Do your contractors wear masks?

Do your contractors wear masks?

Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Just finishing up a rehab with roofers, painters, plumbers, electrician, floor guys, etc. etc and no masks. Things they like are boats for fishing and guns for hunting and Trump. No lefties at my place!

4Reply
105 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 814 posts · 466 votes
6y

I make my contractors wear masks for the non-hard-labor such as estimates, communication with me or reps/tenants, etc.  If hey are doing work inside the house and I have tenants, yes, they must wear masks.  If they are doing work outside the property, I don't make them wear masks and explain to tenants that they must let them do the work and not be around.   I don't see the point to politicize and make mask a symbol of "lefties" etc and not wearing them a symbol of "macho man".  Is common sense and be polite to others around you for any given circumstance at the time. 

Beside, is a good practice to wear masks for some construction work to avoid inhaling small particles, fumes, etc. and many of these activities required to wear mask by OSHA, read the product labels and the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)... 



See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    Real American heroes, all of them.

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Jeff S. I like the sound of this crew! Are any of y'all actually IN Portland?

  • Real Estate Investor · Sheridan, IN · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Jeff S.

    Awesome!!! Standing up for America, wish we had more that would do it!!

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Bjorn Ahlblad yes actually 40 blocks from Wheeler's peaceful protesters. 

    Actually it is very hard to communicate with a mask on. Most are pretty aware of distancing. @Spencer Barker and then it occurred to me the link between Trump and construction, contractors and their guns, and just a real desire to work. Boating, fishing, camping and hunting is what they do.

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Jeff S. Remarkable, just a few blocks away! My son is a union carpenter working on a job site in Seattle-the new Hockey stadium. They have to wear masks-union mskes no exceptions-he says it makes working conditions really tough.

    Same thing there; all outdoors people, eager to work and eager to play; hunting, fishing, etc.

    That lady mayoral candidate I read about sounds like a winner-she might make Wheeler look more normal!

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    It is unbelievable @Bjorn Ahlblad. She wants to talk with them. Oh, ok. They are so reasonable that a little discussion will solve everything.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 814 posts · 466 votes
    6y

    I make my contractors wear masks for the non-hard-labor such as estimates, communication with me or reps/tenants, etc.  If hey are doing work inside the house and I have tenants, yes, they must wear masks.  If they are doing work outside the property, I don't make them wear masks and explain to tenants that they must let them do the work and not be around.   I don't see the point to politicize and make mask a symbol of "lefties" etc and not wearing them a symbol of "macho man".  Is common sense and be polite to others around you for any given circumstance at the time. 

    Beside, is a good practice to wear masks for some construction work to avoid inhaling small particles, fumes, etc. and many of these activities required to wear mask by OSHA, read the product labels and the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)... 



  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y
    My wife and I wear masks as the owners..  subs are not wearing them.  Our clients that we meet to view our homes all are wearing them..
  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Weird... dupe post!

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Not sure I understand the mask thing.... seems dumb to potentially expose yourself to a potentially fatal virus just to look tough or so you can be part of your tribe....  but whatever....

    i wear masks anytime I am indoors with tenants and contractors must too.  Outside is different as long as distancing is possible 


     Folks out protesting/speaking up to better the lives of people seems to me to be a positive thing.   Where would you be without all the rights that were won by protests in the past ?

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Josue Vargas lefties was a bit of humor. I was actually shocked to experience people who outwardly support Trump. But,they are very serious and sincere about wanting to preserve their way of life. I found a new respect for their point of view. They do not have the option to stay home and are used to risking their lives breathing rat poop dust and meeting live ones face to face, getting shocked, and not being able to breath with a mask on while in attics and exerting themselves in crawl spaces. I found I was not able to get enough air when I was carrying a solid core door upstairs and into a bathroom (yes 100 year old interior doors are solid core) with a mask on.

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Jay Hinrichs we wear masks. Neither of us would do well getting it. I did have all the symptoms with crazy chills and a fever, horrible stomach ache. Got tested and was negative. It was a virus most likely from food.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 814 posts · 466 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jeff S.:

    @Josue Vargas lefties was a bit of humor. I was actually shocked to experience people who outwardly support Trump. But,they are very serious and sincere about wanting to preserve their way of life. I found a new respect for their point of view. They do not have the option to stay home and are used to risking their lives breathing rat poop dust and meeting live ones face to face, getting shocked, and not being able to breath with a mask on while in attics and exerting themselves in crawl spaces. I found I was not able to get enough air when I was carrying a solid core door upstairs and into a bathroom (yes 100 year old interior doors are solid core) with a mask on.

    When it comes to safety, lefties or far right conversation fall on the second-or below place.  Truth is, if you work on a construction environment for large projects, there are rules to follow and several Agencies watching over the shoulders of the GC for the safety of their own employees.  Not the case for most smaller construction projects such as house renovation or honest small contractors that just want the job done within the less possible time so they can move-on to the next project.  Like I said, some situations grant the use of masks, specially working on an attic with like you said, rat poop.  They just need to buy/find the proper equipment to allow easy breathing in a safely manner.  There are a lot of options out there.  Definitely a N95 mask or the cheap ones are not adequate to breathe on an attic with rat poop.  

    Safety first! Think positively! 

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Mary M. your procedures sound reasonable, not a political statement. I originally scheduled the project with contractors having full access to the property alone and it worked well for a while until it didn't. Don't always like the conflicts that arise between these guys and don't like the distraction they create for each other plus having potential spread of covid. Finally had to throw them all together. Good thing I have owned the place a long time, would have lost my *** on this 1909 tenant abused major fixer.

  • Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Josue Vargas:

    I make my contractors wear masks for the non-hard-labor such as estimates, communication with me or reps/tenants, etc.  If hey are doing work inside the house and I have tenants, yes, they must wear masks.  If they are doing work outside the property, I don't make them wear masks and explain to tenants that they must let them do the work and not be around.   I don't see the point to politicize and make mask a symbol of "lefties" etc and not wearing them a symbol of "macho man".  Is common sense and be polite to others around you for any given circumstance at the time. 

    Beside, is a good practice to wear masks for some construction work to avoid inhaling small particles, fumes, etc. and many of these activities required to wear mask by OSHA, read the product labels and the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)... 



    I understand your point and you are right. In construction it can be very hard to wear a mask all the time. If there are no other people nearby, than it is ok if they work without mask because working hard a whole day with mask can be horrible...and it is not just one day...it's day after day. But if there are other people there, than there should be no other option than wearing the mask. Safety first as you said.

  • Investor · Columbus, MT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Jeff S. I wear a mask... When I'm running my paint sprayer... I hate breathing paint fumes!

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Josue Vargas younger people like yourself are a lot smarter when it comes to protecting yourselves. I was 40 before there was anything even on the news about lead in paint. We are mom and pop landlords owning just a few rentals just providing housing and earning a little income. 

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Joshua D.thank God for respirators! Glad to hear you are wearing one. My car painter used to be a house painter and has breathing problems from it. He has a respirator in his shop that feeds fresh air into his lungs.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Marshfield, MA · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Jeff S.

    Masks are mandatory on my project in downtown Boston. Temps are taken to enter building. Mix of union and open shop. No one wants to get sick but we need to breath. Also mix of left and right. American and immigrant. Wealthy and poor. A bit of a melting pot. Just the way that it's suppose to be.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Well honestly when i bought my new 4 story bldg with an interior stairwell and had to wear a mask while running up and down the stairs all day (and these are 9' ceilings so the stairs are looong) i had a hard time breathing. Happily the more I did it the more used to it I got. 

    So yeah- the human body is adaptable and being safe should be a priority 

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Jack Cushing read your bio what a great background. A lot of people would love to have you as a partner.

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    That is great @Mary M.. New construction and a great workout, it doesn't get any better than that.

    I just want to be able to go outside.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jeff S.:

    I just want to be able to go outside.

     Me too.  Its amazing how dark it is when the air is thick with smoke. I guess it brings home how the dinosaurs went extinct :(.

    Hoping for rain! 

  • HVAC Tech · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2015 · 423 posts · 223 votes
    6y

    @Mary Mitchell

    Even before covid 20, I've always wondered why you were wearing a mask in your profile picture. Then one day I was scrolling bp via a computer and your pic was a little bigger, and noticed you actually was not wearing a mask, it was just the lighting.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Kevin Manz haha, its a balaclava- that pic is from dead of winter and i have it pulled up to keep me warm! :) 


    i like to keep semi anon hence the non clear image - who knew I would be so on fashion for 2020! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.