Property Manager · Richmond, VA · Member since 2018 · 36 posts · 19 votes
I’m looking for a new tenant and a nice couple applied. One of them is in the army and may be deployed in the next year. If that happens, my understanding is they can legally break the lease and leave. (At least that’s what I’m told.) Is this true?
Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
@Morgan Porter
If I had a military tenant that was being deployed, I’d thank him or her for their service and wish them luck. My freedom is worth more than a few gals of paint or a week of work to get the house ready again.
Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y
@Morgan Porter - Yes. There's a military clause that is non-negotiable. That's one of the biggest drawbacks to renting to military. Unexpected and sudden turnover
Property Manager / Licensed Realtor · Toledo/Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 244 posts · 262 votes
5y
Hey There @Morgan Porter There are some goods and bads with renting to military, unfortunately, being deployed is a bad for everyone involved. I managed a rental to a married couple and her husband was deployed but she stayed back and fulfilled the lease.
Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
@Morgan Porter
If I had a military tenant that was being deployed, I’d thank him or her for their service and wish them luck. My freedom is worth more than a few gals of paint or a week of work to get the house ready again.
If the service member needs to leave because of duty, you will get proper paperwork.
The best thing to do, is to have the rents come right out of the service member's pay. This way, YOU get paid first, and there is no Stop payment unless legal requires it!
Just remember, that if a service member needs to bug out, you can offer storage for his things and then get another service member to finish the lease. With the storage, be sure that too is coming out of the pay!