Is anyone investing in the San Angelo TX area?

Most Popular Reply

Amy ZetzmanPro Member
Attorney · San Angelo, TX · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 7 votes
5y

I do! I do! Currently looking for 10+ units, either mixed use retail/residential or pure residential.  I like San Angelo with its steady, growing economy.  It's small enough right now so that institutional investors haven't taken over, but big enough to support the diverse economy.  This may change once we have an interstate, so I'm glad to be getting in now! @Jade Vaughn, what's your answer?

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Amy ZetzmanPro Member
    Attorney · San Angelo, TX · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    I do! I do! Currently looking for 10+ units, either mixed use retail/residential or pure residential.  I like San Angelo with its steady, growing economy.  It's small enough right now so that institutional investors haven't taken over, but big enough to support the diverse economy.  This may change once we have an interstate, so I'm glad to be getting in now! @Jade Vaughn, what's your answer?

  • Real Estate Agent · Abilene, TX · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Amy!!! Are you looking on the MLS or specifically off-market deals?

    I agree with your answer. I think San Angelo does have quite a few investors actively investing but there are still so many houses that are in need of our help. San Angelo also brings a lot of tenants because of the college, the base, the oil field, and/or other jobs. It's also a great retirement town, and not everyone is looking to buy a home. 

  • Amy ZetzmanPro Member
    Attorney · San Angelo, TX · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    I'm looking at both MLS and off market. Working on building relationships too. I'm not in a huge rush yet, but I'm hoping to get something under contract before the end of the year. Are you looking for anything in particular right now?

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    I have houses in San Angelo and wonder if anyone on this thread can recommend a lender. Houses are held in an LLC structure. Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Angelo, TX · Member since 2013 · 104 posts · 27 votes
    4y

    oh my!  I moved to San Angelo recently and didn't think BP reached here...

    @Kerry Baird, I have a lender I can recommend.  To be honest, crazy to see your name investing in this area.  

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Joe G., we were Air Force, and were stationed there as young airmen.  Some of our tenants work at the base. It is an odd place to invest, as our aim was to buy in laterally trending markets, rather than the wildly swinging markets.  We started buying in the last boom period, went through the bust.  What we didn't count on was losing tenants with the oil jobs slowed down, as we thought we were aiming for military, police, firemen, teachers, etc.  Houses in San Angelo are not only affected by the interest rates, but the oil patch.  

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Kerry Baird:

    @Joe G., we were Air Force, and were stationed there as young airmen.  Some of our tenants work at the base. It is an odd place to invest, as our aim was to buy in laterally trending markets, rather than the wildly swinging markets.  We started buying in the last boom period, went through the bust.  What we didn't count on was losing tenants with the oil jobs slowed down, as we thought we were aiming for military, police, firemen, teachers, etc.  Houses in San Angelo are not only affected by the interest rates, but the oil patch.  

     Hi Kerry, any zip code you can recommend at San Angelo, TX. BTW, I graduated from FIT few years ago, and will move back to Melbourne next year. 

  • Aaron NelsonPro Member
    Residential Real Estate Broker · San Angelo, TX · Member since 2013 · 72 posts · 26 votes
    4y

    I am a Realtor, property manager, and investor in San Angelo.  We had a big oil boom in 2013 that caused housing to skyrocket and it ended up busting when oil fell, but that was very short lived and only caused a temporary decrease in rents. Growth from our university absorbed the rental housing that was left from oil field workers leaving. We are traditionally a very stable market.  Since the Midland/Odessa market has created more housing for workers, we have seen less overflow of those workers into our market. So, we are much less affected by oil activity than we were in 2013-2016. Hope that helps! I'm happy to answer any questions.  

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 504 posts · 282 votes
    4y

    For me personally, I like markets with greater diversification of business. I want to avoid a situation like what happened to the San Angelo housing market when the oil market tanked. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 20 votes
    4y

    I own a 24 unit and a 10 unit in San Angelo (I'm an investor living in Austin). I have not seen my rentals affected by the oil market at all, so I'd have to agree with Aaron on this one. My apartments are all geared towards lower income renters (I rent my one bedrooms for between $585 and $610/month plus a utility fee) and I'm almost always at 100% capacity. I think in any market right now there is a high demand for affordable living. I am currently looking for my next investment and San Angelo is on the list of areas I'm looking. I also want to add that I own some SF homes in Odessa as well, and that city is no longer on my list. I've found it to be much more volatile.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.