Renter Seeking Landlords' Opinion / Side of Conversation

Renter Seeking Landlords' Opinion / Side of Conversation

Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I've been leasing a detached house since Feb of 2019; roughly 30 months, with a yearly lease (which goes up every year)
I don't want to get into a ton of back history between the landlord and I because of any pre-conceived notions some might have, but I will say that I have never been late and have always made my monthly rent by the 1st (occasionally earlier). 

I do any 'small repairs' myself and do not even ask for compensation at this point because I know he will always come back with.. 'that's your responsibility'.  We live in a 'somewhat rural' area of Texas and he basically assumes, I'm a man.. I should just fix it and be done with it.. why am I bothering him about this or that.

The question I have is regarding a magnolia tree that is in the front yard.  It is approximately 50 ft tall and the lower branches are now hanging close to / touching the metal roof of the house.  He is demanding that I have somebody come out and trim the tree (quotes are between 450 - 800 dollars) and I believe that should be his responsibility.  The lease simply says the yard is to be maintained.  When I texted him about it and told him I don't believe that should fall under the typical "maintenance of the yard" he said "I wouldn't have u do it but I don't live there if it's causing damage or future problems u need to take care of it".

Should the trimming of an adult magnolia tree be considered my responsibility or his?

0Reply
18 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    This is not a question we can answer based on the vague language of the lease you quoted.  It's up for interpretation, and the only way you can get a clear cut answer if you and the owner are at an impasse would be to get a Judge to decide. In my situation we consider trimming of bushes, weed eating, weeding, mowing, etc to be routine maintenance, but not trimming of trees.  

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Patti Robertson:

    Thanks for the response.  The lease simply says "... agrees to maintain the property.  This includes... lawn, landscaping..."  Albeit a fine line, perhaps; there is a difference between a landscaper (landscaping) and an arborist (tree trimming).

    He gaslights me to the point to where I question my reasoning, which is why I am reaching out to folks like you to try and figure out what is reality and what is 'his' reality.

    I truly appreciate the feedback, Ms. Robertson.

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    My thought is that he should trim his own trees if he wants them trimmed.

    Maybe that is a negotiating idea for the next renewal....keep my rent the same and I'll trim the tree/trees.

    I'm not sure if that is you or not, but the problem is if he really expects you to do it, most tenants would do the very very basic trimming, maybe just enough so they don't damage the roof.  Where I as the owner, might want them done the right way.  You might spend $50-$100 when they really need $1000 job.   I'd remind him that you want to help him protect his asset.

    Not sure what other maintenance items you are taking care of, but never understood why people think they should be getting compensated for things like this unless it is agreed on up front with the owner.   Like maybe the house really needs paint, you can do it and you both agree to take a $500 rent reduction if owner will buy the paint and there is a completion date.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.