Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Beg
  • Woodbridge, VA
Votes |
Did I dodge a bullet or was I too suspicious?

Jacob Beg
  • Woodbridge, VA
Posted Sep 16 2021, 11:38

I had a rental application from someone with poor credit. She furnished paystubs showing a very handsome salary and was more than qualified, willing to make two months security deposit and start the lease immediately meaning immediate cash-flow. 

She produced a guarantor who had a marginal, but steady job and a poor credit as well. 

She went to the property a few times, wanted landlord to fix numerous items which are expected of any genuine tenant as most people like to have a decent place and want things fixed if they are paying a handsome rent in excess of $2k.

I wanted to rent it quickly so keen to work with her but something did not sit well with me. I realized she was using some sort of app for phone number (not a proper mobile number). I am not that tech savvy but figured she might have good reasons. 

He previous landlord was deceased, she said it was her aunt anyway so no real way to check reference and she was staying with mom. She slipped up that mom had a decent gov't job, but would not produce her as a guarantor. 

Lease was ready, keys almost ready to be handed in as I got seduced by the funds. I had a gut feeling something was off. I questioned that I cannot find her employer other than a website. The person verifying the income seemed like someone who may know the lady. Income verified was different to what was on the pay stub. 

When questioned when she got paid last and whether she can produced a pay check. She stuttered last pay check was in Aug yet claims that she gets paid biweekly. When asked whether she produced a bank account to show track record of her income being deposited, she claimed she cashes her checks so no deposits to show. 

At this point, I had a gut feeling that the employer is either a fake or something else is off. There is also an issue of someone making close to 80K but the employer is based out of a very small office in not so good area of town. 

I asked for W-2 so may be there will be federal tax ID to show that employer is genuine. I don't think she will be able to furnish it. 

So did I miss a bullet or was it someone who could probably afford the place (hence the large deposit and prorated rent of 5K) but went the wrong way about it. Or did my suspicion got the best of me? 

Loading replies...