How to notify tenants that their lease will not be renewed

How to notify tenants that their lease will not be renewed

Rental Property Investor · Portland, ME · Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 0 votes

Hi Everyone,

I am a new landlord.  I was assured by the selling agent and owner when I brought the property that the tenants in the unit I wanted to occupy would move out and to a different unit.  However, they refuse to move (even with discounted rent offered).  Unfortunately they had just signed a lease with he previous owner so I have to wait a year to occupy the unit.  With that said, I am anticipating that they may refuse to move when their lease is up.  I know I have to notify them well in advance that I will not be renewing their lease.  Does anyone have an example of the proper legal notice I should serve them to notify them their lease will not be renewed?

Thanks!

0Reply
43 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    Non-renewal notice is not like eviction paperwork.  All you need is a short note saying their lease will not be renewed when it expires on X-date.  Typically you must give them at least 30 days notice.  (We give them this notice 90 days before)

    I recommend you check the language of the lease that you inherited.  It SHOULD specify additional rent for month-to-month or holdover.  If it does not, I would add to your non-renewal notice.  Indicate that if they choose to stay beyond the end of the lease, their rent will increase by $200 (or whatever).  

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, ME · Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Greg Scott thank you! Should I have them sign and date the short note for proof?

  • Rental Property Investor · North Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Jessica Pierce

    I doubt the tenants ever wanted to move since they just signed a new lease. What does their lease say about renewal and non-renewal time frames? I would make sure you send the notice certified mail to them.

  • Property Manager · Denver, CO · Member since 2021 · 667 posts · 587 votes
    5y

    @Jessica Pierce It's possible that your notice of non-renewal could depend on what state you are in. We are required to send one type of non-renewal for a standard lease term and a different one for month to month leases. If you DM me I can point you toward a good one to use if you would like. 

  • Member since 2020 · 984 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    We send a Notice To Terminate Tenancy when we want a tenant out when their lease expires.

    I don't know about other states, but in California we have to give tenants a 60-day notice to terminate a month-to-month when the tenant has resided in the unit more than 1 year. I think 30 days is far too short a notice even when the tenants lived in a unit for only a few months and 60 days should always be given to a tenant with the exception of a serious problem tenant.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, ME · Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Thank you everyone. I will plan on sending a notice certified mail well in advance, probably around 90days. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.