Buying our first multi million, multi unit property in Chicago.

Buying our first multi million, multi unit property in Chicago.

Member since 2021 · 20 posts · 8 votes

Hello all. Member of my family are cashing out on an industrial real estate investment that they held more than a decade. We will be under contract as of this week. In order to defer some of the capital gains, we are looking to reinvest in rental properties. We own several other 2-4 units in the city, and as for myself I have flipped a couple of different single family homes in the city, I also used to sell homes for an investor/flipper (without an R.E License). We are not new to the game, but the undertaking we are considering is definitely out of or real of experience, maybe even our comfort zone. Regardless, we are looking to move on this and I am in the beginning stages of mapping this monster out. What are we getting ourselves into? I am already looking into property taxes, Property management and Cap rate comparisons. Any advice and direction would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the two properties we are looking at.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/7329-N-Honore-St-Chicago-IL/21891991/


https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/5317-N-Hoyne-Ave-Chicago-IL/21935181/


1Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
5y

My only advice for you is to consider dumping that money into a different location. Chicago is not Landlord friendly and I don't see it improving, ever.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Paul MoorePro Member
    Commercial Real Estate Fund Manager · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Jorge Leon.  Hi Jorge:  Just my 2 cents: I wrote a book called The Perfect Investment about multifamily. I promised my wife that I would stick with multifamily for the rest of my career.  Then it got largely overheated and I felt the need to back off on apartments (and I've been focusing on mobile home parks - "the other multifamily").   These deals have many strikes against them: 

    1. Very low cap rates (high prices) in general. 

    2. High competition (many competitors who may have more experience than you and me who have said No to these publicly marketed deals). 

    3. Location in one of the most anti-landlord-friendly locations in the US. 

    4. The potential for dropping rents and collections in light of COVID but more concerning, a potential population flight from Chicago. 

    I would be very careful, my friend!   Good luck to you. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.