Normal wear and tear???

Normal wear and tear???

Investor · Beaver Falls, PA · Member since 2015 · 275 posts · 82 votes

Hello Bigger Pockets! I am experiencing my first vacancy and wanted to ask a question concerning the security deposit. The tenant really did a number on the place and I want to make sure I’m in my legal rights to keep the deposit for repairs? Now keep in mind this place was only rented for 1 year

Damages and estimated cost of repair:

Walls / Cabinets covered in magic markers(over 75 different places with multi colored magic markers and crayons throughout house and in cabinets) $1035.00( Estimate from my painter)

Stained vanity sink with red hair dye 50.00

Broken shower curtain rod for claw foot tub 54.00

Garbage removal from under appliances and in heating vents(packed with garbage) 25.00

Dog damage to paint on door 25.00

Stuffed food in electrical outlet 5.00

Damaged heating vents x 2 30.00

Ripped/slashed/painted stools 25.00

Missing toilet paper holder 3.00

Non cleaned over 10.00

Re paint kitchen island (Market Damage) 50.00

Rusted appliances from slime sitting on them for a year- 50.00

Stained LVP 10.00

Chipped Granite 10.00

0Reply
106 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5y

@John Matthew Johnston

Any time I use a deposit for repairs I hire out there work so that I have receipts to back up my charges. Also, why would I donate my family time by doing the labor myself to a tenant that trashed my place? I’m handy too, but nah. Hire it out for peace of mind and speed.

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Joe Splitrock

    For the crayon / marker it’s the one final thing I’ll use oil primer on. Everything else gets Kilz Restorer (water based but right about as good as oil). Crayon especially bleeds through most any colour of paint even at coat #3.

     I wouldn't even recommend oil primer over the crayon. Nothing really sticks to the wax, so it is better to remove it before painting. I would use a Magic Eraser to remove the crayon before painting. But I agree oil based primer is better in certain situations like this. 

  • Investor · USA · Member since 2015 · 325 posts · 447 votes
    5y

    @Bjorn Ahlblad

    In my lease agreement it states I can charge for hourly work. It was provided by Washington Landlord Association.

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Kai Van Leuven:

    @Bjorn Ahlblad

    In my lease agreement it states I can charge for hourly work. It was provided by Washington Landlord Association.

    Excellent thanks for pointing that out I use the same lease, maybe I should read it. How much do you charge? 

  • Investor · USA · Member since 2015 · 325 posts · 447 votes
    5y

    @Bjorn Ahlblad

    It’s a fill in section. I think I am at $50-75/hour.

    For some reason I have read that thing line by line too many times... lol.

  • Real Estate Investor · Denver-metro, CO · Member since 2008 · 58 posts · 15 votes
    5y

    Have you checked to see what the Landlord/Tenant resources in your state say is allowed for deductions? Colorado has some very specific guidance, hopefully your state does as well. 

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y

    Here is the most important issue: what will you do differently when you interview your next tenant?

    After finding the property, choosing the right tenant is the most important thing. This is why I to this day do the final interview! 

    You can say the tenant is your asset, because the tenant produces the cash flow. The tenant can also be a liability, for not paying rent, cost of eviction and damages. Comparativley you got away easy.

    I am not sure how Washington compares to Wisconsin, but we are pretty landlord friendly. However, I don't think it matters that much, here is how I look at this. The most important thing is that the tenant understands the damages, this is why I do a walk through with them. Then there is no argument about damages and usually no dispute about the cost. If they move out, expect their deposit and suddenly get a surprise letter, you expose yourself to complaints.

    Also: cleaning beats painting! If the cleaning causes the old paint to look bad, then you re-paint. Try different cleaners and solvents! Google helps!

    And yes, some of your charges are very low.

  • Investor · Beaver Falls, PA · Member since 2015 · 275 posts · 82 votes
    5y

    @Joe Splitrock Thank you for the response!, seems like great advice

  • Investor · Beaver Falls, PA · Member since 2015 · 275 posts · 82 votes
    5y

    @Marcus Auerbach

    Thank You for the reply, I will from now on take the screening process more seriously, I believe you are right about me getting off easy lol.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.