Sneaking in an extra pet

Sneaking in an extra pet

Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes

I have brand new tenants who apparently snuck in an extra cat. I was clear when we met that we have a 2 pet maximum. It's also stated more than once in the lease, and they have a pet addendum. My maintenance guy told me he saw 2 cats and a dog.

My fault: I didn't add a fine or fee for violating this specific rule. I guess it just falls under violating the lease... which means termination of lease. That seems excessive for a cat... but they did break the rules. Like, right away.

What are my options? I know I should follow the lease but can I do something else? I was thinking about telling them they either get rid of a pet or pay $50/mo for it. Our current pet rent is $50/mo for dogs and $25/mo for cats.

3Reply
141 views

Most Popular Reply

Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
5y

If it were mine, I'd just "Don't Know" the cat(s) are there.

Maybe they pay the extra $50 for a time (if they can afford it) then move out--to somewhere with a less punitive owner.

That way the rent checks just keep coming in and paying down the mortgage.

 And the likelihood of a turn is less.

Turns are costly, and best avoided.

Now I said cats, because:

[1] Two cats are not two puppies or two Pit Bulls.

[2] It will magically become the neighbors cat they just let in to play with their cat (and it may be).

I would not even bring it up, and just keep collecting the rent checks and paying down the mortgage.

Good Luck!

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes
    5y

    I love all your answers! So much to think about. I am going to address it, but I'm not sure how yet. I am not going to evict... we just had to go through a nasty eviction/ bankruptcy with terrible tenants our last Property Manager put in. SO MUCH STRESS. And so many lawyer bills.

    Thank you all for your opinions and expertise!

  • Rental Property Investor · Beaumont, CA · Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Amanda Thompson

    Let me tell you from my own experience, I myself had to rent a house, because divorce.

    I work with show dogs so I told the people I had 3 dogs and they were ok with it.

    Sometimes I had 5 or 6 there. But of course they were kept in their crate or outside, never loose in the house and everything was clean. I returned the house I think cleaner than was given to me.

    So not everyone will destroy your property just by having an extra pet, especially a cat.

    So check with them, talk about it and maybe give them a break, maybe they need it.

  • Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes
    5y

    UPDATE: I emailed (paper trail!) and told them maintenance had seen 3 animals, only 2 are allowed, "can you help me understand the situation?"

    She wrote back that they are temporarily pet sitting for his daughter (raise your hand if you've heard that one!). I replied with:

    "Oh great, that is an easy fix! Only pets listed on the pet addendum are allowed on the property. Please have his daughter make other arrangements for her kitty to avoid the lease violation.

    Thanks for explaining the situation!"

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.