Would you rent to these room mates or not?

Would you rent to these room mates or not?

Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

It was slow in February and March finding a tenant for another rental, though I ended up with 5 qualified applicants and filled it before I had any vacancy. Now I have another  house vacant for 3 months and almost no qualified applicants, whereas the place has usually gone within a week or two to qualified applicants. People are coming up with 600 credit scores (mostly 550), pitbulls, etc.

I have one application that is comprised of 3 room mates (common). Two are on unemployment (1 of which also gets disability) and the third just started a new job just 1 month ago. Two of the three are service workers (bartender, trade shows). One has really low credit. None have great credit, 2/3 are unemployed but getting UE and 1 is brand new at his job. One has a domestic violence conviction (a female). 

I have no other applicants. I'm still hesitant to rent to them due to eviction moratoriums. I've considered a higher security deposit, and would be collecting first/last as usual. But it still makes me uneasy. Under normal circumstances, I would absolutely NOT consider them. But do I risk going into fall with it sitting empty? They do have verified unemployment income and disability income. One has a new job. 

I AM getting a flood of interest since dropping the price from 2,200 to $2,000. Much more so than before. 

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2018 · 682 posts · 729 votes
6y

"Under normal circumstances, I would absolutely NOT consider them."

I think that line answers your question. The financial risk of this not working out is much more severe than another month or two of vacancy. In my opinion, you'd be taking a bet that's unevenly weighted in the negative direction. 

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2018 · 682 posts · 729 votes
    6y

    "Under normal circumstances, I would absolutely NOT consider them."

    I think that line answers your question. The financial risk of this not working out is much more severe than another month or two of vacancy. In my opinion, you'd be taking a bet that's unevenly weighted in the negative direction. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:

    It was slow in February and March finding a tenant for another rental, though I ended up with 5 qualified applicants and filled it before I had any vacancy. Now I have another  house vacant for 3 months and almost no qualified applicants, whereas the place has usually gone within a week or two to qualified applicants. People are coming up with 600 credit scores (mostly 550), pitbulls, etc.

    I have one application that is comprised of 3 room mates (common). Two are on unemployment (1 of which also gets disability) and the third just started a new job just 1 month ago. Two of the three are service workers (bartender, trade shows). One has really low credit. None have great credit, 2/3 are unemployed but getting UE and 1 is brand new at his job. One has a domestic violence conviction (a female). 

    I have no other applicants. I'm still hesitant to rent to them due to eviction moratoriums. I've considered a higher security deposit, and would be collecting first/last as usual. But it still makes me uneasy. Under normal circumstances, I would absolutely NOT consider them. But do I risk going into fall with it sitting empty? They do have verified unemployment income and disability income. One has a new job. 

    I AM getting a flood of interest since dropping the price from 2,200 to $2,000. Much more so than before. 

     I know that feeling of desperation when you are having trouble getting qualified applicants, but take my advice and do not settle for bad applicants. In the long run renting to the wrong people costs you way more. They could literally move in and stop paying rent. No jobs? Domestic violence and who cares if it is a woman!

    You know that you need to reject them. Price drops is your best move. Be patient. I have been where you are and you eventually you will find a good applicant. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    If you're getting more interest, I don't think I would.

    My biggest issue is roommates not understanding they're joint/severably liable for the rent.  So if A pays his share, but B doesn't then A is still responsible for remainder of the rent - Even if B moves out.

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:

    It was slow in February and March finding a tenant for another rental, though I ended up with 5 qualified applicants and filled it before I had any vacancy. Now I have another  house vacant for 3 months and almost no qualified applicants, whereas the place has usually gone within a week or two to qualified applicants. People are coming up with 600 credit scores (mostly 550), pitbulls, etc.

    I have one application that is comprised of 3 room mates (common). Two are on unemployment (1 of which also gets disability) and the third just started a new job just 1 month ago. Two of the three are service workers (bartender, trade shows). One has really low credit. None have great credit, 2/3 are unemployed but getting UE and 1 is brand new at his job. One has a domestic violence conviction (a female). 

    I have no other applicants. I'm still hesitant to rent to them due to eviction moratoriums. I've considered a higher security deposit, and would be collecting first/last as usual. But it still makes me uneasy. Under normal circumstances, I would absolutely NOT consider them. But do I risk going into fall with it sitting empty? They do have verified unemployment income and disability income. One has a new job. 

    I AM getting a flood of interest since dropping the price from 2,200 to $2,000. Much more so than before. 

     I know that feeling of desperation when you are having trouble getting qualified applicants, but take my advice and do not settle for bad applicants. In the long run renting to the wrong people costs you way more. They could literally move in and stop paying rent. No jobs? Domestic violence and who cares if it is a woman!

    You know that you need to reject them. Price drops is your best move. Be patient. I have been where you are and you eventually you will find a good applicant. 

    That's exactly my thinking on this. I'm super hesitant. The reason I noted the domestic violence conviction was a woman was because it's super rare for a woman to get arrested and convicted. She also has TERRIBLE credit. Her and her fiance have questionable logic to begin with. Her fiance told me, when I asked, that her job is unaffected by covid, tradeshows are shut down due to covid. I asked her how she interprets that as unaffected by covid considering she just told me upon my asking, that she is unemployed due to covid, yet then tells me in the same sentence that covid does not affect her employment. To top it off, her fiance is a bartender...who when I called her employer, is on furlough until August 1st IF they even open. So they did a tad bit of misrepresentation...

    I was wrong about the other guy. He didn't note job information on is application, but when I pressed, he showed me he JUST started a week ago at a new job...not even a first paycheck yet....So I have people with a mix of so-so and bad credit, violence, and 2 of them are unemployed, the only one WITH a job is so new to the job he hasn't even been paid yet.

    They offered a higher security deposit, but I am still hesitant. I have more tours tonight....

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Daniel Haberkost:

    "Under normal circumstances, I would absolutely NOT consider them."

    I think that line answers your question. The financial risk of this not working out is much more severe than another month or two of vacancy. In my opinion, you'd be taking a bet that's unevenly weighted in the negative direction. 

     Not to mention the stress....and the feeling of injustice in my stomach as a result of them living there for a while while evicting them. I have a good attorney recommendation with a 95% success rate on evictions. And WA has added a loophole for the eviction ban when they extended it: landlords who want to sell or move into the property may evict. Nonetheless, I've not had to do a judicial eviction yet, only serve notice and most bad tenants run...

  • Chandler, AZ · Member since 2020 · 295 posts · 272 votes
    6y

    I would lower the rent 10% or even 20% to get more interest and take that loss for 6 months or a year before choosing this application.  Inevitably, sooner and not later, they aren't going to be able to come up with rent as they don't appear to have a good financial track record.

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:

    It was slow in February and March finding a tenant for another rental, though I ended up with 5 qualified applicants and filled it before I had any vacancy. Now I have another  house vacant for 3 months and almost no qualified applicants, whereas the place has usually gone within a week or two to qualified applicants. People are coming up with 600 credit scores (mostly 550), pitbulls, etc.

    I have one application that is comprised of 3 room mates (common). Two are on unemployment (1 of which also gets disability) and the third just started a new job just 1 month ago. Two of the three are service workers (bartender, trade shows). One has really low credit. None have great credit, 2/3 are unemployed but getting UE and 1 is brand new at his job. One has a domestic violence conviction (a female). 

    I have no other applicants. I'm still hesitant to rent to them due to eviction moratoriums. I've considered a higher security deposit, and would be collecting first/last as usual. But it still makes me uneasy. Under normal circumstances, I would absolutely NOT consider them. But do I risk going into fall with it sitting empty? They do have verified unemployment income and disability income. One has a new job. 

    I AM getting a flood of interest since dropping the price from 2,200 to $2,000. Much more so than before. 

     I know that feeling of desperation when you are having trouble getting qualified applicants, but take my advice and do not settle for bad applicants. In the long run renting to the wrong people costs you way more. They could literally move in and stop paying rent. No jobs? Domestic violence and who cares if it is a woman!

    You know that you need to reject them. Price drops is your best move. Be patient. I have been where you are and you eventually you will find a good applicant. 

     I had that happen to me once. That lesson popped into my head with this hence the reason I posed the question to see if I'm being paranoid or not. I was desperate a few years ago, October, 1 month of vacancy. Professional tenants moved in...Luckily due to my lease structure and not being intimidated by them like 10 years of landlords had been I found out, I was able to get them out. The abandoned the property the day I served them notice. The drama kept on with threats for a few weeks thereafter, but I did not bow down to their threats as I had plenty of evidence to win if it made it to court. Eventually they got so dumb I stopped responding and they cashed what was left of their deposit. That's the lesson I've heard a few landlords talk about, better to let it sit empty sometimes, but alas....I am leaning that way, especially given the current environment and that hard learned lesson. That nonsense hit me while in grad school, a full time tech management job with long hours, and the sale and purchase of 5 houses and a few tenant turnovers hitting me, ALL at that same time I was dealing with that nonsense of the professional tenants. I literally sat on the floor preparing my case in case it came to it and told my gf at the time, I was out of steam. Too many problems at the same time. Luckily I made it through it all. Even graduated Cum Laude...

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:

    It was slow in February and March finding a tenant for another rental, though I ended up with 5 qualified applicants and filled it before I had any vacancy. Now I have another  house vacant for 3 months and almost no qualified applicants, whereas the place has usually gone within a week or two to qualified applicants. People are coming up with 600 credit scores (mostly 550), pitbulls, etc.

    I have one application that is comprised of 3 room mates (common). Two are on unemployment (1 of which also gets disability) and the third just started a new job just 1 month ago. Two of the three are service workers (bartender, trade shows). One has really low credit. None have great credit, 2/3 are unemployed but getting UE and 1 is brand new at his job. One has a domestic violence conviction (a female). 

    I have no other applicants. I'm still hesitant to rent to them due to eviction moratoriums. I've considered a higher security deposit, and would be collecting first/last as usual. But it still makes me uneasy. Under normal circumstances, I would absolutely NOT consider them. But do I risk going into fall with it sitting empty? They do have verified unemployment income and disability income. One has a new job. 

    I AM getting a flood of interest since dropping the price from 2,200 to $2,000. Much more so than before. 

     I know that feeling of desperation when you are having trouble getting qualified applicants, but take my advice and do not settle for bad applicants. In the long run renting to the wrong people costs you way more. They could literally move in and stop paying rent. No jobs? Domestic violence and who cares if it is a woman!

    You know that you need to reject them. Price drops is your best move. Be patient. I have been where you are and you eventually you will find a good applicant.

    with the eviction moratoriums and other stuff land lords in the NW face i would lower the rent to 1500 and get a great tenant for a year before i took those type of tenants personally.. All these very tough new rules in the NW for landlords is going to really really hurt the lower end renter.. No one is going to take a chance on them.. at least I would not.. although you could see rents going lower for the first time in years.

  • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I think there in Seattle you're also required to renew leases, except for dire exceptions. That could be another reason to be extra careful with who you rent to.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Agreed with previous posters.  You are not in a tenant friendly area and when, not if, they don't pay you are going to have your hands full evicting them.  I would rather sit vacant not collecting rent than not collect rent while people are taking advantage of me and I'm paying legal fees.  Is there a chance they could work out, sure but you know it is not likely or you wouldn't have posted.  Follow your process and your gut and you will be fine.  You are getting a lot more interest now, see how that plays out first before doing anything drastic and accepting people you know deep down aren't going to work out.  If you were in a more landlord friendly place where eviction was easier maybe you could mitigate the risk with a higher deposit however unfortunately when you make it harder for a landlord to evict, you make it harder for a marginal tenant to find housing. 

  • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    Just out of curiosity, what part of Seattle is your rental property in? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Eric James:

    I think there in Seattle you're also required to renew leases, except for dire exceptions. That could be another reason to be extra careful with who you rent to.

     None of my rentals are in the city limits, I'm in the suburbs of the greater Seattle area/King County. NO WAY in hell I'd ever buy property in Seattle proper due to the tenant friendly city council idiotic dead beat favor laws. You can't evict people half the year/winter or really screen tenants. You have to take scum criminal tenants. Ridiculous...

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Gabe Storm:

    Just out of curiosity, what part of Seattle is your rental property in? 

    None of my rentals are in the city limits, I'm in the suburbs of the greater Seattle area/King County. NO WAY in hell I'd ever buy property in Seattle proper due to the tenant friendly city council idiotic dead beat favor laws. You can't evict people half the year/winter or really screen tenants. You have to take scum criminal tenants. Ridiculous...


  • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 6 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:

    I tend to agree. I have a 1BR, 786 sf condo in Queen Anne and will likely rent it out at some point, and from my perspective the rational thing to do is to jack the rent up as high as possible to screen out applicants before they apply. Alternatively, if I sold it today at its currently inflated value (probably no less than 430K), that would make it unlikely to ever be available for rent given the monthly cost at that point would probably be more than $3,000, which is considerably more than comparable rents in this neighborhood.

    Anyway, I'm not renting it out right this minute, so I suppose I'll cross that bridge later.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cambridge, UK · Member since 2020 · 123 posts · 64 votes
    6y

    @Jack B. I would not since you are getting more interest now. Thats a big risk for me. 

  • Investor · Singapore · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    So at $2000/rent in Washington state should we assume the value of the property is north of $300K? So you want to give control of $300K for an undetermined period of time (no eviction) to a a bunch of unrelated, unemployed service workers one with a criminal record. And you are on the fence about this? Cant imagine why?!

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Jack B. You are “hesitant”? This is nothing but trouble you can see coming a mile away. You will Lose a LOT more than it will cost you to keep it vacant.

  • Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    If you are hesitant about this decision, you may want to consider selling and getting out of this game. This is a no brainier. The credit scores alone is enough to say no. I won't rent to anyone under 680. When you look at everything else and pretty much all of the above comments and you still have an issue on what to do?? - Good Luck and make the right choice. Don't do it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.