Residential Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 177 posts · 122 votes
This was an amazing resource when i started investing a few years ago. In the past 6 months to a year all I get is spammed by wholesalers. Has this site gone the way of Facebook and grown a bit too much? These are "pro" members as well so bigger pockets probably doesn't care because they are making money off of them.
are there any rules against overt spamming and solicitation on here? I'm tired of getting bs messages that say "hey I'm a wholesaler in Tampa I got deals". They are always absolute junk... And the people contacting me are early 20s inexperienced people that haven't really done deals. They are clearly being hired by someone to essentially cold call/lead generate. We all gotta do business but it's become over the top lately. This used to be a site where when you had a bonafide deal you could network with people not grasp at straws.
Real Estate Broker · Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y
Hi David,
While I agree there are a lot (and maybe a lot more?) new and inexperienced investors on BP these days. To be fair, that's kind of their mission: Making real estate investing accessible and giving everyone an opportunity to learn, and no one is forcing you to be a part of it.
My thoughts: The wholesalers will find your email address anyway (If not from BP, the from a dozen other sources if you are active in the REI business). I get dozens of wholesaler emails daily, and I never signed up for 99% of them. It's a normal part of being in the business, and I don't think its fair to blame it on BP.
Specialist · Delran, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 951 votes
6y
@David DuCille I think much of it is as @Russell Brazil stated, real estate is trendy. The market is hot, there's a billion flipping shows on TV, there's a ton of podcasts, and it draws a lot of people to the industry. Everyone is suddenly either an agent or (because they think it's the cheap way in) a wholesaler. If you're getting started in real estate it's hard not to find Biggerpockets nowadays. It must be your area in part though, I don't get those same messages.
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
6y
Thoughts:
1. Spam PMs, which would be defined as any kind of unsolicited pitch for products or services, is specifically prohibited (see rule N). In the PM, you can select "Report Spam" and we will get it. Spamming members won't be members for long.
2. Same thing for posts, except you select the there dots in the corner and select "Report abuse."
3. As Russell and a couple of others have said, it is more a symptom of the market than of the platform. It is true that BP has grown and that growth will encouraging more of these people, but spammers exist everywhere and I'm surprised there aren't more of them.
Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
It's gotten worse since the 2 big institutional wholesalers came to town. The problem is the turnover at those places is massive. The individuals are enthusiastic in the beginning, but end up quitting eventually after making no money. But there's always another new person to take their place, and they will send the same tired "we sell 10 - 15 deals a month" message to everyone on here.
I don't know who I have more pity for - the new wholesalers who are not going to make any money and quit, or the new house flipper who is going to lose their a$$ on the "deal" they get jammed into with the boiler room sales tactics.
Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
I'm having a lot more fun watching Ben Mallah frankly and if you pay attention he drops gold. That being said part of the problem of real estate information is the underlying business is pretty repetitive. That's why you see new terms for old concepts. Seriously, how is "house hacking" really all that different from sharecropping? It's just a different way of getting tenants to pay you to be on your land.