Section 8 sadness....this is unreal

Most Popular Reply

Deborah BurianPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
13y

You know what? Section 8 had nothing to do with this. This is how some tenants work. You have to screen then verify... and, I got tickled because on Monday, after a trash-out, I came home and scrubbed the bottom of my shoes. Yes, the house was that dirty and cockroach infested. Yes, it was on me, I let it happen.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    13y

    Everyone Is mentioning being kicked off the program but where I am it hardly ever happens.

    So I wouldn't count on that as a saving grace as a landlord.

    With this property they should have short sold long ago. It was a home they lived in according to the video and they left for safety reasons as the area turned really bad.

    Common sense says if they wanted to leave for safety reasons then a quality tenant will not want to live in that area either. What you are left with is animals living in a hostile environment among others that are the same. Do you have some remaining people trying to save the neighborhood that might be quality?? Sure but don't think you are going to leave an area with flying bullets and murders and land a quality tenant and all your problems will be solved until the market turns around. That is pie in the sky thinking and will never happen.

    The family that owns the house still might want to short sale. My experience with section 8 as a landlord has been they are extremely lazy and will work the system rather than improve themselves.

    Regular tenants who hold a job seem to have more pride and value things more. The section 8 tend to have a more (parent,child) relationship with their case workers where they yell, scream, and complain to get what they want but never learn life lessons to start fending for themselves.

    Physically the tenants might be a certain age but mentality their growth arrested a long time ago.

    I am not saying all section 8 Is bad. I tried it and it's not my cup of tea.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.