Potential opportunity in property we've rented for 15 years?

Potential opportunity in property we've rented for 15 years?

Realtor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2019 · 52 posts · 28 votes

Good day BP community and happy 2020!

As my first post to ring in the new year, I want to share my current situation in hopes to see a potential investment opportunity for the future. 

My family and I have rented our home in the Bay Area (peninsula) for about 15 years now--a 3 BD 2 BR single family residence. Just a few years ago, the owner had unfortunately lost her husband, and he generally was the one to deal with the property (occasionally visiting the home, fixtures and repairs, etc.). She recently extended the opportunity for us to purchase the home at a discount, which may be ~$700K. After looking at recent sales in our neighborhood, homes have sold from $1M-$1.5M. 

I am fairly new to the real estate venture and am excited to pursue it. I do acknowledge my market is expensive but learning the industry and markets will never stop--it intrigues me. Ultimately though, I feel that there is opportunity in this situation and am looking for input/different options I could go for. Does BRRRR apply here?
I do have within the next two years for a definite decision--hopefully between then I already have done a deal aside from this one, but I think it would be a good learning experience (if it is one) to pursue it.

I appreciate taking the time to read this and look forward to responses! *thumbs up emoji*

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y

Julian,

Don’t think twice. Buy it. When opportunity knocks, you open the door. 

If you pass, let me know. I’ll buy it and sign a 5-year lease with your family, and I won’t raise your rent for the next 5 years. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Umm.....the first question is why is she willing to see to you for 700K when the comparables are perhaps twice that amount? Is the property in bad shape? Are you sure those are the right comps? If the property is in good shape and the comps support what you are talking about then i would immediately "edit' your last name on your profile and start looking at how to get the place sooner rather than later. If she starts doing a little investigating and figures out she can sell it for $1.4 Million and happens to see you on social media talking about this she may change her mind :-)

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Julian,

    Don’t think twice. Buy it. When opportunity knocks, you open the door. 

    If you pass, let me know. I’ll buy it and sign a 5-year lease with your family, and I won’t raise your rent for the next 5 years. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Merced, CA · Member since 2016 · 221 posts · 115 votes
    6y

    I would definitely buy it assuming condition & comps check out.  Ask her if it is advantageous (for tax reasons) for her to accept payments over several years. If she sells her investment property she would be liable for all her gains at once. Owner financing will allow her to spread her tax liability over the life of the loan. 

    Best of luck to you!

    Tim

  • Realtor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2019 · 52 posts · 28 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brian Garlington:

    Umm.....the first question is why is she willing to see to you for 700K when the comparables are perhaps twice that amount? Is the property in bad shape? Are you sure those are the right comps? If the property is in good shape and the comps support what you are talking about then i would immediately "edit' your last name on your profile and start looking at how to get the place sooner rather than later. If she starts doing a little investigating and figures out she can sell it for $1.4 Million and happens to see you on social media talking about this she may change her mind :-)

    ====================

    Appreciate the precaution and reply--she's quite close to a family friend and we have a pretty good relationship with her. The house is in good shape, and more accurately a few houses have sold for $1M-$1.3M within the past two months. Will absolutely find a way to capitalize on this

  • Realtor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2019 · 52 posts · 28 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Julian,

    Don’t think twice. Buy it. When opportunity knocks, you open the door. 

    If you pass, let me know. I’ll buy it and sign a 5-year lease with your family, and I won’t raise your rent for the next 5 years. 

    ====================

    Hey Minh,

    Thanks for reaching out and allowing the option.

  • Realtor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2019 · 52 posts · 28 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Tim Jones:

    I would definitely buy it assuming condition & comps check out.  Ask her if it is advantageous (for tax reasons) for her to accept payments over several years. If she sells her investment property she would be liable for all her gains at once. Owner financing will allow her to spread her tax liability over the life of the loan. 

    Best of luck to you!

    Tim

    ====================

    Tim,

    Thanks for the insight regarding tax. Will look more into owner financing

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Julian Gonda

    Is this in San Francisco? What neighborhood? About how big is the home in square feet?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.