Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Nick Mace
Votes |
What's a Fair Notice for Evicting Tenants After Purchase?

Nick Mace
Posted Jul 26 2021, 05:35

Hello:

I've just closed on my first IP (4-unit) in New Hampshire.  I need to do some renovations/updating that requires vacating all the units, and I'm wondering what a fair amount of notice would be to prevent the current tenants from doing damage/delaying things further.  They are M2M, so I need to give them 30 days per law, but they are currently paying 60% of market value.  So, I'm essentially hitting them with a pretty big (although shouldn't be a shock) blow to their budget.  In a perfect world, the sooner they're out, the better.  And I have no reason/insight (other than the fact they're currently grossly underpaying) to believe they wouldn't respect a 30 day notice.  But, in a practical world, I don't know them from a hole in the wall or what they're capable of, and would like to avoid any potential retaliatory damage, or even forcing a legal eviction onto their records due to true market sticker-shock/lack of savings.  My thought is to give them a 60 day notice, (I'm not even sure I can get a contractor in there much before that).  But, I'm curious about other's experiences with these situations.  Should I take the cold-hearted (but better for me) "hit the bricks" approach, or give some extra time, to hedge a risk that may or may-not be real?

Loading replies...