Virtual Assistant · North Charleston, SC · Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes
I am a current leasing agent for a property management company in South Carolina. I love the company I work for and I want to continue to grow with them. However I was looking into starting my own company and becoming a leasing agent for my brother . Is this legal ? Can I open a leasing consulting business without my RE license? I’m working on getting my license. Thanks for reading . Please help lol
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
5y
It's different in each state, but in most, real estate related payments can only be made to a real estate broker and you must be a licensed agent to show properties you or your employer do not have an ownership interest in.
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
5y
It's different in each state, but in most, real estate related payments can only be made to a real estate broker and you must be a licensed agent to show properties you or your employer do not have an ownership interest in.
Real Estate Broker · Charleston, SC · Member since 2013 · 794 posts · 454 votes
5y
@Destiny Young You'll have to have either a PM or sales license to lease on behalf of someone else. The exception is that you can lease or sell your own properties without a license. However, when you represent another individual or company, you're expected to be licensed. Even if you get licensed, you'll still have to lease through a company as an agent/representative of the company under a PMIC or BIC. I can't recall what the PM requirements are, but after a certain amount of time being licensed, you can become a PMIC (PM in charge) and open your own management company.
Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
Yes, NC does require those representing others for buying/selling/leasing property to have a license. The reason you don't need one with your current company is because they have one. You can be a leasing consultant for them because someone (presumably!) has a brokers license in NC. You want to start your own company and that means you need to be your own broker or find a broker that will allow you to start your own company under their license.
As others have said, get your license and experience and then become a broker.