Ok, so I'm a renter, looking to have carpet replaced...

Ok, so I'm a renter, looking to have carpet replaced...

Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes

Ok, so I am a renter, and we are about to sign our 2nd yr lease. The thing is, when we checked the place out the carpet looked fine, it smelled of dog but they had just carpet cleaned. So the carpet looked fine. After it dried the stench was worse and the stains ,and rips, and tears are fully visible. There are also carpet tacks sticking out upon entering the kitchen tile flooring. I have a little rug over it to prevent stepping on them now, the thing is , I have a two yr old, and another baby on the way. We haven't asked for many repairs,though it needs alot we did not notice at showing. Baseboards are missing, the fridge doors on the bottom are both broken, and the fridge and the stove were both very dirty, along with the bathroom. I've cleaned all that up, without complaining, we've replaced the shower head once because it broke, it was worn out green and just snapped. There are two different tiles, in the bathtub, looks like someone cut out old moldy tiles and replaced with different tiles and grouted over them, the mold is coming back through. The garage door isn't connected any longer but that was never an issue, the literal only issue we are having is how to go about changing the carpet. Or seeing if we could have it changed. I'm worried about the new baby crawling around, and my two yr old possibly stepping on the tacks, I mean is this an unreasonable request? He would have to replace it anyhow right? 

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Theresa HarrisPro Member
Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
5y

Don't sign the lease renewal.  From the long list, you are clearly not happy with the place and with another kid on the way, you probably need more space.  Much of that will have been the same as when you moved in (different tiles, garage door not connected, etc).  In the meantime, get a hammer and tap down the nails that are sticking up from the tack strip.  You can get an area rug and put that down over the carpet.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y

    Don't sign the lease renewal.  From the long list, you are clearly not happy with the place and with another kid on the way, you probably need more space.  Much of that will have been the same as when you moved in (different tiles, garage door not connected, etc).  In the meantime, get a hammer and tap down the nails that are sticking up from the tack strip.  You can get an area rug and put that down over the carpet.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    @Jessica Silvers  I agree with @Theresa Harris you should probably move to a different unit if it is that much of an issue. 

    However you asked about getting carpet replaced so yes you can approach your landlord for this. Know ahead of time you move all the furniture so they can replace it, both from the removing and putting back standpoint and you don't get to pick the flooring. The best way they might agree is if you offer to pay higher rent (specify an amount). It would be more likely to be successful if you are an ontime tenant, who keeps the place nice. They may or may not do it.  Tenant in place changes are hardest.  It is more of a would you consider question?  For some tenants I have made in place upgrades because I know they will put up with the inconvenience because they want it and I wanted it done anyway but be prepared for a no. 

    In addition I want to comment on your other issues,  if it was there on move in should go on the move in checklist. A broken shower is the landlords responsibility to replace call them. Tiles mildew for alot of reasons when water collects. if it is significant call them.

  • Rental Property Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 953 posts · 910 votes
    5y

    @Jessica Silvers Sounds like you should move but obviously there are other factors involved. At minimum I would be looking to see what's out there and what it would cost to move. Depending on your landlord, negotiating leases may be a non starter for them. If you do try to negotiate, be prepared for them to say no. And if you say you will move out, make sure its not a bluff. Read up on some negotiating tactics figure out what your strengths are. You may feel like you have no power in the situation but you do. It's expensive for a landlord to turnover, they may be liable for some of those health hazards you listed. Don't threaten them unless they start to get unreasonable and threaten you.

  • Nevada City, CA · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    That is a common request.  Your landlord should accommodate you.Ask for new padding also. Your rent will go up, your landlord needs to average the cost over 2 years.

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    If you are asking about the carpet, your should also mention the mold in the bathroom.  It probably is more of a concern for health issues.  

    If they change the carpet, be prepared to move your furniture so they have an empty room for a day or two.   Ask for a new pad too as the other one will still smell like a dog.  And expect that your rent will go up 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of the carpet and padding.

  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    There is a correct way to do this if you have a professional landlord. There is also a "realistic" way given what you've told us. 

    The correct way would be asking for the carpet to be replaced and offering to put up some portion of the costs or agree to a longer lease of some sort. 

    After reading your story, it doesn't sound like a landlord who would be willing to fix anything. In your specific case I would leave, but I understand times are tough and you may not feel comfortable doing that. If I couldn't leave, I would offer replace carpet myself then find the cheapest carpet store I could find and get a friend to help me install it, using youtube as my guide. It can't look worse with new carpet. 

    That all being said, I think there are other major issues at play here. A call to your health department (your town may have a different department handle this) may force your landlord to fix some things.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.