How much do you do between tenants?

How much do you do between tenants?

Investor · SE, MI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 461 votes

Hi all,

New landlord here again...

So what do you normally do between tenants besides change the locks? I'm talking in an ideal world, where the tenant has left the unit reasonably clean and there are no outstanding maintenance issues...

Do you paint? Have the carpets cleaned? Windows?

Sorry if this has been covered before, I couldn't find it.

Kelly

0Reply
152 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 231 votes
13y

in additon to the above, couple things I get on is: replace the air filter & the range hood filter; empty the gutters.

As a matter of fact, whenever I'm at a property for a repair, I make it a habit to always check for these things.

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Holiday, FL · Member since 2013 · 571 posts · 221 votes
    12y
    That is a great idea! Mind if I steal it for myself?

    stephen
    -------------


    Originally posted by Michele Fischer:
    I like to provide new doormats as a kind of housewarming gift, plus a fire extinguisher and any specialized floor cleaner. And a roll of TP hanging up. We clean the carpets (and charge them) if they don't leave a receipt proving they did, assuming we didn't tell them we'd be replacing the carpet so they don't need to. I consider 4 hours of cleaning for one year of tenancy to be the expected level, and charge them for anything above that.
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Michele Fischer:
    I like to provide ... a fire extinguisher ....

    @Michele Fischer

    @Michele Fischer - I have to provide a mounted fire extinguisher with a certain rating just to get the Certificate of Occupancy for all of my rentals.

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    So far my move-out have costed me little to none. minus wear and tear I expect my house to look like it did when the moved in. Therefore I expect receipts for the carpet cleaning and house cleaning. Wear and tear is not stains on the carpets or dents in the wall. Since all my turnover has been with tenants have not stayed longer than 1 year, I haven't had to worry about costs.

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    12y

    I go through the place in details, check AC, WH, fridge, range, microwave, dishwasher, washer, dryer etc etc etc...

    Clean out trash, they always leave trash.

    Have to have the inside of the fridge cleaned, usually dried up leaks and drips. Under the kitchen sink and lav sink.

    Check all the blinds.

    Wash window draperies.

    Pest control the inside and outside.

    Touch up painting.

    Check all hoses replace hoses if necessary, turn on and off all stop valves, replace with new quarter turn if necessary.

    Garbage disposer gets a thorough clean - ice, vinegar, hot water, bleach.

    replace AC filter.

    WD40 every door hinge.

    Recaulk exterior door jamb if necessary.

    New light bulbs where needed.

    New backup battery for smoke alarm.

    No carpet cleaning, all my properties are tiled porcelain or natural stone.

    Inventory of hurricane panels and hardware.

    I keep an inventory of drawer pulls that is needed for each property and buy enough when there is a clearance sale. Last property I went in and replace all the kitchen drawer pulls, closet bifold door handles, medicine cabinet and lav cabinet draw pulls.

    I change locks only after a new lease been signed, not while it's vacant.

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    We use turn-over check lists for cleaning, maintenance/repair and upgrades.

    Years ago, a couple of guys on our maintenance team thought I was nuts for cleaning an apartment before all the repairs, painting, upgrades, etc were done. I do a first "general" cleaning early on and a second "detail" cleaning at the end, just before the carpets get professionally cleaned. I asked the guys, wouldn't you rather have a clean toilet and sink to use and a clean refrigerator for storing your lunch and beverages? Wouldn't you rather work in a clean environment and be able to see past the grime? Enough said. Never heard a peep about it since.

    There are a few things I like to have at the vacant unit during the turnover. Here's the list: liquid hand soap, paper towels, kleenex, toilet paper, plunger, blue paper shop towels, canister of clorox wipes, first aid kit, large garbage can, large garbage bags, flashlight, step stool, contractor's roll of paper for floor protection, handyman tool kit, bottled water for the crew, N95 respirators, hearing protection ear muffs, cleaning gloves, work gloves, safety glasses, cleaning supplies caddy, repair supplies caddy, inspection tools caddy, shop vac, broom, light bulbs. The workers bring their own tools for specific jobs they do. We provide the materials necessary for those jobs.

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    When the new tenant moves in, we present them with a gift that is basically a starter kit of cleaning products and other items that help protect our property from damage. The tenants don't expect it and are quite appreciative. The WOW! factor starts the tenancy out well. It also gives emphasis to the idea of CLEAN.

    Plastic Cleaning Bucket: Awesome degreaser, Woolite carpet spot cleaner, white vinegar, baking soda, tub/shower cleaner, Magic Eraser.

    Reusable Shopping Tote: cutting board, kitchen garbage bags, picture hooks, dishwasher detergent or dish washing liquid, shower curtain liner, plunger, door mat.

    The liquid hand soap, toilet paper, paper towels and Clorox wipes that I brought during the turnover are left for the tenant to use.

    We present the rental agreement in a folio that the tenant keeps. In the folio we also have a welcome letter with important contact numbers, an emergency preparedness brochure, instructions on how to use a fireplace, recycling instructions, information about the nearest urgency care clinic, a walking map of the area from the chamber of commerce, etc.

    The appliance user manuals and fire extinguishers are included as items that stay with the property for tenants to use as needed. We demonstrate all appliances and talk about fire safety, using information from our local fire marshall.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.