Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 7 votes
I'm interested in moving to Central Florida in the coming months for RE investments. Are there currently or any pending restrictions STR in Hillsborough or Orange country? Also curious about Dade and Broward. Any information would be appreciated.
Altamonte Springs, FL · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 14 votes
6y
Each area (city/neighborhood) has their own rules. You have to check on the particular place that you're looking at. Orange, Osceola and Polk county don't have county wide restrictions. I don't know about Hillsborough.
From what I have read, Hillsborough County regulates STR as though they were motels so you have to have the correct zoning, permits, etc to run the property in the county. However, the city of Tampa has no such regulation as far as I know.
Pinellas is super difficult. I have done my research on most beach towns and the city of St. Pete. There are very strict regulations as to which areas you can do STR in and it varies by the municipality.
Developer · Aguada, PR · Member since 2014 · 927 posts · 278 votes
6y
remember some of these laws have not been updated for years, so they are often not enforced unless a lot of people are screwing up or complaining. You can always go to the city or county sites to see their rules.
That article talks about the city of Orlando. Greater Orange county also has regulations on short term rentals. We have specific zoning for short term rentals in certain areas. I know the county proposed changing the short term rental regulations a little over a year ago. I do not know if they have actually come to terms on any new regulations. The best thing to do is to contact the county for a full accounting on how to comply with the regulations.
That being said the best places to own short term rentals in Orange are near the attractions which have many subdivisions zoned for short term rental. We also have what we call a hotel tax that would apply. It is somewhere in the 12.5% range.
Real Estate Brokerage/Vacation Homes/Short Term Vacation Home Rental Marketing · Orlando, FL · Member since 2013 · 159 posts · 127 votes
6y
Robert -
I agree with what has been posted above regarding Orange County. There are only a few areas in the county where short term rentals are allowed, and in many of those areas the HOAs preclude one from short term renting a property.
The great majority of the short term rentals here are in either Osceola County (where Disney World is located) or in Polk County, which is south of Osceola. Both of those counties are very accommodating to short term rentals. These are the areas where I would look if I were you. Because of Disney, SeaWorld and Universal Studios primarily, the demand for vacation home rentals is year-round. And, what a lot of people don't realize is Cocoa Beach on the east coast is less than an hour away and St. Pete and Clearwater beaches (west of Tampa and on the Gulf) are 1.5 hours away.
That article talks about the city of Orlando. Greater Orange county also has regulations on short term rentals. We have specific zoning for short term rentals in certain areas. I know the county proposed changing the short term rental regulations a little over a year ago. I do not know if they have actually come to terms on any new regulations. The best thing to do is to contact the county for a full accounting on how to comply with the regulations.
That being said the best places to own short term rentals in Orange are near the attractions which have many subdivisions zoned for short term rental. We also have what we call a hotel tax that would apply. It is somewhere in the 12.5% range.