ADU (Granny Flats) in Los Angeles - Hausable

ADU (Granny Flats) in Los Angeles - Hausable

Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 2 votes

Hello,

First post - sorry it took me so long! I'm looking to build an ADU to take advantage of our larger than average plot of land for the area (Torrance). It's been my plan for a while but my wife is now coming around to the idea....

As I've done my research I can see that we should be eligible to build a detached unit which puts us at the 1200 sq ft limit in either single or double story (ours would need to be double as I want to get 2 beds and 1.5 bath min).

During my research I came across this resource Hasauble https://www.hausable.com and I wanted to see if anyone here had used them & if so to what stage in the process?

Is there a better way such as through an architect or engineering office (if so any recommendations)?

Or perhaps I should just start bugging the planning office to see what I can find out direct in the first instance...

Part of our property is sloped & as such I think we'll need some engineering time in order to get the build right (and also I want to add some decking out over the slope for the main house).

The numbers all look good, we should be able to finance it easily enough with a Heloc or similar so now just pondering the best way to jump in!

Thanks for any help,

Dan

0Reply
90 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 6 votes
7y

Hi Dan, This is Joanna with Hausable. Thanks for your post, I just saw it from a few months back. 
We're based in San Francisco and provide zoning feasibility analysis and custom ADU permit plans for most cities in California. You can check your property on our site and get a quote for services using this link: https://www.hausable.com/adu-s... you plan to locate the unit in a sloped area, you may need a geotechnical engineer to verify the conditions. If the property is in a hillside zone, there will be additional restrictions on the project. Talking to your planning office is always a good first step, but if you get confusing answers or need some help getting specific information, it's likely that our services can assist. 

It's great to see everyone looking in to building an ADU these days. Thanks for all the helpful comments. Have a nice weekend!

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 313 posts · 230 votes
    7y

    Check out https://maxablespace.com/. It is a good resource too.

  • Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Thanks for the link, plenty to look at there!

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Daniel Graves have you tried both Hausable or Maxable Space yet? I'm interested in buying a property and adding an ADU. Any experience with either?

  • Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    I haven't spoken to either of them yet, I also had the offer of a chat with an architect who is on here.

    Now summer is over I expect to be following up on our project in the near future...

    If you speak to either first I'd be interested to hear of your experience. Maxable has a free 20 min consult, I don't think Hausable has (or at least they didn't but maybe they do now...)

  • Scott MartinPro Member
    Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    Daniel and Lester,

    Would love to hear more when you get to pricing. I am an architect in San Luis Obispo area, and many of my clients have been trying to do pre-fab of some sort, but everything I have looked at still comes in more price per sq ft than traditional building. I have collected a bunch of ADU plans over the years, and built my own mother in law unit. If you decide to go with traditional building I would be happy to offer some ideas.

  • Developer · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2009 · 37 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    Hausable looks like the Spokeo of ADUs. I was surprised at how much info Hausable shared but I'd have doubts about its accuracy. Best to go to the website of your local Building/Planning Depts. Or go to the Planning desk. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Glendale, CA · Member since 2013 · 685 posts · 334 votes
    7y

    I am unaware of either website, but I would assume that there will naturally be an up-charge for the services they provide. In that same vein, the city is slightly difficult to navigate in LA, as it may take some leg work to get things sorted out. If your willing to put in the time and effort, it may be worth it. Otherwise, your best bet is seeking a third party company to get you from start to finish. 

  • Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Anyone have any experience with these guys?

    https://www.protohomes.com/

  • Architect · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 160 posts · 81 votes
    7y

    @Daniel Graves Architects, especially in cities with housing shortages have gotten pretty knowledgeable about ADU's and DADU's. A lot of firms are able to provide quick low cost consultations to help people understand what they could do with their sites (this is similar to a feasibility study for a commercial project).

    Having pre-approved plans in your jurisdiction should help the permitting process along, that said buildings are pretty site dependent and if there's any slope restrictions in your area it will make your life quite a bit easier if you are working with someone who has been through that process.

  • Andy BrohardPro Member
    Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 78 posts · 82 votes
    7y

    Hey @Daniel Graves

    I built my ADU awhile back and love it! Not sure how Torrance compares to LA City but happy to chat about it sometime. Just curious as to why you'd want to do 2/1.5? Are you planning on using it yourself or renting it out? Is the rent worth the extra building expense?

  • Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    It's a long haul plan... gives me the option to move in when my kids fly the coop but also yes I think the rent justifies the extra expense depending on what that comes out to. :)

    Be nice to get someone else's direct experience - did you build fresh or convert something like a garage?

  • Rental Property Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 263 posts · 132 votes
    7y

    @Daniel Graves

    I'm in Torrance and am in what I hope will be the final stages of a hobby room to ADU conversion. Obviously it's not a ground up build like you're looking at, but I've definitely learned a lot through this process. I ended up getting my own architect and then being an owner builder for the construction.

    If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

  • Andy BrohardPro Member
    Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 78 posts · 82 votes
    7y

    @Daniel Graves gotcha. It was a garage conversion but added about 170 sqft. Once permits were in hand it went relatively smoothly. Gas company was the biggest pain so I'd start on the utilities as early as you can. (Especially if you're going to split them) Happy to chat sometime. Feel free to shoot me a DM anytime. 

  • Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Thanks for all the responses. I’ve heard that about the Gas being a pain.... I’m wondering if I should plan for Electric only with solar, may be one solution. The gas main is at the other end of the lot. 

    I also have questions about sewer and water. They are both also at the other end of the lot and the ADU would be downhill of it by a foot or so. The sewer would have to have its own connection to the street.

  • Andy BrohardPro Member
    Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 78 posts · 82 votes
    7y

    @Daniel Graves sewer might be extra if it's on the down slope. i think they have to install a pump system in that case. I was able to tie my sewer into the mainline from my house. Not sure if that's an option for you. 

    Running the gas line wasn't a huge deal for us, it was a decent amount of trenching but finding out if your main gas line is big enough to run both houses could be problematic. (if it's not they have to run a larger pipe from the street and that gets pricey) Luckily ours was fine because we have the ductless AC units. 

  • Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Ha yes I thought as much... My house was built in the 50's so I can probably guarantee it's going to be the small one although the meter unit looks as modern as the ones anyone else has...

    We could tie into my neighbours sewer system (I'm joking but actually there must be sewer close to where it is as it would be between two houses not behind). It's a horizontal plot, much wider than it is deep.

  • Specialist · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Hi Dan, This is Joanna with Hausable. Thanks for your post, I just saw it from a few months back. 
    We're based in San Francisco and provide zoning feasibility analysis and custom ADU permit plans for most cities in California. You can check your property on our site and get a quote for services using this link: https://www.hausable.com/adu-s... you plan to locate the unit in a sloped area, you may need a geotechnical engineer to verify the conditions. If the property is in a hillside zone, there will be additional restrictions on the project. Talking to your planning office is always a good first step, but if you get confusing answers or need some help getting specific information, it's likely that our services can assist. 

    It's great to see everyone looking in to building an ADU these days. Thanks for all the helpful comments. Have a nice weekend!

  • Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Thanks Joanna - That's a bad link, comes up with a 404 error. I'm not in a hillside zone. :)

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 43 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    I finished my ADU in Glendale 2 months ago. Came out really nice. The whole process from initial design to finish build took 10 months. My ADU was hillside but on a flat land, so extra engineering would have to go into that if it is a slope. I have a great architect and contractor that did it all for me. Let me know if anyone needs info to them in the LA area.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 4 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Liam B.:

    I finished my ADU in Glendale 2 months ago. Came out really nice. The whole process from initial design to finish build took 10 months. My ADU was hillside but on a flat land, so extra engineering would have to go into that if it is a slope. I have a great architect and contractor that did it all for me. Let me know if anyone needs info to them in the LA area.

    Could you send me information regarding your architect and contractor? I am am interested in doing an ADU, but I am out in claremont. I would love to learn more about your process.

  • Rental Property Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 263 posts · 132 votes
    6y

    @Bryant Diep If you have never worked with architects or contractors before, I would recommend starting with talking to several of them so you can gauge their experience and quality. I made the mistake of going with the first architect I found and ended up paying to much and wound up with my project going way too long.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 43 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    @Bryant Diep just messaged you

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Thanks for the references @Liam B. and the suggestion @Matthew Forrest.

  • Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Liam B. I’d love that referral too if you wouldn’t mind. 

    Still trying to work out how ab68 sb13 apply to the Torrance hillside overlay. 

    I have to say both Hausable and Maxable have both been pretty useless as resources so far despite me paying for services at Hausable.

    Neither of them are good at responding. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.