Has anyone ever included a clause in their rental leases for tenants that want to have a home gym? I have several homes with single car garages that are near a military base. One current tenant has outfitted the garage really well with home gym equipment. And I have a prospective tenant that is interested in one of the homes with a garage for the same purpose.
I asked my trainer who owns a power lifting gym whether I should have any concerns with the home gyms, and he said that it could easily cause damage to the foundation - particularly with movements like deadlifts and presses when heavy barbells are often dropped to the ground at the end of a set. He said that he would recommend requiring a deadlift platform in any scenario where heavy weights could be dropped. They're easy and inexpensive to build, so that isn't a concern. And of course, the equipment would have to be used on an area with a slab and never over a pier and beam foundation.
I'm wondering if anyone has ever included a clause in their lease or addendum that would cover these requirements? If so, I would love to see it.
@Betsy Garrett Being that I was a competitive bodybuilder for many years I find this very interesting. Honestly I highly doubt these tenants will be lifting enough weight to damage your foundation, however I agree that there are a few simple solutions to prevent any potential issues. I have three recommendations that could help, first you could do as your trainer recommended and require the use of a deadlift platform, second option would be require them to install rubber gym flooring, these typically come as interlocking tiles which make them very easy to install/remove. The last option is requiring them to use rubber weights, these are the same style you will find in a lot of crossfit gyms. I hope this helps, best of luck with everything.
Has anyone ever included a clause in their rental leases for tenants that want to have a home gym? I have several homes with single car garages that are near a military base. One current tenant has outfitted the garage really well with home gym equipment. And I have a prospective tenant that is interested in one of the homes with a garage for the same purpose.
I asked my trainer who owns a power lifting gym whether I should have any concerns with the home gyms, and he said that it could easily cause damage to the foundation - particularly with movements like deadlifts and presses when heavy barbells are often dropped to the ground at the end of a set. He said that he would recommend requiring a deadlift platform in any scenario where heavy weights could be dropped. They're easy and inexpensive to build, so that isn't a concern. And of course, the equipment would have to be used on an area with a slab and never over a pier and beam foundation.
I'm wondering if anyone has ever included a clause in their lease or addendum that would cover these requirements? If so, I would love to see it.
Hi Betsy,
Garage floor vs weight of a SUV around 5,000 Lbs.
World Record Dead lift (Hafthor in Iceland): is only 1,104 Lbs (ONE TIME ONLY).
If a 5,000 Lb vehicle isn't breaking the garage floor, how can a dead lift where these people are not even close to 1,000 Lbs (???)
A bed with two overweight individuals on it can easily be close to 600 Lb's and that doesn't destroy foundations (???)
Maybe it's best to protect the actual floor somehow--these guys have floor padding under their weights (Horse Stall Mats).
Hafthor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kEC7X1FUIg
Dead lifting Coach Mark Ripatoe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkCBWgwml7I
Strongman Nick Best training in his garage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-KCoerZdwc
Good Luck!