Chicago/Suburbs, Naperville, Aurora, Racine, Kenosha, Milwaukee??

Chicago/Suburbs, Naperville, Aurora, Racine, Kenosha, Milwaukee??

Real Estate Agent · Palatine, IL · Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 21 votes

Where is good to buy, renovate & hold a 2-4 unit building?  I'd consider anything within about an hour drive of Palatine IL (or 1-1/2 hours in the case of Milwaukee if it's a really great deal)  There doesn't seem to be much in my area (prices are pretty high here - would love to keep it under $100K/$140K all in.

Areas I might consider:

Milwaukee (which neighborhoods are up & coming?)

Kenosha WI

Racine WI

Aurora IL

Elgin IL

Chicago (which neighborhoods are up & coming?)

I'd appreciate any input from anyone familiar with any of these areas, positive or negative! 

3Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
Moderator
Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y

@Kristi Wolfe - I think first you need to define your expectations and comfort level.  Meaning are you looking for cash flow, appreciation, flips, etc. and then additionally are you comfortable being 1.5 hours away?  Are you self managing?  Who's placing tenants?  I think with the right team that isn't a problem at all, but everyone has a different comfort level and risk tolerance. 

I would definitely consider Milwaukee if you are looking for a stronger cash flow market.  It has very similar metrics and demographics to Chicago, but just smaller in size and less overall appreciation (depending on the neighborhood of course).  If you are looking to build your team up North I would reach out to @Michael Henry or @Marcus Auerbach as far as realtors go.  They are both active investors and know the area extremely well.  If you are looking for a full-time property manager I'd highly recommend @Matt Maurice or if you looking to self manage you should definitely check out the cool platform under my signature - NestEgg.

Also, I saw @Kenneth Garrett mentioned @Joe Mueller, who you should also connect with.  Joe is the man of the far NW Chicago suburbs and has his hand in all aspects of real estate (i.e, wholesaling, rehabbing, brokerage, etc.).  They hold a meetup over in Algonquin that you should definitely attend.  Here's the link:  https://www.meetup.com/investor-empowerment-chicago/

See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Kristi Wolfe

    I invest in lake and mchenry county and southern Wisconsin.  It’s not easy to find properties under or at 100K.  I do think you can find properties for 140,000 all in.  I’ve tried to invest in palatine but I haven’t found a deal that works.  Probably need to look at townhomes in the northeast part of town.

  • Real Estate Agent · Palatine, IL · Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 21 votes
    6y

    @Kenneth Garrett do you work with wholesalers? Care to share who is a good source of deals in this area? :)

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Kristi Wolfe

    Joe Mueller.  I can’t send his email.  I’ll pm you his email.

  • Property Manager · Lindenhurst, IL · Member since 2016 · 854 posts · 506 votes
    6y

    You can get some in Waukegan/North Chicago area with that price range. I am a broker, so PM me if you want me to feed you the latest listings to you.

  • Real Estate Agent · Geneva, IL · Member since 2015 · 403 posts · 172 votes
    6y

    @Kristi Wolfe I am a Realtor and active investor. If you are looking for a multi-family between $100-$140k, the Aurora and Elgin would be a good starting point. Let me know if you want me to send you what’s out there!

  • Real Estate Agent · Palatine, IL · Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 21 votes
    6y

    @Patrice Boenzi that would be amazing! Please do- (I’m new here - do I need to PM you my email - ?). Due to a few factors, we cannot buy until March 2021 or so, but if you could send a few for me to do practice number crunching, I’d greatly appreciate it. That way when the time comes, I’ll likely know a great deal when I see it so I can move on it confidently!

    Thanks!

  • Real Estate Agent · Geneva, IL · Member since 2015 · 403 posts · 172 votes
    6y

    @Kristi Wolfe Welcome to BP! It is an amazing place!! Yes, please PM you email and then I will send you an email so we are connected and I can learn a little bit more about your desired goals. Looking forward to talking with you!

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Kristi Wolfe - I think first you need to define your expectations and comfort level.  Meaning are you looking for cash flow, appreciation, flips, etc. and then additionally are you comfortable being 1.5 hours away?  Are you self managing?  Who's placing tenants?  I think with the right team that isn't a problem at all, but everyone has a different comfort level and risk tolerance. 

    I would definitely consider Milwaukee if you are looking for a stronger cash flow market.  It has very similar metrics and demographics to Chicago, but just smaller in size and less overall appreciation (depending on the neighborhood of course).  If you are looking to build your team up North I would reach out to @Michael Henry or @Marcus Auerbach as far as realtors go.  They are both active investors and know the area extremely well.  If you are looking for a full-time property manager I'd highly recommend @Matt Maurice or if you looking to self manage you should definitely check out the cool platform under my signature - NestEgg.

    Also, I saw @Kenneth Garrett mentioned @Joe Mueller, who you should also connect with.  Joe is the man of the far NW Chicago suburbs and has his hand in all aspects of real estate (i.e, wholesaling, rehabbing, brokerage, etc.).  They hold a meetup over in Algonquin that you should definitely attend.  Here's the link:  https://www.meetup.com/investor-empowerment-chicago/

  • Investor · Elgin, IL · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Kristi Wolfe and @Patrice Boenzi, I live in Elgin and recently passed the exam. I am in process of interviewing different brokerages before I select one.

    My intention is also for personal investment (residential/commercial/industrial). I have been following sherriff sales and local listings. I have decided to stay local, Elgin, South Elgin, Batavia, Elburn, Aurora, North Aurora, when I'm ready to start. I should have funds ready to go within 6 months; however, if you find a good deal I'm open to obtaining funds sooner. 

    I plan to have a sponsor and brokerage selected by first week of march. I'd like to stay tuned with you both as we seem to have similar intentions. 

    I've sent you both connection requests. Patrice, if you run into something, please keep me in mind as well. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Geneva, IL · Member since 2015 · 403 posts · 172 votes
    6y

    @Ajay Sharma Congratulations! I will keep you posted. I just sent you a PM. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Oconomowoc, WI · Member since 2016 · 996 posts · 431 votes
    6y

    @Kristi Wolfe consider investing in Beloit, WI.  It has a good amount of properties in your price range and is seeing a resurgence as of late. It's about 1hr15 from Palatine according to Google.  

    Consider Walkers Square, Century City, and Washington Park as sections of those are part of a TIN neighborhood program in City of Milwaukee right now.

    Racine is still an sketchy market IMO. Higher crime but with a couple decent pockets. Kenosha is good but may be a little overpriced in the duplex and SFR market right now. It has good employment diversity and lower crime rates than Racine though.

  • Real Estate Agent · Forest Park, IL · Member since 2014 · 255 posts · 141 votes
    6y

    @Kristi Wolfe - Your budget is pretty limited for most of Chicago. However, you can likely find a 2-flat (all in) that will cash flow within that budget in an area speculated to appreciate. If I had to recommend one, it would be in/near or just south of the woodlawn neighborhood between the lake shore and the Dan Ryan expressway. Lots of neighborhood funding and stabilization efforts through the county land bank, Community Investment Corporation, etc. Close by the University of Chicago and proposed Obama presidential library.

  • Real Estate Agent · Palatine, IL · Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 21 votes
    6y

    @Patrice Boenzi. I sent a pm but then my phone froze. Please confirm you received it. Thanks!

  • Real Estate Agent · Geneva, IL · Member since 2015 · 403 posts · 172 votes
    6y

    @Kristi Wolfe it did not come through

  • Mark F.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Elgin, IL · Member since 2016 · 326 posts · 270 votes
    6y

    @Kristi Wolfe I second the recommendation of @Kenneth Garrett to and @Jonathan Klemm to reach out to @Joe Mueller. I have know Joe for a few years, worked with him on several deals and he runs TANIS Group Realty and they have monthly investor meetings in their Algonquin office. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 27 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Kristi Wolfe RACINE and KENOSHA. I’d love to talk to you about the area! I live in Chicago but invest in Racine and Kenosha.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Hi @Kristi Wolfe, I am also looking at Elgin, Geneva and Aurora. My focus is on SFH to Live and Flip. This would be my first property.

    @Patrice Boenzi are you familiar with the area? Would be happy to connect and learn more about the area.

    @Sean Morrisey Aurora seems to be a good place to live, considering I am looking to Live and Flip. Happy to connect.  

  • Rental Property Investor · IL · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    @Kristi Wolfe if you're willing to travel that far, check out DeKalb & Rockford as well.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.