Muskegon Investors! What has your experience been?

Muskegon Investors! What has your experience been?

Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 2 votes

Hi there!

I'm an investor living Oakland, CA where I own 2-3BR units and am originally from Grand Rapids, MI where I recently purchased a studio/3BR duplex.

I'm excited to be investing my money back home, but the huge influx of cash buyers here and the quickly saturating market has made finding quality buy and hold deals in GR a difficult prospect. I am lucky to have found the duplex I just bought, but I'm not expecting to see many more like it.

That being said, I've decided to branch out in my search and take a look at Muskegon. I grew up coming to Muskegon to visit my aunt and uncle and remember how pocket-y the city has always been. The neighborhood they lived in was A/B near Mona Shores, but I remember how someone could walk just a couple blocks in the wrong direction and end up in what might be described as "desolated suburban wasteland" :(

My questions for those who are active or are considering becoming active investors in the Muskegon area:

1) Why should a real estate investor like myself take a bet on Muskegon right now? The mills and the factories have long since closed their doors, and in my (admittedly cursory) research I haven't seen any plans for industry to return. There will always be people paying to live close to the lake, but what about the homes in the rest of the city? What might bring some life back there?

2) Which neighborhoods have you focused on? I know enough to stay out of the Heights, but are there other places where people are flocking to (or away) from?

About me: My strategy is for B/Hs with 15%+ COCR and I don't mind if a property requires some work to get there. I don't want to wait on the phantom of appreciation to make my money.

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Randy CharboneauBusiness Member
Residential Real Estate Broker · Grandville, MI · Member since 2016 · 109 posts · 78 votes
9y

@Peter VanWesep  Hi.  I'm a realtor that works the Muskegon Market.  The downtown area and surrounding immediate suburbs are really under priced in my opinion.  a nice 1200 sq ft 3bd that needs a bit of work would go for $70K in Wyoming/Godfrey Lee or Godwin Heights area is going for $25K in Muskegon!  It's pretty amazing.   That said, the rents are a bit different as well.  You're essentially working with a different level of tenant over there in regards to income and such.  If you have limited funds and want to acquire multiple properties, Muskegon is a far better choice than Grand Rapids right now.

To get an idea on what is happening there, I like to look at the Planning Commission notes.  This really shows you what is on the horizon as far as the future of Muskegon.  If you see a lot of large projects being discussed and approved you know the future looks bright.   Builders and investors usually don't plan projects unless they feel the money is there.  Here is a link to the latest Planning Commission notes:  Muskegon Planning Commission Notes

This news article might be helpful too.  $1 billion investment planned for Muskegon County!  MLive article - 26 projects planned

I handle foreclosures in Muskegon which usually work really well for BRRR strategy. Let me know if I can be of assistance. Happy House Hunting!

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Southern Pines, NC · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 14 votes
    9y
    My sister lives in Muskegon and I have visited a few times the last couple of years. This area really excites me. They just bought a single family there for 62k. There is tons of potential in the downtown area. I know they are rebuilding a lot there. A ton of businesses and large apartments going in. I was just there last months and seen a lot of construction going on. I have even heard they are remodeling some of the factories to be apartments and condos. I see a lot of potential and would love to get in on this market before it really catches fire. I feel with Grand Rapids being swamped it is only a matter of time.
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Highland, MI · Member since 2015 · 60 posts · 13 votes
    9y
    Hi Brent, I recently got a 4 plex under contract in Muskegon on Peck St that I'm looking to wholesale. If you're interested private message me. Thanks Jeff
  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    No love for the OP? ☹️
  • Rental Property Investor · Spring Lake, MI · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    @jeff helm what are you hoping to get for the 4plex?

  • Randy CharboneauBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Broker · Grandville, MI · Member since 2016 · 109 posts · 78 votes
    9y

    @Peter VanWesep  Hi.  I'm a realtor that works the Muskegon Market.  The downtown area and surrounding immediate suburbs are really under priced in my opinion.  a nice 1200 sq ft 3bd that needs a bit of work would go for $70K in Wyoming/Godfrey Lee or Godwin Heights area is going for $25K in Muskegon!  It's pretty amazing.   That said, the rents are a bit different as well.  You're essentially working with a different level of tenant over there in regards to income and such.  If you have limited funds and want to acquire multiple properties, Muskegon is a far better choice than Grand Rapids right now.

    To get an idea on what is happening there, I like to look at the Planning Commission notes.  This really shows you what is on the horizon as far as the future of Muskegon.  If you see a lot of large projects being discussed and approved you know the future looks bright.   Builders and investors usually don't plan projects unless they feel the money is there.  Here is a link to the latest Planning Commission notes:  Muskegon Planning Commission Notes

    This news article might be helpful too.  $1 billion investment planned for Muskegon County!  MLive article - 26 projects planned

    I handle foreclosures in Muskegon which usually work really well for BRRR strategy. Let me know if I can be of assistance. Happy House Hunting!

  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the response @Randy Charboneau. I recently read through those Planning Commission Notes, which is actually part of what got me interested in Muskegon in the first place. I would definitely like to take a look around next time I'm back in West Michigan, which will probably be mid-December, but could be interested in buying before then if a good deal comes up.

    Let's set up a time to chat soon. I'll PM you.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Highland, MI · Member since 2015 · 60 posts · 13 votes
    9y
    @toddbowen Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I'm looking to get $165 for the 4 plex. I can provide more information, please IM me.
  • Rental Property Investor · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    I would be interested in that 4-plex @Jeff Helm. I messaged you on here. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.