Asheville Area Meetup

Asheville Area Meetup

When:

Where:Zilicoah Brewing, 870 Riverside Drive Asheville, North Carolina 28804

Cost:Free

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. Poster certifies that there will be no pitching of products or services at this event.

Derek RobinsonPro Member
Real Estate Coach · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 176 posts · 172 votes

@Jordan Lockaby and I are taking a step forward towards creating a Bigger Pockets Meetup here in Asheville, and would love for you to be a part. While there are other investor groups in our area, we think the BP crowd attracts its own flavor of folks, and we want to provide a space for us.

5Reply
159 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 463 posts · 507 votes
3y

@Brett Weyhrich. We meet the 3rd Wednesday of the month at Hi-Wire at 6PM and the 4th Wednesday of the month at Citizen Vinyl at 9AM. Citizen Vinyl didn't open yesterday though, and has had some other issues lately, so unsure what's going on there. If you DM me your email address I'll get you added to the calendar invitations. 

Yes, you can can rent out an entire home for 30+ nights inside Asheville city limits, with no permit or regulation headaches. The term doesn't need to be annual. Beware thought that our market is flooded with MTR's right now, especially struggling STR's that are trying MTR.

Also, for homes that are in Asheville but not inside city limits, which seems to be about 1/4 of Asheville, you can rent them out short-term as well. In case you're interested, this GIS map shows you which areas are/aren't in city limits, and this tool lets you lookup a specific address to see if it's inside city limits. 

See this reply in the discussion

45 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Rutherfordton NC · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    Hi everyone,

    Moved to the Tryon area a year ago and would like to get to a meeting. Could you add me to the email list as well?


    Thanks!

  • Derek RobinsonPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Coach · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 176 posts · 172 votes
    3y

    Hey @Brandon Obrien, what's your email?  I'll also add you to our Slack Channel, a great way to connect to people outside of the monthly meetups

  • Investor · Rutherfordton NC · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    3y
  • Rental Property Investor · Asheville NC · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mitch Davidson:

    @Brett Weyhrich. We meet the 3rd Wednesday of the month at Hi-Wire at 6PM and the 4th Wednesday of the month at Citizen Vinyl at 9AM. Citizen Vinyl didn't open yesterday though, and has had some other issues lately, so unsure what's going on there. If you DM me your email address I'll get you added to the calendar invitations. 

    Yes, you can can rent out an entire home for 30+ nights inside Asheville city limits, with no permit or regulation headaches. The term doesn't need to be annual. Beware thought that our market is flooded with MTR's right now, especially struggling STR's that are trying MTR.

    Also, for homes that are in Asheville but not inside city limits, which seems to be about 1/4 of Asheville, you can rent them out short-term as well. In case you're interested, this GIS map shows you which areas are/aren't in city limits, and this tool lets you lookup a specific address to see if it's inside city limits. 


     Could I also be added to the calendar invite list?  I'd love to join.  JenMalt16 @ Gmail.com  Ty!

  • Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 463 posts · 507 votes
    3y

    @Jennifer Malt. Sure thing! Will add you. Looking forward to meeting you on the 3rd Wednesday of the month at Hi-Wire on Lyman at 6PM or TBD location on the 4th Wednesday at 9AM. 

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y

    Hi there! Just moved to Polk County and would like to connect with like minded people in the area. My email is [email protected] 

  • Nick MehlPro Member
    Architect · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 9 votes
    2y

    Hello,

    Is anyone in this group a builder or can anyone recommend a builder for me? I'm an architect who wants to build a STR just outside the city limits and so I'm looking for a builder who has built some STRs or who understands the unique needs of one.

    I'd be looking for a construction loan lender as well.

    The help is much appreciated!

  • Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 463 posts · 507 votes
    2y

    @Nick Mehl: I would look further out. Buncombe County (Asheville sits in the middle of) just revealed that they're planning to soon disallow STR throughout the County, except for STR's that are grandfathered in by a special one-time permit. And I'll send you info for a builder I know.

  • Nick MehlPro Member
    Architect · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 9 votes
    2y

    Whoa,@Mitch Davidson, that's good intel! I hadn't heard that. One of the areas I'm considering is Maggie Valley so any opinion on building there would be welcome.

    Thank you, Nick

  • Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 463 posts · 507 votes
    2y

    @Nick Mehl. Personally, I wouldn't worry about Maggie Valley adopting STR restrictions. It's a vacation town with barely any other revenue source.

  • Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 463 posts · 507 votes
    2y

    For anyone following the key word Asheville, we'd love to see you at our meetup this week (Wednesday 1/17, 6PM, Hi-Wire Brewing on Lyman in River Arts) or next week (Wednesday 1/24, 9AM, Upstairs at The Rhu). Our meetups are intentionally casual, and are focused on networking, learning, and comradery. No member fee, no presentation followed by sales pitch, etc. 

  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    I would love to join in on the monthly meetings! My email is [email protected].

    Thanks!

  • Real Estate Agent · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 67 posts · 39 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Austin Hughes:

    I would love to join in on the monthly meetings! My email is [email protected].

    Thanks!

    Just added you :) thanks!
  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y

    I'd love to connect in the monthly meeting. Could you please add me? 

  • Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 463 posts · 507 votes
    2y

    Hi @Taylor Witty. I can add you to the calendar invitation. Can you message me your email address?

  • Handyman · Asheville, NC · Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y

    Good morning, y'all!

    Can you please add me to the invite? I would love to attend. @Mitch Davidson, I'll message you directly with my email address.

    Thanks!

  • Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 463 posts · 507 votes
    2y

    Sure thing, @Jeremy Shaffer. Just added you to the events email list for our BP Asheville meetup. Look forward to meeting you soon.

  • Nick MehlPro Member
    Architect · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 9 votes
    10mo

    Does anyone know when the BP meetup will be in December and where? One of these days I'd like to go but it never works out with my schedule. Thanks!

  • Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 463 posts · 507 votes
    9mo

    Hey @Nick Mehl. Likely the 16th or 17th. And we'll meet at 230 Hilliard Ave, Suite 1, Asheville, NC 28801. Still working on firming up plans. If you're not on our email list, please direct message me your address and I'll add you to the list. You can also find our group on meetup, by adding /bpasheville/ after the web address.

  • Nick MehlPro Member
    Architect · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 9 votes
    9mo

    Thank you, @Mitch Davidson. I am on the list and I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something. I look forward to meeting everyone!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.