New to Real Estate 路 Member since 2021 路 104 posts 路 30 votes
I am going on a short car trip to look at a number of properties, mostly multi-families. To my dismay, several of the properties are within a few doors of a registered sex offender. Some are pedophiles, others did violent crimes against adults, and others did milder crimes like public lewdness. Not too worried about the last one- that's just a nuisance, not dangerous. Other offenders were .2 miles away or .3 miles away. Some were further. Obviously a couple of neighborhoods I found with 5-7 sex offenders in one small area are off the list. There are towns or areas in the county that I am looking with very few or even no sex offenders but the fewer sex offenders there are, the higher the prices.
Real Estate Broker 路 Cody, WY 路 Member since 2010 路 28k+ posts 路 41k+ votes
5y
If you're finding that many offenders in such a small area, you're probably looking at low-class rentals and it's natural for sex offenders to live there because those Landlords don't screen well and because sex offenders tend to be less-than-productive members of society (generalization). If you're buying in that class, you have to expect that class of people.
I don't worry about it too much unless it's an apartment complex. Let's be honest: sex offenders are known to walk or drive to find victims so living ten blocks away from any registered offenders doesn't magically guarantee safety.
Also, you're seeing the REGISTERED sex offenders. You're not seeing the ones that failed to register or have never been caught that may be living in your B-class apartment complex.
Investor 路 Shelton, WA 路 Member since 2017 路 6k+ posts 路 6k+ votes
5y
@Julie Williams What a great post. I have not always judged a property by it's proximity to a sex offender; but that is a great criteria. Thank you! Definitely going on my list for future properties. I certainly check on them as applicants but I had neglected to consider them for the neighborhood too. Great point!
New to Real Estate 路 Vancouver, WA 路 Member since 2021 路 3 posts 路 3 votes
5y
What is your target audience to sell or rent to? That is the question you need to ask yourself. If your target tenant is just someone with a job that can pay, then who cares. But if your goal is to rent to a family, let me promise you, we check that stuff. Some people perceive blocks as an easier unit of measurement. It's a little easier to envision approximately what a block is versus a fraction of a mile. So there about 20 blocks in a mile. .2 miles is only 4 blocks. That's close enough to see them if it's a straight line. That is too close for a family in my opinion.
Real Estate Investor 路 Williamson County, TX 路 Member since 2011 路 1k+ posts 路 961 votes
5y
@Julie Williams I bought a property across the street from a sex offender. Then a sex offender moved in down the street from another rental in a much nicer neighborhood...I only found out because I print the list to argue for a lower tax assessment. It could happen anywhere as they often move in with mom. It has never been an issue for my tenants.
Real Estate Broker 路 Cody, WY 路 Member since 2010 路 28k+ posts 路 41k+ votes
5y
If you're finding that many offenders in such a small area, you're probably looking at low-class rentals and it's natural for sex offenders to live there because those Landlords don't screen well and because sex offenders tend to be less-than-productive members of society (generalization). If you're buying in that class, you have to expect that class of people.
I don't worry about it too much unless it's an apartment complex. Let's be honest: sex offenders are known to walk or drive to find victims so living ten blocks away from any registered offenders doesn't magically guarantee safety.
Also, you're seeing the REGISTERED sex offenders. You're not seeing the ones that failed to register or have never been caught that may be living in your B-class apartment complex.
New to Real Estate 路 Member since 2021 路 104 posts 路 30 votes
5y
@Nathan Gesner Good points. Two different towns- very different situations. One is a gritty small city with a bad downtown and nice, safer outskirts. The hospital is in the bad area and I was looking at buying property to rent furnished to interns and travel nurses. I crossed six properties off my list from the sex offender research. Worth paying more to buy in the safer parts of town. Most travel nurses will have cars. The second town is very hip, artsy, and up and coming. It has pretty bad issues with drugs and crime, mostly property crime, some muggings, but people are buying there anyways, because of the buzz, often without realizing there are problems. Both areas should improve dramatically over time, the first town more slowly.
New to Real Estate 路 Member since 2021 路 104 posts 路 30 votes
5y
PS @Nathan Gesner It's more about perception. I think a sex offender is less likely to reoffend in their own neighborhood where they are more likely to be recognized and caught, but people don't want to live near them and it could scare off good tenants and suppress resale value.
PS @Nathan Gesner It's more about perception. I think a sex offender is less likely to reoffend in their own neighborhood where they are more likely to be recognized and caught, but people don't want to live near them and it could scare off good tenants and suppress resale value.
Yes...and no. Sex crimes are often crimes of opportunity, which requires a level of familiarity with the area and the victim.
I don't know the right answer. I can think of pros and cons to both sides of the issue.
Maybe give a call to the police department and get their opinion. As they say, real estate is all about location, location, location.
My question is: Where are you looking for these properties. Sheesssh...
Sounds like pedoville county!
Have you ever looked up your area? You might be surprised at how many people are listed.
One issue with the number of listed offenders is that it appears that once on the list, forever on the list. I have people in my area that show they were convicted 20+ years ago for what I would consider minor crimes.
My question is: Where are you looking for these properties. Sheesssh...
Sounds like pedoville county!
Have you ever looked up your area? You might be surprised at how many people are listed.
One issue with the number of listed offenders is that it appears that once on the list, forever on the list. I have people in my area that show they were convicted 20+ years ago for what I would consider minor crimes.
Rental Property Investor 路 Sioux Falls, SD 路 Member since 2015 路 9k+ posts 路 18k+ votes
5y
@Julie Williams sex offenders are everywhere, but higher concentrations in worse neighborhoods. Very often these neighborhoods have high concentration of rentals, so they may move in and out. In other words, today there is a minor offender living across the street and next year, it could be a serious offender. Landlords who rent to these serious sex offenders are the same type that don't take care of their properties, so it is a sign of neighborhood quality.
I am not sure how you concluded that an offender is less likely to reoffend in their own neighborhood? The reason they require registration is because they are more likely to offend in their own neighborhood. Some people lack impulse control, so they see an opportunity and take it.
I like to buy houses close to elementary schools. One reason is restrictions on sex offenders living near schools. There is more police patrolling and the neighborhoods attract more families.
You can't avoid sex offenders, but try to avoid neighborhoods with high concentration, because it is a sign of owner neglect.
Rental Property Investor 路 Houston, TX 路 Member since 2017 路 13 posts 路 11 votes
5y
@Julie Williams I only rent to sex offenders here in Houston Texas. Their housing is crucial to their way back to a life. They're very long term and paying rent is a priority over all else.
New to Real Estate 路 Member since 2021 路 104 posts 路 30 votes
5y
@Larry Jonathan Denson My mother, who has gone on to her greater reward (at a very ripe old age) was from Mississippi. Her mother was a Texan. My mother would have said "You'll get your stars in heaven."
New to Real Estate 路 Member since 2021 路 104 posts 路 30 votes
5y
@Greg M. I think you were speaking to Ola, but I got curious and looked up my town in the sex offender registry. One. One in a town of twenty-six thousand.
New to Real Estate 路 Member since 2021 路 104 posts 路 30 votes
5y
@Ola Dantis I just looked up the crime rate in Houston. The crime index is 56 (per thousand). The two small cities I am considering buying in have crime indices of 38 and 66 respectfully. I am glad I posted because 66 is too high for my liking. I am spoiled. I live in a town with a crime index of 1.6. You could basically strip, roll around in glue, roll around in hundred dollar bills, and walk down the street at 2 a.m., and although an officer of the law might ask you what the heck you were doing and ask you to go home, you would otherwise be left alone.
Rental Property Investor 路 TN 路 Member since 2018 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
5y
I look at the sex offenders age, when the offence was, is it a repeat offense, and what is was.
Examples:
There is one registered less than a mile from where Iive now. He is a violent repeat offender. Bad, bad dude. However he is now in his late 70's and on oxygen, in a wheel chair, unable to leave his house without an aid. The only problem is that his 'aids' keep quitting because he likes to masturbate in front of him. He has the intent, just can not get out of the chair. Police say he is past his ability to harm anyone, except annoy the aids. He has had a male one for the past 2 years and it is going better.
Where I lived in CA there were 3 on my street. It was a VERY nice area. One was a lady who had a day care at her house. She was wicked mean. One toddler who wet himself and her couch was punished by putting a rubber band tightly over his manpart. It caused damage to him, was caught when mother picked him up from daycare. Her sentence was to loose her child care license, not be around kids other than her poor sorry kids, and to be registered. I did not consider her a problem. (BTW, information about her case was in the paper and well known in the community.)
The other two were bad people who were released from prison to their mommie's homes. One moved in a girlfriend to mommie's home with a preteen girl, who he raped and was recommitted in less than a year. He was scary and everyone knew he was going to do it again. He had two strikes already his last time was his third strike. Neighbors told the girl friend, and her kid. But the girl friend believed that he loved he so much he had no reason to take the kid. She would not listen to the idea that she was chosen so he could take the kid, as he had done twice before. I would not willingly buy a house by him. But no one could stop him from moving in with mommie.
The other had a probation officer who was the crazy liberal one. He had an ankle bracelet. He was to not leave the property. The police came to every house on the street and told every kid, male and female, that they should stay away from him, do not say hi, stay in groups, never go anywhere with him, etc. The came by every year with a new set of photos of him. Then the PO decided he needed a dog to love. So he got a put bull. Then he needed to walk it, only on our street, eyeing everybody all day long. He was scary. When I moved the police were investigating him for selling drugs, so hoping he went back to prison. His mom won't take him back again. I would not buy a house by him. His last offenses he killed the victims to reduce his likehood of being caught.
So when looking at registered sex offenders, look at how long ago the offence was, their current age, sometimes the police have information about their health, if they are repeat offenders, how long they have been out, the violence of their action, is it likely repeatable.
Investor 路 Fontana, CA 路 Member since 2020 路 128 posts 路 94 votes
5y
If somebody has a problem living in the same neighborhood they need to do their own research. But the reality is there are lots of people in low income areas with criminal histories. Some crimes are violent, some sexual, some financial. It's up to the tenant to find a neighborhood with the mix of amenities, rent levels, and miscreants they want. It's not my place to put my judgement concerning the neighborhood over theirs.
@Julie Williams I personally buy near schools to avoid them. This would be important to handle if your target market is for families. Even when I rented I checked public records before going into a lease so that I was aware of my neighborhood and surrounding areas.
Rental Property Investor 路 MS 路 Member since 2021 路 9 posts 路 4 votes
5y
The biggest issue is living in a nice area and then a pedophile moves in across the street. Same thing can happen no matter where your rentals are. Pedophiles come from all different financial and social classes.
The biggest issue is living in a nice area and then a pedophile moves in across the street. Same thing can happen no matter where your rentals are. Pedophiles come from all different financial and social classes.
That is what happened to me at my old house. They kept moving in with their mama when released from prison.