Tenant wants to move to larger unit with dogs

Tenant wants to move to larger unit with dogs

Investor · SE, MI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 461 votes

Hi all,

I am wondering about keeping some apartments pet free, but in the same house where there are already dogs (previous landlord allowed)?

I have a triplex with two one bedroom units in it. One will be vacant in August, the tenant from the other one wants to move in since it is larger (543 sq ft vs 836). She has two small dogs and pays $10 extra per month per dog for them as per the lease with the previous landlord (we bought the house in April).

My problem is three fold- I'd rather avoid having dogs in the larger unit. When we looked at the house, her apartment stunk, but when I did the walk through before closing it seemed fine, so maybe one of the dogs had an accident and it wasn't typical. But if they are stinking up the place, I really don't want them moving into a nicer unit with newer carpet.

Second problem is the rent- she pays (with the $20 extra) only $25 less than the current tenants pay. I have been advertising different prices to try to fill the vacancy, and right now have it listed for less than she is paying, but the tenant would be paying gas so it'd work out about the same. I have no idea what she's seen for a price but would rather she pay more for the bigger unit obviously.

Third problem is the unit she is vacating will be harder to fill since it is smaller, so I'll have to take less rent there too.

Obviously, I will double check the current condition of her apartment before I let her move to the bigger unit. Any damages (ie nasty carpet) would come out of the security deposit, but if the carpets are that bad then she's no getting the other unit.

I'm fine with the extra $20 per month the previous landlord set up for the dogs, but also would rather have extra amount in the security deposit for cleaning up any pet issues. I usually charge a $300 pet cleaning deposit, so if I do that and not collect the extra per month we're talking a difference of $60.

So, thanks for reading all of that, what would you do? I only have one other prospect for the apartment at the moment, she is out of state but her friend looked at it for her today.

Kelly

0Reply
11 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2012 · 82 posts · 10 votes
    13y

    I would say go with your first thought, and keep them pet-free. Just let the current tenant know that she is grand-fathered in with a sweet deal (no pet deposit). I'm interested to hear from others if that would be discrimination to deny her moving to your other unit based on having pets. But that's the angle I would play.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    13y

    I have had a "no pet" policy for some time. Recently finishing up reading "The Unofficial Guide To Real Estate Investing" the author suggest renting to owners of pets. He states you will have many more applicants because they are shunned by many landlords. Interesting idea!

  • Wholesaler · Holiday, FL · Member since 2013 · 571 posts · 221 votes
    12y

    I am going to a strict no pets policy because I cannot stand the smell of dog poop. Something about it more and more gets on my fighting side.

    Why do dog owners leave it laying around all the time? Do they enjoy it?

    stephen

    ------------

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 951 votes
    12y

    I wouldn't give her the other unit. With the dogs I'd just let her stay where she is as long as she's paying the rent on time and if she leaves then she leaves. I always avoid pets at my multi family properties because it just leads to tenant drama (dog barking, dog poop, dog bit me, etc). I allow pets at most of my single family homes but there's just too much to go wrong in a multi family situation with shared walls and a shared yard.

  • Rental Property Investor · Brookline, MA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 777 votes
    12y

    I have a strict no pet policy that I enforce only as an excuse to pull money from their security deposit if I have to deal with pet messes in a any way. Honestly, I've never had a problem with pet stink during or after a tenant.

    In VT I can charge an additional 1/2 month's rent for a pet deposit, unless I'm renting out a place in Burlington. I generally do not, but did on one occasion when the woman had 3 large dogs. I happily gave her back the entire security deposit and pet deposit as the place was spotless when I got it back.

    Hard wood floors are also better with pets. You might have to do a light sanding between tenants if they had big dogs. Hardwood rarely holds smells of any kind if it is sealed correctly.

  • Wholesaler · Holiday, FL · Member since 2013 · 571 posts · 221 votes
    12y
    Patrick,

    You're right down the road from me - so I would think that we share the tenant base, so to speak.

    Although I really have come to hate dog owners in general and as tenants specifically - you say that liking them is working for you. <g> So let me ask you this: what special considerations for you make / what additional screening measures to you take in the event of screening a pet owner?

    And also: does your consent also extend to cats in your properties?

    stephen
    -------------


    Originally posted by Patrick L.:

    . . . . I allow pets at most of my single family homes . . .
  • Investor · SE, MI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 461 votes
    12y

    Update-

    She is still in the same unit, paying an extra fee to be month to month.

    I currently have 6 apartments, this is the only one with dogs, and only because she already lived there with the dogs when we bought the triplex. From here on out, no more dogs. I have nothing against dog owners, have 2 myself, but IMO dogs don't belong in apartments, no matter how small. I might consider it in a house, should we buy one down the road though.

  • Investor · Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2012 · 822 posts · 441 votes
    12y

    You're going to deal with turnover costs of getting the current tenant with pets place in rent-ready condition by moving her to the new place, so this clearly needs to benefit you before you agree for her to move into larger place. You can toss out a healthy increased rent figure that would make it worth your while and require the pet deposit or one time fee. If its too high for her, then she would decide to stay put hopefully. BTW, $300 is the same as $25/ month, but by charging monthly, you collect the fee for multiple years potentially vs one time fee. If she decides to stay put, and she's been there for some time, consider offering to arrange a carpet cleaning service at her existing place to control odor and to help with tenant loyalty.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    12y

    If you move her to the new unit , and other prospective tenants see her dogs , you will have a hard time saying "they were granfdathered" . By moving her you would be allowing dogs since you would be signing a new lease with her .

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Kelly N.

    If you don't like allowing animals I wouldn't move her. Personally I allow animals. It give me an edge up on everyone else. Plus they pay either a refundable security deposit or a non refundable pet fee. Since they already pay one months rent in deposit. Any issue with the house i take it out of the deposit.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.