How do I depreciate property when primary residence in between?

How do I depreciate property when primary residence in between?

Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes

I purchased an investment property in 2011 which was rented out through 2016 and then became my primary residence for the past 4 years. I would like to place the property back into service in 2021 with the idea of eventually doing a 1031 exchange for another property with the intent of it eventually becoming my primary residence. I'm not sure what steps to take regarding depreciation. Do I continue with the original depreciation schedule for my 2021 tax filing, in which the property will be year 6 of the 27.5 year depreciation schedule, or do I need to establish a new depreciation schedule?

0Reply
24 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Nampa, ID · Member since 2017 · 439 posts · 361 votes
    5y

    I would chat with your CPA. 

  • Professional · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 876 posts · 301 votes
    5y

    Good question and agree with @Sarah Brown that the best course of action is to consult with your CPA.

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Grant Winslow

    You should be keeping track regarding the accumulated depreciation through 2016. Those don't disapear just because it was a personal residence.

    Also, regarding the basis, you may potentially get more depreciable basis if you made any major improvements to the property during the years it was a personal residence.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.