What do you include in your rental contracts, Portland Oregon ?

What do you include in your rental contracts, Portland Oregon ?

New to Real Estate · Portland, OR · Member since 2020 · 49 posts · 27 votes

Hey BP Family.

I am starting to prepare my documents that I need in order to rent out my unit.

The home is in Multnomah County, (Portland, OR) and I know being in that county, it isn't landlord friendly and you want to make sure you have all your bases covered. I was wondering what are some things that you guys include in your leases and learned to have included in all your leases?

Any feedback would be appreciated!





0Reply
23 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Portland, OR · Member since 2020 · 50 posts · 39 votes
    5y

    Hey Alex,

    Congrats on having your property ready to go! I own Chroma Property Management based in Portland. I would recommend not creating your own lease. You're going to want to use forms from the Rental Housing Alliance or Multifamily NW. We - and most property managers / large landlords in the area - use Multifamily NW forms, but I've worked with both extensively. 

    These are required:

    Rental Agreement
    Smoke Alarm / Carbon Monoxide Alarm
    Mold & Mildew Addendum
    Safety Addendum
    Security Deposit Addendum + Notice of Security Deposit Rights
    Move-in Accounting (Portland)
    Condition at Move-in (Portland)

    If the property was built prior to 1978 you'll also need lead-based paint disclosures. There are additional forms that should suit whatever specific issues arise.

    Make sure you're familiar with the Portland FAIR Ordinance security deposit requirements. That relates to the both the security deposit addendum and condition at move-in addendum.

    Best of luck!

    Kurt Lane | Chroma Property Management

  • New to Real Estate · Portland, OR · Member since 2020 · 49 posts · 27 votes
    5y

    @Kurt Lane thanks for the info !

    Just out of curiosity, I did download the forms that BP offers for each state when it comes to rentals. 
    Have you ever used those or know anyone to use them?

    Also in order to get a copy of those forms, from either company is there a one time fee ? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.