Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 0 votes
I just got an inspection done on a house I’m planning to buy to rent it out. The main issue is that the interior AC unit is old...installed in 1996 while the condenser outside was installed in 2017. The cooling output doesn’t get too cold due to the evaporator coil doesn’t match with the condenser so it’ll have to run a lot more to get to the temp inside. I’m sure the inside unit will have to be replaced eventually and it’s gonna cost 4.5-6k to replace the inside. And I just found out this house was previously back out because seller wouldn’t replace the interior evaporator coil (which basically replacing the whole inside unit). With that being said, would you back out or try to negotiate down the sale price? How much would you negotiate? The roof of the house is 1.5yo so that’s something I wouldn’t have to worry about.
Rental Property Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 934 votes
5y
I would ask the seller to replace or repair the AC so it achieves the requires temperature differential. Don't get into telling the seller to replace parts. Just cite the high level problem. It looks like the seller already knows the root cause. I would prefer the seller fix or credit back paths. Get a few repair quotes if you are going the credit route so you know the real cost.
The seller should have disclosed this issue if it was found in a prior offer. You may have more success if the seller again hears the same thing from the buyer. The seller's agent may be able to convince the seller it is reasonable that any buyer would ask for this since they bid thinking the AC was fine.
Replacing the coil is also a good time to replace the furnace if it is older since you have the system opened up.