New or Used Appliances? Buying for a Triplex.

New or Used Appliances? Buying for a Triplex.

Oakland, CA · Member since 2015 · 246 posts · 127 votes

Hi All,

I'm almost done rehabbing my vacant triplex in Oakland and will need to start shopping for appliances soon.  Each unit will have all the major appliances including dishwasher and in-unit washer/dryer.  It's B+ neighborhood, so I'd like to attract higher end tenants.

In my last 2 projects, I purchased new appliances for both. The purchases all fell during Black Friday, so I was able to get some good deals.  I also like new appliances as they come with warranties through the manufacturer, and I have extended warranties through my CC.  Less hassle overall, and no issues so far *knock on wood*.

Since I will be outfitting all 3 units at once and costs are high, I'm considering buying some appliances used.  What appliances would you consider buying used?  What would you stay away from?  Any sales I should be keeping an eye out for?

Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Calvin

2Reply
312 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y

If it's B+ I would buy new or at the very least go to the local Sears scratch & dent store to see what they have (it's mostly new stuff with cosmetic imperfections - so if an oven has a scratch on the side and it can't be seen once installed if facing a wall and it saves you a few hundred it's worth considering). 

See this reply in the discussion

66 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 54 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    @Calvin Kwan. Check out Facebook Marketplace spend about 30 minutes looking around and then make your decision. I have not put new appliances in years but I have Airbnb rentals all short-term the ovens practically never get used. And I defy anybody to tell me they ever fixed a microwave or a refrigerator

    That was not at least 15 years old . AC s

    The same. You'll be surprised how many appliances 2 to 3 years old are for sale

    I get my best deals in New York City when people leave their high-end apartments they tend to leave air conditioners in the windows the Super's get them and they have storage rooms filled with appliances that's where I get my best deals.

  • Developer · NY/NJ/PA · Member since 2018 · 758 posts · 935 votes
    5y

    For Class B+, Brand new. Go get some scratch and dents for a reasonable price if you can find them. 

  • Oakland, CA · Member since 2015 · 246 posts · 127 votes
    5y

    Thanks for all the great feedback!  I'm currently checking out American Freight, which is the scratch/dent outlet for Sears.  I believe some of those items have manufacturers warranties.  I've found some good deals on FB and CL, but would rather have peace of mind.  Hoping to see some sales during Columbus day, or getting lucky shopping around.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    it will be 100 plus just for a service call, not including any work needing to be done.....  I would never put used in a rental its not worth it. maybe see if you can get a contractors discount or at the least a bulk discount for buying multiples.  You also can get deals on "packages" .....  call around to the local stores - not HD or the like...   they will  be more able to give you a discount. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    also, buy everything the same so if you need to get replacement parts (burner bowls, fridge door handles, microwave bulbs, microwave vent filters) they are all the same and easier to keep on hand. 

  • Frantz JosephPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · GA · Member since 2017 · 62 posts · 44 votes
    5y

    @Dell J. Yes dell you will be spaying a premium for appliances this year due to covid 19

  • Frantz JosephPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · GA · Member since 2017 · 62 posts · 44 votes
    5y

    @Gary L Wallman my brand new appliance packages tend to cost me roughly $1500 not counting washer and dryer. I like to go with 28-29 inch fridges they are significantly cheaper than the standard 32-36 inch fridge. You can get a very nice fridge in those sizes for $600-650 brand new. Followed by a 500 range and a microwave for $200 and a dishwasher for 350-389. Then I add my 10% coupon if I’m getting from Lowe’s. 15% coupon if I’m getting everything from homedepot.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Calvin Kwan I typically get refurbed with warranty on my long term c or b class rentals. I find they last just as long and have the security of warranty as well. Just find a local appliance shop to network with.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fleming Island, FL · Member since 2019 · 85 posts · 104 votes
    5y

    @Dell J.

    Nope the shortage is nationwide.

  • Investor · Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 105 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    @Calvin Kwan I know you asked if new or used and your decision is to buy them. But we do not supply any appliance at all. This makes the tenants invest and it results in longer stay and zero headache over repair etc. we just have to make sure moving in/out does not damage the property.

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2020 · 540 posts · 285 votes
    5y

    @Calvin Kwan

    Habitat for Humanity ReStore has good used appliances. Some come checked for electric, water,

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    If you must provide all appliances, I would buy new for the peace of mind since you want to attract higher end tenant. 

    Goodluck man!

  • Eric S.Pro Member
    Investor · Concord, NH · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    Scratch and dent new is the way to go. I did an entire Reno on my primary house and bought stuff you wouldn’t believe is “scratch and dent”. Top of the line whirlpool stove fridge and dishwasher was 2100. I bought a brand new matching microwave off craigslist. I live in CT too so it’s not like it’s cheap for anything around here. It took me months to find what the defects were. Super small things no one will ever notice. Plus a lot of scratch and dent inventory is REPO. People buy it, never come get it or have it for a couple months and don’t make payments. The appliance manufacturers don’t take that stuff back. 

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Calvin Kwan. If you have a Home Depot card they put out 0% financing coupon for 24 months if you spend over 2k. Then your new renters can pay for them, you just have to pay them off before the time runs out or they charge 24% interest for the entire time.

  • Rental Property Investor · Victor, ID · Member since 2017 · 51 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    @Calvin Kwan

    It might just be my experience but it seems that when a rental has crappy appliances I always end up with tenants that aren’t very good. If the property and appliances are cared for, well maintained/updated, etc., they attract better more responsible tenants. 🤷‍♀️

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Calvin Kwan

    I buy new from Lowe’s for the simple fact that delivery/install/haul away are included and I’m usually getting 5-15% off with their pro deal + some sale they’re offering. I’m not trying to spend a day hauling a stove up flights of stairs just to save $200 (with the real risk of it needing repair in the short term). 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.