Landlords : How do you own your personal/primary residence?

Landlords : How do you own your personal/primary residence?

Wholesaler · Upstate SC · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote

This may be a stupid question, but I am curious to know. I have never seen nor heard where anybody talks about this. As a landlord, how do you own your personal/primary residence? Do you personally own it and pay the mortgage or does your business own it and you rent it from your business?

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

I would think most of us own our own homes under our name like anyone else.  I don’t think it would be tax efficient under a llc because we would have to pay taxes again on any payments to ourself and have to pay capital gains on all earnings on the sale.  Sure the depreciation is nice on the front end but don’t forget about the recapture on the back.  

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I would think most of us own our own homes under our name like anyone else.  I don’t think it would be tax efficient under a llc because we would have to pay taxes again on any payments to ourself and have to pay capital gains on all earnings on the sale.  Sure the depreciation is nice on the front end but don’t forget about the recapture on the back.  

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    5y

    Own In my own name, no mortgage as I don’t itemize personal expenses so the interest isn’t deductible. My first sale in 30 years of investing was my primary last year to a friends dad. Was a cash, tax free, no realtor deal that made sense. So I moved in to previous rental so I could capture the reduced taxes at sales time after 2-5 years of residency. 

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Edward Prochilo

    Its rarely advisable to own your primary residence with a legal entity.  Own it personally and qualify for the sec121 exclusion.  If I recall correctly, if you self-rent, that triggers a clause in the tax code where the rent becomes active income and the expense stays passive.  Since they are in different buckets they can't offset so its bad for your taxes, in short.

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    We moved into one of our rentals a few years ago. It was ours personally and not in an LLC; it was never all that great as a rental but perfect as our primary!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2020 · 758 posts · 285 votes
    5y

    I think majority of primary residences, default to buy the property in their own name. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    Own it in my own name. People put investments under an LLC to separate it from their personal property.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Troy · Member since 2017 · 175 posts · 271 votes
    5y

    I know I'm suppose to own it in my name.  But a few years ago I sold our primary residence and just conveniently moved into one of our rentals.  Everything works out.  Haven't had any problem.  I don't know what the big deal is.

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Edward Prochilo

    Interesting question.

    We own our property in a trust.  Our attorney told us it is a layer of insulation from liability suits.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.