Is it allowed for an LLC I form to rent a unit to me?

Is it allowed for an LLC I form to rent a unit to me?

New to Real Estate · Member since 2021 · 104 posts · 30 votes

If I form an LLC to hold a multi-family (I have not bought it yet) can't the LLC rent a residential unit to me? The LLC has its own tax number and is a separate legal entity. Let's use a $1000 rent as an example. I pay the $1000 rent to the LLC. If the cost of all overhead is 50%, $500 goes to overhead, is deductible and is not taxed. The remaining $500 is pass through income and I get it back, less income tax, say 22%, and self employment tax, 15.3%. So I get the $500 back less 37.3%. 37.3% = 153.65. I get $336.35 back in income from my own rent. It's also creates a unit with a stable tenant who is definitely going to pay the rent! If I had a tenant in there I would still pay income tax and self employment tax on the income and have to pay full price for a place to live as well. Long term, with mortgage rates so low, I am better off buying a place to live, but in the near term, it would work well. (One commercial lender I talked to does not allow owner occupancy. I have to find a lender who would allow it.) I do want to put property in an LLC to protect my assets.

0Reply
23 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    One of the main benefits of having an LLC in real estate is that you can set it up so the income and expenses flows through to your return. The LLC shouldn't have to pay income tax or self-employment tax. (I'm sure the government would love it if you paid a lot more tax than you needed to, however.) Get some advice from a CPA before you do anything that causes you to pay more tax than you need to.

    Having your LLC own the property and paying rent to the LLC should be the equivalent of moving a dollar from one pocket to another. The money moved but you aren't any richer or poorer.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.