Selling a house with a tenant still in place

Selling a house with a tenant still in place

Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 11 votes

Hey BP I’m planning on selling a couple houses one has a long term private tenant in place and the other has a long term Section 8 tenant in the middle of a two year lease. What are some good practices for navigating situations like this? I’m not sure legally what I’m responsible for ?

0Reply
18 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Sandwich, MA · Member since 2014 · 974 posts · 636 votes
    6y

    @Matthew Tierney

    I would make sure the tenants are aware that you'll be listing the properties for sale and then list them. Depending on the buyer, some buyers may want the tenants and others may want the property delivered vacant. It's best to get it listed and find out who you're dealing with and what the ideal situation is for the buyer. 

    I've seen the cash for keys work if it is in the middle of a lease but Section 8 will probably throw another wrench in there for you. Best to get an attorney's opinion on what the implications of Section 8 will be. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Mason Hickman thanks for your insight .im gonna have the conversation with my tenant and then list the property

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.