Is this a deal or no deal?

Is this a deal or no deal?

Rental Property Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 8 votes

Hello good people!

First let me say I don't have much experience in real estate but I'm open to learn and grow, and I know this is one of the most used paths for financial freedom. Anyway here's the deal it's a 3br 3bath townhome in NC asking $95,000 made an offer for $88,000 and it was accepted, they want a $5000 deposit and no inspection. My realtor went out and got video of the property and from the looks of it it's in pretty good shape there are minor issues like paint, a small dip in the floor, cracked window, oh out front there's roots growing up around the driveway (which I know could cost a pretty penny to fix driveways) but I'm not sure if there's any foundation, electrical, or plumbing issues. Being that this would be one of my first deals would you recommend taking on this deal? Also it would be a buy and hold and I could get from $1000-$1200 rent in that area.

Thanks in advance for any input!

2Reply
85 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe VilleneuvePro Member
Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
5y

Rent doesn't matter if the monthly expenses are greater.

I would be very leary about doing your first deal without a formal inspection of some kind.

See this reply in the discussion

68 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    "they want a $5000 deposit and no inspection"

    No Inspection is always bad, "Inspect what you Expect".

    Also, what is the value of other homes in the neighborhood at their very best condition. Your offer price may still be too high. Collecting $1200 a month on a townhome with 3beds and baths makes me wonder about the condition of the neighborhood is. There may be better deals out there with less red flags. I understand the market is high but you still don't want to overpay. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Darnell Coleman Yes $5000 & no inspection it's a small town in NC. The highest comp was around $110,000. I do agree there's probably better deals

  • Rental Property Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Jeff Fountain good info thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Bruce Woodruff haha I think I'll be that way too being that I just went to visit a home in VA that was "renovated" I want to offer about $30,000 less than asking.

  • Rental Property Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Nicholas Glatter Thanks yeah they were being really pushy and wanted me to wire the $5000 same day and getting all you guys input I cancelled it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Jeremy Komer thanks inspection it is bc I don’t have a lot of construction experience

  • Rental Property Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Gp G.Thanks I have one that is good which is why I may need another one bc he's always booked.

  • Rental Property Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Justin Gottuso WOW you got a really nice first deal! Send some of your good luck potion my way ;) I wish it would be worth $160k all fixed up but no maybe $110k. Thanks for your advice

  • Rental Property Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @ Cathy M Thanks! That's crazy I have to inspect the inspectors sued 5 times whoa! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Steven Goldman Thanks and there wasn't a HOA fee which was nice.

  • Rental Property Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Sondra Lovett  Thanks. I'm learning the videos and photos don't tell the whole story

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 184 posts · 162 votes
    5y

    @Jaquette Green

    I pray that you will have great wisdom and discernment and that you’d have eyes to see diamonds in the rough :-)

    Keep in touch!

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 1 vote
    5y

    Hi @Jaquette Green! Congratulations on considering your first deal, that’s super exciting. I wish you the best in your RE career.

    Regarding this property - what are similar properties selling for and what have the sold for historically? (Comparable home sales)

  • Rental Property Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Anthony Cerrud thank you!

    They’re selling for around 95,000 and sold for around 65,000 in the past but they could sell for more filled renovated around $110,000

  • Insurance Agent · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 41 votes
    5y

    @Jaquette Green Hi Jaquette! I’m in a similar position as you; I don’t have my first property yet, but I have made an offer but it was declined.

    That being said, I ALMOST made a townhome offer last month up in Hickory and fortunately I asked my agent about their HOA bylaws regarding renters. Come to find out, they were no longer allowing rentals in that community and that info was not disclosed; so I would have been stuck with a property that I couldn't rent as my first investment.

    I’m not an expert but wanted to share my dodged bullet on this townhome in case you hadn’t considered that possible hurdle.

    Jordan

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    I didn't inspect my first deal. For the looks if the property I assumed it was a total gut rehab, and it was. Bought cheap $30K sold for $135k. I was aware and had the budget for all major components, if you are ok with that then go ahead without an inspection, the thing that would stop me the most is the ARV, that's the biggest issue for me. Rents are not a a problem, but if I'm not able to get my money back in form of equity, is no deal for me!

  • Rental Property Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Jordan Thompson OMG thank you I didn't know that was even something an HOA could do. I now know I need to do my due diligence before I put in an offer.

    Good Luck to you! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Angie Ruiz Thank you. I'm looking for deals like your first one. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.