Tenant wants landlord to intervene with personal issues

Tenant wants landlord to intervene with personal issues

Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 1 vote

The tenant is a lady who "in her words" is being harassed by another tenant. She cannot provide proof and the other party has not done anything illegal. She has reached out to us several times to resolve this conflict but we are not in a position to act as guidance counselors or the authorities.  Has anybody else dealt with this?  how did you resolve this?  

Any advice would be appreciated.

0Reply
26 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    If there is nothing illegal happening, I would likely just offer to let the unhappy tenant out of their lease. This will let you know how bad the situation is. ie, you tell the tenant, "I realize you're not happy with the situation here and what I can do is release you from the lease obligations. Just pay for the time you're here and find another residence that works better for you."

    My guess is that they won't leave but will at least feel like you acknowledged their situation. If they do leave, turn the unit, raise the rent to market rates and move on.

  • Rental Property Investor · Hartford, CT · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Jayming Fang

    Are any rules listed in lease? If so, are the tenant's actions breaking any rules you've set? If not, I agree with the ask for police reports comment. If there are, hold the tenant to abiding by the rules set forth in the contract. Of there are none, consider adding a code of conduct to future lease agreements.

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    I have a different take on this:  by law, the tenant has the right to the peaceful use of the property.  It doesn't mean no noise, no neighbors - but it does mean the tenant is allowed to live in the property rented from you "peacefully."  I don't see it as a personal issue; it doesn't have to be illegal to be "not-peaceful."  I don't know what she is claiming but consider sending both of the tenants written notice to quit.  Let them both know that any behavior that is directed at another tenant that is meant to alarm, torment, terrorize - including name calling - is considered harassment under the law and would be a lease violation that could result in their eviction.  

    As you can probably tell, I have dealt with this more than once and it has gotten worst during Covid. Bottom line is there are a whole lot of people who have trouble "adulting." Don't get involved - just don't tolerate it either. Tell them both to quit immediately - or be subject to eviction. It only takes one bad tenant to ruin your ROI...protect your investment and manage to your lease.

    Been there, done this, it works when it's "explained" clearly.  Dang fools can't play well in the playground...

  • Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Patricia can I dm you?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.