Cash for keys, or file for eviction and a lawsuit?

Cash for keys, or file for eviction and a lawsuit?

Chattanooga, TN 路 Member since 2019 路 9 posts 路 3 votes

Hello! Let's say you have a tenant that has been great for the past year, never calls you, always pays on time, and you happen to like him/her; because they're so easy to manage. You've gone to this property routinely, to do inspections and they have taken great care of your unit. Unfortunately, they stop paying rent for whatever reason, and now you're having to kick them out. You don't want to hurt their credit report by filing for eviction, and instead you choose to do cash for keys (because you like them). HOWEVER, once you go to have that talk with them, you realize that they've trashed your rental unit since the last time you've been there. At this point what would you do? Would you still proceed with the cash for keys just to get rid of them, or would you file an eviction, and a lawsuit to make them pay you for the repairs?

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it!

0Reply
22 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor 路 Clarksville, TN 路 Member since 2016 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Dairon Ruano

    Evict them for the lease violation of trashing the unit and once you have possession get awarded for damages and the back rent. Their credit score is their responsibility. The way they've maintained your property reflects the consideration they have for you.

  • Chattanooga, TN 路 Member since 2019 路 9 posts 路 3 votes
    5y

    @Todd Rasmussen thanks! I'm just trying to come up with scenarios, for once I become a landlord myself lol. I appreciate your help!

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Clarksville, TN 路 Member since 2016 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Dairon Ruano:

    @Todd Rasmussen thanks! I'm just trying to come up with scenarios, for once I become a landlord myself lol. I appreciate your help!

     Oh it was hypothetical. I got all riled up on your behalf lol. We have worked through though times with people, especially recently; but if someone is just taking advantage, there is no second guessing on our part. TN evictions are so easy, I don't know when you'd have to ever do cash for keys (post covid)

  • Chattanooga, TN 路 Member since 2019 路 9 posts 路 3 votes
    5y

    @Todd Rasmussen 馃ぃ馃ぃ yeah man, I've been coming up with the most ridiculous scenarios in my head, because I'm sure someone here has had some experience with it. It'll help me a ton down the road.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.