How to stop scam Craigslist postings from Zillow or Realtor?

How to stop scam Craigslist postings from Zillow or Realtor?

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes

Hello all!

I have a problem that I cannot figure out a good way to solve.

Whenever we have a house that comes up for rent on Zillow (or Realtor, on occasion), in short order these scammers clip our posts and put them up on Craigslist. Typically there's no contact information other than if you try to e-mail through Craigslist. Sometimes they'll post up the address, which is a hassle because people end up wandering around the property, but more often than not what happens is we have to field a bunch of phone calls from people who go digging around trying to figure out how to get in touch with us and asking if the property cost is the Craigslist price or the price on Zillow.

When I see these, I flag them which usually doesn't get them taken down right away, so then I have to contact CL directly and have them taken down. Sometimes that happens quickly, sometimes it takes days.

What is everyone else doing about this? When I cruise CL I see some of my fellow LL houses on there, so I know they're facing the same issues. I've been told to watermark my photos, which is one idea, but I wanted to see what other strategies are out there.

Thanks!

Skyline Properties
View Page
2Reply
70 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 45 posts · 37 votes
6y

This is an issue for us as well. It's a hassle and tenants are getting scammed. We've tried to contact local law enforcement to see if there's anything we can do, but we can't do anything since we aren't the individuals being scammed. We offer virtual tours as well and some scammers have actually been successful in taking "security deposits" from people too. We watermark all our photos with out phone number, website, and logo. Sometimes even with wording to "verify all information and apply only through the website above" and "avoid scams". However, people are still getting scammed. I tried reaching out to a local news station and they haven't jumped at the story. We just want tenants to know the "red flags" that pop up and how to avoid those scammers. We have tried posting to Craigslist to deter some scammers from posting it twice, but there are still issues. That's really the only potential solution I can think of - if you consider that a solution. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Hi @JD Martin,

    I wish I had a solution. Happens with our listings all the time. Calls coming in and it takes time and energy to correct. Once fixed someone else grabs it and goes. Owners have people walking around, knocking on the door, bothering tenants or happen to run into some other agent showing the place. We can't "watermark our photos" though due to MLS restrictions (Zillow etc pull right from our MLS). I hope someone has some halfway decent idea.

  • Property Manager · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 45 posts · 37 votes
    6y

    This is an issue for us as well. It's a hassle and tenants are getting scammed. We've tried to contact local law enforcement to see if there's anything we can do, but we can't do anything since we aren't the individuals being scammed. We offer virtual tours as well and some scammers have actually been successful in taking "security deposits" from people too. We watermark all our photos with out phone number, website, and logo. Sometimes even with wording to "verify all information and apply only through the website above" and "avoid scams". However, people are still getting scammed. I tried reaching out to a local news station and they haven't jumped at the story. We just want tenants to know the "red flags" that pop up and how to avoid those scammers. We have tried posting to Craigslist to deter some scammers from posting it twice, but there are still issues. That's really the only potential solution I can think of - if you consider that a solution. 

  • CA & NV · Member since 2019 · 215 posts · 378 votes
    6y

    As @Mike Cumbie mentioned, MLS apparently has rules on watermarking. So, MLS needs to be part of the solution by allowing watermarks and embedded disclosures.

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @JD Martin  Yes, this is a common (and frustrating) problem and it has happened to me before as well.  There's probably not a 100% sure-fire solution, but there are three things I generally recommend that can significantly help:  

    1) Watermark your photos with your contact phone number/email address.  (This makes it harder for someone else to steal them and use them with a different phone number/email address.)

    2) Don't post the actual address to the property in the ad.  (A general location/street is usually good enough for most people to know if they'd be interested in renting in the area, but not good enough for scammers to pull off the scam because they are usually from out of the area and won't be able to give people who contact them the actual address when asked. You can always provide the actual location to legitimate callers who contact you though, after they call and pass your pre-screening of course.)

    3) Put a "For Rent" sign in the front yard, or (if for some reason you don't want a sign in the front yard) post a flyer near the front door with your phone number.  This actually serves two purposes.  First, it's obviously another way of advertising your property is for rent (just like the "For Sale" signs that Realtors use), and I've actually rented houses using these signs to people who were driving around looking for available homes in an area where they wanted to live.  Second, it's a good way to help avoid scams because - even the people who contact the scammers on the fake ads - will at least try to go look at the outside of the house.   And, when they do, hopefully they'll see the sign/flyer and notice the different phone number/rent amount and call you to inquire, and that's when you can explain that the other person they're dealing with is a scammer and you're the only real owner.  

    I actually had one person even asked me how they could know I was the real owner and not the other person, and I told them that I could guarantee that I was the only one who could show them the INSIDE of the house or would even agree to meet them at the house IN PERSON.  That was enough to convince them because, sure enough, the scammer had told them he was "out of town on business" or something like that and couldn't meet them at the house.  These scammers always seem to be out of the area.

  • Blue Springs, MO · Member since 2015 · 481 posts · 313 votes
    6y

    Disclaimer: I have done this exactly once so far.  In a few weeks, I will do it again.  It's possibly a little hotter market than it was last time, so I may learn some new things too.

    I did most of the same things that @Kyle J. mentioned. I watermarked all my photos before posting them anywhere. They didn't get posted on an MLS, so I could do what I wanted. I also had a "for rent" sign in the yard with my phone number and Web site.

    One thing I thought of, but didn't end up doing, was posting a notice at the property, on the inside of one of the front windows.  I was going to include my photograph, contact information, and words to the effect of "If you haven't talked to the guy in this photo and seen the inside of the house, don't give anybody any money!"

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.