Rental Property Refinance - HOW TO? w/o strong W2

Rental Property Refinance - HOW TO? w/o strong W2

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Can someone describe how the process of refinancing out of a rental property works? What criteria do you need to meet? Does it have to be done through a traditional bank or are there lenders who don't look at W2 income?

We have done a handful of flips and would like to shift into the rental property world, specifically the BRRRR method. We have some capital and a hard money lender lined up (who we use on our flips) for renovations. Our downfall is our lack of W2's/steady income to prove to banks. My husband is a school teacher (makes about $82k/year) and I am a full time stay at home mom of three/interior designer/real estate agent/investor. My fear is that we will not qualify for a refi. Are there NON-traditional banks who will do a refi for us? I've heard about asset based lending companies. What are there general terms and rates? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!! THANK YOU!

0Reply
8 views

Most Popular Reply

Cashiers, NC · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 5 votes
5y

My wife and I just went through this in North Carolina. I am self employed and she is a high school director. Call me to discuss and then I can can also send you some emails we received from our bank. Easier phone call than to write a book on this post. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Cashiers, NC · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    My wife and I just went through this in North Carolina. I am self employed and she is a high school director. Call me to discuss and then I can can also send you some emails we received from our bank. Easier phone call than to write a book on this post. 

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Thanks, James. I will give you a call around 12:45 today. Much appreciated!

  • Realtor · Las Vegas / Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 32 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    Call around to lenders and ask who can use the rental income for you to qualify. Good luck!

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    @Ashley Pohlman it seems as though you've given up before even trying. Go talk to some local lenders. You want to stay away from the large lenders like WF that send their docs off to an underwriter in another state to run algorithms. Go talk to real lenders that lend their own money and you'll have better luck. Don't give up without even trying first!

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.