New or Used Appliances? Buying for a Triplex.

New or Used Appliances? Buying for a Triplex.

Oakland, CA · Member since 2015 · 246 posts · 127 votes

Hi All,

I'm almost done rehabbing my vacant triplex in Oakland and will need to start shopping for appliances soon.  Each unit will have all the major appliances including dishwasher and in-unit washer/dryer.  It's B+ neighborhood, so I'd like to attract higher end tenants.

In my last 2 projects, I purchased new appliances for both. The purchases all fell during Black Friday, so I was able to get some good deals.  I also like new appliances as they come with warranties through the manufacturer, and I have extended warranties through my CC.  Less hassle overall, and no issues so far *knock on wood*.

Since I will be outfitting all 3 units at once and costs are high, I'm considering buying some appliances used.  What appliances would you consider buying used?  What would you stay away from?  Any sales I should be keeping an eye out for?

Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Calvin

2Reply
334 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y

If it's B+ I would buy new or at the very least go to the local Sears scratch & dent store to see what they have (it's mostly new stuff with cosmetic imperfections - so if an oven has a scratch on the side and it can't be seen once installed if facing a wall and it saves you a few hundred it's worth considering). 

See this reply in the discussion

66 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I'd just buy new, the repair costs for appliances are so high anymore, it almost isn't worth it to fix them when they break.  Plus for 3 units a dishwasher + stove/ oven is like $3k, add another few hundred dollars if you also need microwaves.

  • Oakland, CA · Member since 2015 · 246 posts · 127 votes
    6y

    Stove, dishwasher, refrigerator, washer, dryer x 3.  It's probably looking like at least $7,500 for all new appliances :(

  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Calvin Kwan are you sure?  It is common down here for fridge, washer, and dryer to be provided by a tenant.  I know some places that is not the case, but if you are still starting out it may be worth verifying.

  • Oakland, CA · Member since 2015 · 246 posts · 127 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Aaron K.:

    @Calvin Kwan are you sure?  It is common down here for fridge, washer, and dryer to be provided by a tenant.  I know some places that is not the case, but if you are still starting out it may be worth verifying.

    It's pretty common practice for appliances to be provided by the owner.  Obviously in-unit washer/dryer and a dishwasher is a luxury, but it'll attract a higher-end tenant.  

  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Calvin Kwan if fridge is common in your area then ok, but I'd probably still buy new so you have less repair problems in theory down the line.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    If it's B+ I would buy new or at the very least go to the local Sears scratch & dent store to see what they have (it's mostly new stuff with cosmetic imperfections - so if an oven has a scratch on the side and it can't be seen once installed if facing a wall and it saves you a few hundred it's worth considering). 

  • Contractor · Mickleton, NJ · Member since 2020 · 114 posts · 112 votes
    6y

    @Calvin Kwan scratch and dent!!!

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    We usually buy new, but I put in an order from Home Depot during their Labor Day sale and it keeps getting back ordered so I'm now trying to find a used gas range. If it's minor wear and tear and cleans up nicely it will work fine in a B+ neighborhood. I would also consider buying a used fridge under the same conditions. I wouldn't buy a used dishwasher, though. They tend to have very short lifecycles anyway and they're really hard to get clean. We never supply the fridge or washer/dryer for a rental, though we make sure the hookups are there. That's very common in our area.
  • Karen HigginsPro Member
    Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 89 votes
    6y

    In your situation, I would definitely shop for a deal, but in the long run, new appliances are going to be the way to go.  More money up front, but less headaches on the back end.  Good luck!!

  • Member since 2010 · 210 posts · 158 votes
    6y

    I would buy new. its not worth the possible headache

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 589 posts · 251 votes
    6y

    Also keep in mind it is a rental and it is made to get banged up from usage. Many used appliances can be just as good and half the price. Placing new units in rentals can be risky. 

  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Bonnie Low yeah, GE is especially bad I ordered a cooktop from Lowe's earlier this year and it took like a month and a half to finally arrive, it was a nightmare, find something in stock somewhere if you can.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
    6y

    I don't have a problem with used except for fridges. Never again! They're just too heavy, too expensive to repair when they go bad, and harder to DIY than something simple like a range or dryer. Its worth buying new just to get Lowes to schlep it up to the 4th floor and take away the old one!

  • Albrightsville, PA · Member since 2018 · 118 posts · 79 votes
    6y

    @Calvin Kwan I outfitted three rentals last year with used appliances and thought it was great until each one had issues. I found a guy on FB marketplace selling scratch and dent appliances and have replaced them. I’m rehabbing three more units now and figured in the cost of new appliances. It was a pain to go to each unit every time there was an issue. One of the used gas stoves actually caught on fire. Good luck.

  • Rental Property Investor · Clinton pa · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @James Edward I buy all of my appliances new from the scratch and dent section of Lowes . I have made a few awesome purchases by bundling multiple appliances in a single offer .

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 299 posts · 476 votes
    6y

    @Calvin Kwan I would suggest buying new appliances because by purchasing second hand ones, there's no guarantee on how long these may last and they could also break down, wasting both your time and money. The best places to purchase these appliances would be Costco, Home Depot, etc; honestly any place that gets you a great deal. 

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 299 posts · 476 votes
    6y

    @Calvin Kwan I would suggest buying new appliances because by purchasing second hand ones, there's no guarantee on how long these may last and they could also break down, wasting both your time and money. The best places to purchase these appliances would be Costco, Home Depot, etc; honestly any place that gets you a great deal. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    For a B+ neighborhood definitely buy new appliances. There should be Columbus Day sales at the big box stores. 

  • Matt StricklenPro Member
    Investor · Austin TX · Member since 2020 · 227 posts · 152 votes
    6y

    I used to be a naysayer on the extended warranties, but when I paid more for  1 service call to diagnose 1 problem on an old stove than I paid for the warranty on a new purchase, (not to mention what I'd have spent to order a 3rd hand refurbished part since the part I needed was discontinued) I decided from now on I will buy and depreciate the new ones!

  • Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Calvin Kwan -  We always opt for used if we can get them, but only if they're energy efficient models.  It's always worth it to spend the extra $ on energy saving items because it helps your tenant save money (assuming they're paying the bills).  A tenant with a lower cost of living is a tenant who is likely going to stay for longer and have a lower risk of defaulting 

  • Rental Property Investor · Brownsville, TX · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    I´m rehabbing a 7 apartment building and have to replace refrigerators and ranges. I purchased scratch and dent new units and my average cost was under $500 a piece. 

    Lowes and Home Depot do not have a decent inventory at the moment due to de COVID-19, so my options were limited and the cost too high for my budget. 

    Good luck!

    Charles.

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Calvin Kwan

    I don’t supply W/D or fridge personally. It’s one more thing for tenants to destroy/maintenance cost/replacement.

    With the amount of stuff you need, unless you find a used store with everything, is it worth searching and picking up from multiple stores/people? I would go to an appliance store and try to work a deal since you need many pieces

  • Real Estate Agent · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2014 · 486 posts · 303 votes
    6y

    @Calvin Kwan I like to look for discount products in home appliance stores.

  • Investor · IL · Member since 2019 · 151 posts · 135 votes
    6y

    I have bought used appliances in all of my rentals and had no issues yet. I bought them from a local store that picks up the trade ins from the big box stores and refurbishes them. I would not install a dishwasher in my places too much trouble that I can see coming in a rental. 

    Also If I were buying new I would go to local appliance stores because of the personal attention and service after the sale. I think many people believe that Lowes, HD, etc. offer appliances at greatly reduced pricing compared to local stores, which I have simply not found to be the case. However all things in this business are region specific.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Calvin Kwan:

    Hi All,

    I'm almost done rehabbing my vacant triplex in Oakland and will need to start shopping for appliances soon.  Each unit will have all the major appliances including dishwasher and in-unit washer/dryer.  It's B+ neighborhood, so I'd like to attract higher end tenants.

    In my last 2 projects, I purchased new appliances for both. The purchases all fell during Black Friday, so I was able to get some good deals.  I also like new appliances as they come with warranties through the manufacturer, and I have extended warranties through my CC.  Less hassle overall, and no issues so far *knock on wood*.

    Since I will be outfitting all 3 units at once and costs are high, I'm considering buying some appliances used.  What appliances would you consider buying used?  What would you stay away from?  Any sales I should be keeping an eye out for?

    Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Calvin

     I have found a guy here in Columbus who sets me up with an appliance set, stainless steel, almost brand new for $600 a pot. AND HE DELIVERS!! I don't ask if their stolen, I just accept the low price. I priced out the appliances brand new, it was over $3,000. I have bought 5 sets so far and its saved me thousands!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.