A tenant was $100 short on the rent and paid me yesterday, the 6th, with the $25 late fee.
I'm thinking, one day, you couldn't borrow $100 for one day from someone to avoid paying an extra $25?
Let's see, $25 interest for one day on $100...isn't that 9,125% interest annualized? Wait, that can't be right...
That's not a very nice attitude, Bill. Times are tough for a lot of people, everyone's situation is different. Maybe the $25 wasn't worth the guy having to swallow his pride in order to ask people for money...that is something I can relate to. I wasn't born into money so trust me when I tell you that I know what it's like to struggle. Now that I'm doing well, I won't make fun of or ignore when others make fun of people that are in a situation I was once in. You guys are better than this.
Harry, you're right, I wasn't. Again, if you don't have the means to fix someting you improvise, adapt and overcome the best you can with what you have available.
Mike B., I understand your thoughts and agree as well, especially about Texans! LOL
Okay, I admit it, I have cut some of my tenants a little slack at times, one day, com'on, I wouldn't have got the check to the bank any quicker if I had collected it the day before. But several days, no, they need to pay.
Mortgage payments or contract purchase agreements, sorry, no tolerance there, post marked the day due cuts it, after that the late fee applies, the accounting shows it as deposits are applied the day received, couldn't fudge that unless I paid it for them, I don't make payments for other people. If the fee amount wasn't there, it is accrued and eventually paid as agreed, there are just legal requirements here folks. So, that's the way it is....... :)
The point isn't about me or you. You keep using, "you" and "I" but that's not what I'm trying to share. The point is other people take offense, and just because you don't take offense to something, doesn't mean others do not as well. We were discussing whether the comment was offensive, the answer is, it is to some, and isn't to others. It's not cut and dry as you try to make it seem. Respect for other people pain points should be kept in mind. Well, honestly, you can say what you want, but if you don't want to cause an uproar and resentment among fellow BPers, you shouldn't.
I'm sure no one here hate's poor people. It was merely just an ignorance to others feelings. Not done out of hate or anything like that. All I'm saying is, maybe, if you want to keep this forum a more welcoming, inviting place, you should hesitate to say racy comments. But feel free to say whatever you please. People just may not like it...
But I still think you and the others a still good people!
-Manuel
All feelings aside, Bill Gulley's comment had a LOT of wisdom/experience behind it. Many much longer comments were made to try and explain what he was able to sum up in 5 words... You better believe he had all those views in mind and wasn't just "taking a pop shot at poor people."
This is the Landlord/Rental Property sub-forum and I come here to learn from the wisdom of the successful people that have came before me. I usually don't frequent this sub-forum to debate over peoples perceptions of attitudes. But since the topic is so hot, I'll indulge just a lil bit :)
Being poor/struggling, knowing what it's like to struggle, or being savvy/well off doesn't change the fact that certain habits people have produce certain results in their lives. It's called cause and effect. I would think, that someone that truly experienced a progression through these stages in life, would understand that concept the most. Mike B.
I, for some reason, always feel a conviction to shed light on these habits/ways of thinking when I can. I get through to some people, most give blank stares/get defensive. Either way, my intention is good and if someone gets offended, oh well. If people learn to develop more healthy/more productive habits they can change their situation no matter where they're at. I'm sure many of us hustling for a brighter future, like Manuel Acuna believe this or they wouldn't be doing it.
Keep your eyes on the prize ;)
The thing I've learned from it all, is that being poor or rich has little to do with the size of your bank account, or the number on your paycheck. Those things are symptoms, not the be all and end all. To me, the biggest "poor" behavior is believing that external forces control your financial well being, not you. That is a lot closer in my mind to actually defining "poor". You see tons of examples. People claiming a lower number of dependents on their W4 so that the tax man can save money for them because they can't (obviously they can since they didn't starve with the higher withholding). An extended family member once had a scratch off lottery ticket addiction. It's the same thing - losing belief that you can improve your financial situation, and handing over the responsibility to luck.
...
Harry M. - that's a good dose of wisdom right there!
Okay, so first, just because something is a "very true statement" doesn't mean it's not offensive or to others, "vile". That statement is obviously going to tick off some people, everyone could guess that before even reading pass that comment.
If you told me my sister is, "fat", and her, "fat ways" would keep her fat I would be mad at you. But in defense you may say, "Well it's a very true statement. Why get mad at something that is based on fact?" Sorry if I'm so sensitive, but stating that true statement wouldn't be something I'd take kindly to.
And to both of you, it's not at all a true statement/generalization. And if you think so, then you generalized me too, and practically my whole family. Last year I made probably around $8k. I eat Ramen noodles and Spanish Rice everyday. Sound poor? But guess what, I don't, "go to the grocery store to pay bills... get behind on rent and can't find anyone to loan [me] 100 for the day because [I] don't have any friends with 100 to give... make financial decisions more with emotions than logic... spend what little money they get very quickly because they aren't used to having it - like a binge of a sort."
And neither does most of my family. The great majority of it doesn't.
But I'm glad you think that about me and my poor family, good to know.
-Manuel
Manuel, there are exceptions to everything. Congratulations on being exceptional.
K. Marie Poe the dates on the money orders were 1 day apart, I think one was on 6/3 and one was on 6/4 (or something like that). It could have also been that someone else owed her money and gave her a money order which was just made out to me. I don't question where they get the money as long as they are not doing anything illegal. (I know this tenant mentioned that she sometimes does hair styling or something on the side.)