Looking for advice on Northern MI vacation rentals

Looking for advice on Northern MI vacation rentals

Northern KY · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 2 votes

In 1999, I bought a 1/4 acre lot in Northern MI. We excavated it, but in a well, septic, and slab for a single wide mobile home.  Moved the home on to the property, and never went back.  The well, septic, and electricity was never hooked up.  

My husband and I are considering using this property as our first "investment" but I'm not sure how to determine if we would be better off selling it or using it as "start up funds."  I would guess the mobile home is in major disrepair and would probably need to be removed and purchase a new one. Our other option is to leave it as vacant land and sell it. 

We plan to visit the property in the next few weeks to determine what we are "up against." Our thoughts are to get a construction loan to put the new trailer on it, have it attached to the slab, reassessed as real property, then rent it out (we have friends close to the property that would be willing to take care of it for us) or sell it.  Then use those funds to buy properties in KY where we currently live.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as we are unfamiliar with the market for vacation rentals in that area. The property is surrounded by State and National forests, 5 mins to the AuSable River and a neighborhood lake with a beach and fishing.

2Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Quality Technician in a CNC Machine Shop · Rapid City, MI · Member since 2015 · 159 posts · 35 votes
6y

Hi @Tammy Thompson  I am in Northern MI.   Anything I can do to help you out?

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 52 votes
    6y

    You could try 

    https://www.airdna.co/

    Or just look up the area in AirBNB and check how many other rentals are in the area to give you a sense of demand and pricing. If there are a bunch and they are busy maybe worth investigating further.

  • Quality Technician in a CNC Machine Shop · Rapid City, MI · Member since 2015 · 159 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    Hi @Tammy Thompson  I am in Northern MI.   Anything I can do to help you out?

  • Real Estate Agent · Ludington, MI · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Hi Tammy,

    I'm a Real Estate Agent in Northern MI.

    I could research and find some comparables to your property to help you make a decision..Send me a message I'd love to chat with you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.