate for him. He had time to review the contract and seek outside council. If he didn't, that is on him.
It actually sounds like he is either mentally retarded or playing you.
The only way I could see this working out bad for you is if the $550 rent is significantly above what the place would rent for and a reasonable person could have thought that this higher payments were for purchasing the place.
At this point I'd just sign him to a $550 a month lease and let him pay that as long as he lives there.
Flipper/Rehabber · MD · Member since 2008 · 89 posts · 34 votes
6y
@Leon F. I agree with the above. You already have a contract, and you own the house. If you haven't already, I would proactively talk to a/your lawyer to see what you could be in store for ahead, just in case. It sounds like he won't go easily, whether he's playing you or not.
Flipper/Rehabber · Leominster, MA · Member since 2020 · 667 posts · 384 votes
6y
You have the Contract and you are the Owner; if I were in your shoes I would let him know that if he fails to pay, you will start eviction proceedings. I would send him a copy of the contract with a simple explanation and I would send everything certified so that he has to sign for the mail when he receives it. The contract started your paper trail, continue the paper trail by figuring out the forms & times necessary in your town that way IF you have to evict him you have everything in order. Fundamentals are on your side.
On a personal level I feel for you - it sucks when people try to take advantage.
Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 75 votes
6y
@Jay Hinrichs
No. No credit towards the rent. The $550 is the rent only and is seperate from the $15,000 price. I only took the $550 first month rent and didn't ask for extra because he said it was a struggle to come up with that.
Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 75 votes
6y
@Greg M.
The rent is average/slightly below for the area. I could probably get $600-$700 if I fixed if up, but since he already was living there and I didnt need to do anything I figured that would be cheap rent while he figures out how to come up with the purchase price.
Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 75 votes
6y
@Season Price
You're right. The signs were there in the beginning that he might be difficult, but he paid his rent on time and was low-maintenance so I guess I ignored the signs.
Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
6y
As long as there is no reference to the Option agreement from the lease agreement (you did sign two separate agreements...right), and there are two separate agreements...that means two sets of signatures, then you don't have to "give" him the property...which is what he is saying is happening. Once his 2 yr option period expires, you don't have to sell him the property either...and based on his track record, before and after you became the owner, I wouldn't sell him this property under ANY conditions, or any situation.
So I bought a property in 2018 from the foreclosure auction in Louisville at the courthouse.
The house was still occupied by the original owner. When I went to talk to him he didnt believe I had bought it and thought there was a mistake and didnt know his house was being auctioned etc.
Long story short. We came to a Lease w/Option to Buy (Rent to Own) agreeement in July 2018.
His Rent would be $550 for 2 years and within that 2 years he has the Option to Purchase for $15,000.
He pays his $550 rent on time the entire time, but makes no extra/additional payments. When I've picked up the rent I've asked if he talked to any banks about loans, etc. And it's always no.
Here we are in July 2020. And he tells me he's ready to make his last Payment and he thought the $550 was ALL PAYMENTS towards the $15k and that he owns the house now etc.
What should I do now?
Anyone else experienced any lease/option misunderstandings?
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it, and like Moises said, just start the eviction proceedings. He did not buy the home for the $15,000 as stated in the contract.
San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
It's not your job to turn him into a smart or honest person. Move ahead with whatever you need to do and tell him he needs to contact a lawyer if he doesn't understand any legal proceedings, then don't interract with him again personally - leave it to the lawyers.
You are suggesting I should have a 2 seperate contracts? A lease contract and then a totally seperate purchase contract? That we should have made?
this is what we signed. Page 1 & page 2.
A simple ( that's what I thought anyway🤷♀️🤷♀️🤷♀️) lease w/ option to buy contract.
Your contract says the guy has the option to purchase the house for $15,000.....
I think you meant he can buy it at the market price you guys agreed to and a 15K deposit. You can't buy a house in LV Kentucky for 15K can you?
If he was smart, he'd hold you to buying it for 15K that your contract states. It's poorly worded.
Your contract also allows him to request extensions....
While he is playing dumb and I didn't see anything in your contract that said the rent goes toward the 15K, your contract states that he can buy it for 15K, not a 15K down payment.
$550 a month for 24 months isn't even 15K, it's 13.2K, the guy is either an idiot or play dumb. My guess is both. If it was me I'd take your property for 15K that you agreed to...
Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
6y
@Leon Foree Looks like your document states "lease" and "option" right up top. Everyone knows what a lease is. (My sister bought a vehicle on the "smart-buy" plan and about fell over when I told her that was a lease.) If he doesn't want to buy maybe someone else does and you can rid yourself of the situation.
Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
I don't do lease options, but if I did, I would have boxes they have to check:
-I understand that rent paid does not go toward the down payment amount of X.
-I understand that the 15K deposit to exercise the option to buy will be forfeited if I don't exercise the option.
The point of a lease option is to collect money up front as a DP or charge a higher rent, part of which goes toward the down payment if they don't have the dp right now. Not like this. You literally gave him discounted rent and he can choose not to exercise the option. You have no money in hand, and he will have to be taken to court for the money which could cost you more than the 15K. On top of that, you still don't have money from him even if you get a judgement, and you've further thrown money away.
I don't think you really thought this through very well. This is pretty obvious stuff. Evict him and stop doing this until you know what you are doing with lease options.
Investor · Potomac Maryland · Member since 2020 · 81 posts · 46 votes
6y
Talk is usually cheaper so give him a phone call and be very gentle and very nice and nicely explain to him to move out and if he declines your attorney fees will be billed to him for the eviction proceedings. Warning only talk to him once and do not do this yourself, lawyer up and start eviction proceedings. Be sure your lawyer is aggressive and will ask for any damages due.
You are suggesting I should have a 2 seperate contracts? A lease contract and then a totally seperate purchase contract? That we should have made?
this is what we signed. Page 1 & page 2.
A simple ( that's what I thought anyway🤷♀️🤷♀️🤷♀️) lease w/ option to buy contract.
Always use separate contracts, and NEVER refer to the other contract in either contract.
I'm not a lawyer, but I've seen what I considered really bad lawyers win in these cases. If nothing else, they tie up the process long enough to cost you money and allow them to live there long after they should have been gone.
Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y
@Leon F. I don't think he's that dumb....he is still in a house that was foreclosed on him two years ago, and I bet the rent he was paying you is less than his PITI. Agreed the contract could have been constructed better, but he knows what he's doing and the ignorance is just an act. He'll play the victim in court and drag this out nicely, and/or try and reset the clock with you somehow.
Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y
@Leon F. I agree with @Joe Villeneuve that lease options can be great real estate investment strategy. We have over 50 lease options in Arizona and a handful in the Triad area of North Carolina (Greensboro, and Winston-Salem).
The contracts are really important with lease options. You should not create them yourself or print them off a random website. Because of the Dodd Frank Act, you need to be very careful with doing them correctly or you may incur serious fines and you may need to return any option fees and/or rent payments. I bought my contracts for $500 from someone who has done thousands lease options throughout Arizona and then I had my lawyers look them over and adjust them to the different states where I use this strategy.
I would encourage you to give this strategy another try but maybe get some direction or coaching on how to do it correctly so that you can profit from from the strategy rather than get frustrated with it.
A couple of things that stood out to me in your particular situation besides the contract issues.
1. I don’t see where you collected an option fee upfront - maybe that was scribbled out. I usually collect a $3900 fee for properties between 70k and 200k. And a $1900 - $2900 for cheeped properties and 5k or more for more expensive properties.
2. You said that you were trying to help him out. This is usually a recipe for disaster. All tenants need to be treated equally in order to be fair and not to be seen as discriminating. I know that can be stupid but if you treat your tenants differently from one another you can get into legal trouble.
3. One of the reasons to use a lease option and to charge an option fee (that should not be broke up into extra payments over time) is so that you can attract a higher quality buyer. If he was getting foreclosed on, the likelihood of him changing his spending and savings habits are pretty low and now, just like before, he is confused as to why he is either getting foreclosed on or that he didn’t actually buy the house by paying rent. You can give him a non-renewal letter but my guess is that he is going to need to get evicted.
How much did you buy the house for and what is the current value in its current state and what would it be if you fixed it up?
@Leon F. I agree with @Joe Villeneuve that lease options can be great real estate investment strategy. We have over 50 lease options in Arizona and a handful in the Triad area of North Carolina (Greensboro, and Winston-Salem).
The contracts are really important with lease options. You should not create them yourself or print them off a random website. Because of the Dodd Frank Act, you need to be very careful with doing them correctly or you may incur serious fines and you may need to return any option fees and/or rent payments. I bought my contracts for $500 from someone who has done thousands lease options throughout Arizona and then I had my lawyers look them over and adjust them to the different states where I use this strategy.
I would encourage you to give this strategy another try but maybe get some direction or coaching on how to do it correctly so that you can profit from from the strategy rather than get frustrated with it.
A couple of things that stood out to me in your particular situation besides the contract issues.
1. I don’t see where you collected an option fee upfront - maybe that was scribbled out. I usually collect a $3900 fee for properties between 70k and 200k. And a $1900 - $2900 for cheeped properties and 5k or more for more expensive properties.
2. You said that you were trying to help him out. This is usually a recipe for disaster. All tenants need to be treated equally in order to be fair and not to be seen as discriminating. I know that can be stupid but if you treat your tenants differently from one another you can get into legal trouble.
3. One of the reasons to use a lease option and to charge an option fee (that should not be broke up into extra payments over time) is so that you can attract a higher quality buyer. If he was getting foreclosed on, the likelihood of him changing his spending and savings habits are pretty low and now, just like before, he is confused as to why he is either getting foreclosed on or that he didn’t actually buy the house by paying rent. You can give him a non-renewal letter but my guess is that he is going to need to get evicted.
How much did you buy the house for and what is the current value in its current state and what would it be if you fixed it up?
5 stars on all above...especially, the three numbered points.