Is the NJ forum dying out?

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
4y

I grew up in NJ (Orange) and went to high school in NJ (Ocean City), and I am quite fond of Jersey and hate to see it decline but in all honesty I can barely fathom how anyone who makes less than $100k annual even stays there. I finally got my mother to retire close to me a couple of years ago, and she really got out at a good time because housing prices have barely budged from where she lives but property taxes are off the hook. I'm a pretty liberal guy but there's such a thing as being way too liberal, big government & tax oriented. Anti-landlord stances make it really difficult to invest in the state for the average landlord, who might not own 1,000 units and can't afford to spend a year trying to get someone out of their property. Some things have just become too out of whack. So wrapping back to the question, it doesn't surprise me that it's kind of dormant because people I know that have money that might have been investors there are instead looking south and midwest. 

Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    I’m 10 mins from NJ (grew up in NJ) and won’t invest there even if I had that kind of money. 
    maybe people are tired of the taxes and taking 6 mos to evict? :) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern NJ · Member since 2019 · 672 posts · 677 votes
    4y
    Quote from @John M Chludzinski:

    Is it just me, or does it seem like the NJ discussion is drying up? It used to be so much more active, and the past 6 months have had very few posts.  

     Mobile view is buggy as hell. May have something to do with it. Wonder if anyone reported it.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    4y

    I grew up in NJ (Orange) and went to high school in NJ (Ocean City), and I am quite fond of Jersey and hate to see it decline but in all honesty I can barely fathom how anyone who makes less than $100k annual even stays there. I finally got my mother to retire close to me a couple of years ago, and she really got out at a good time because housing prices have barely budged from where she lives but property taxes are off the hook. I'm a pretty liberal guy but there's such a thing as being way too liberal, big government & tax oriented. Anti-landlord stances make it really difficult to invest in the state for the average landlord, who might not own 1,000 units and can't afford to spend a year trying to get someone out of their property. Some things have just become too out of whack. So wrapping back to the question, it doesn't surprise me that it's kind of dormant because people I know that have money that might have been investors there are instead looking south and midwest. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Burlington County, NJ · Member since 2019 · 540 posts · 771 votes
    4y

    Noticed this too. Not sure why.

    As for those who have criticism for NJ, many of them are warranted. This said, I’ve found there’s still good investment opportunities in NJ.

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ/PA · Member since 2016 · 555 posts · 149 votes
    4y
    NJ IS GOOD FOR LIVING.  NJ IS THE BEST STATE FOR ME.  DIVERSE AND HIGHLY EDUCATED POPULATION.  

    MAYBE NOT LANDLORD FRIENDLY. Lots of rent control.    STILL NOT BAD. 




    Quote from @JD Martin:

    I grew up in NJ (Orange) and went to high school in NJ (Ocean City), and I am quite fond of Jersey and hate to see it decline but in all honesty I can barely fathom how anyone who makes less than $100k annual even stays there. I finally got my mother to retire close to me a couple of years ago, and she really got out at a good time because housing prices have barely budged from where she lives but property taxes are off the hook. I'm a pretty liberal guy but there's such a thing as being way too liberal, big government & tax oriented. Anti-landlord stances make it really difficult to invest in the state for the average landlord, who might not own 1,000 units and can't afford to spend a year trying to get someone out of their property. Some things have just become too out of whack. So wrapping back to the question, it doesn't surprise me that it's kind of dormant because people I know that have money that might have been investors there are instead looking south and midwest. 


  • Rental Property Investor · Northern NJ · Member since 2019 · 672 posts · 677 votes
    4y

    Well one of the reasons is you can't access this section easily anymore. If you search by region at the top while in mobile view, the only options you see is Jersey City and Newark. Noticed a few posts in the JC forum about general NJ stuff. Wonder if the mods can fix that.

  • Property Manager · NJ · Member since 2017 · 786 posts · 396 votes
    4y

    @John M Chludzinski Im not on the site as often as I used to be, but it does seem like there are less discussions and a lot more one off type questions. I'll go off on a rant here a bit, but I noticed a couple of years ago that the forums became new agent and lender heavy, a lot of people soliciting for business but not a lot of value in the comments. It seems like you may be right things are slowing down greatly. Lastly I think a lot of first and second time investors are priced out of properties now or they can't seem to find anything to buy or they can but non paying tenants and slow evictions are killing transactions left and right, also @Mark F. hit the nail on the head the new layout of the site makes finding the forum pretty difficult

  • Rick BorgoBusiness Member
    Lender · NJ · Member since 2021 · 54 posts · 18 votes
    4y

    This forum is impossible to find. The only way I know how to find is it by accessing old comments from a post I made on this thread about 6 months ago. I go into my old notifications, click one of the comments, and scroll up to click the thread name. How do other people access it?

    Anywhere Lending561 Reviews
  • Member since 2019 · 83 posts · 61 votes
    4y

    I have a heard time finding the forum even on a laptop or desktop.  That could be part but not all of the problem.

  • Member since 2019 · 83 posts · 61 votes
    4y

    Whoops - a "hard time" finding it...

  • Peter TverdovBusiness Member
    Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    Biggerpockets makes it almost impossible to find. I just check the JC and Newark one from time to time. Maybe a mod can help change that so we can have a discussion on NJ topics. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Phila, PA · Member since 2018 · 106 posts · 16 votes
    4y

    @JD Martin we live in south Jersey near Philadelphia for the last 25 years. We live in a nice 1600 sq ft single in Gloucester county in the Deptford area. We like it hear and plan to stay. We are about 5 minute drive to the Walt Whitman bridge. Our total taxes are $6,500 a year which isn’t bad compared to the suburbs of PA. In Delco the taxes have skyrocketed making taxes in line with where we live.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2008 · 28 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    Agree with the general sentiment,  NJ forum seems to be hard to find.

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2022 · 58 posts · 40 votes
    4y

    From my experience, I have seen a lot of NJ investors crossing the water into the Philly market for their investing. Sourcing deals in that area has become much easier to newer investors and people are becoming less afraid of taking on bigger projects. 

    Contractors are slowing down after years of backed up work and out of state investors are filling those times up quickly. 

    As for the forum, I don't normally have an issue tracking them down I have just kept the tabs saved for easy access. 

  • Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
    Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I notice a drop for Summer.  This time of year is starts picking up again.   @John M Chludzinski

    House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Medford, NJ · Member since 2018 · 236 posts · 177 votes
    4y

    @David Smith What rent control are you referring to?

  • Real Estate Agent · Englewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 31 votes
    3y

    @Michael Brattelli  There is rent control in several different cities throughout NJ - to name a few - Union City (Hudson County), Teaneck (Bergen County), and there are more.   As far as investing in NJ, I agree @Vaughn Smith - NJ is not landlord friendly, but the revenue returns can be great.  In North Jersey, I can market and rent a 3 bed 1 bath in an older apartment building for $2600+ and get a lot of activity.  LOL - Try that in PA or TN.  Is the housing market as strong?

  • Real Estate Broker · Medford, NJ · Member since 2018 · 236 posts · 177 votes
    3y

    @Orkeem Davis most towns around me don’t have rent control. I’ve never seen that in jersey before. State law is you can raise the rent to a “reasonable” amount which is pretty vague. Municipalities can probably do whatever they want though. What types of restrictions do you see in those towns?

  • Real Estate Agent · Englewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 31 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Brattelli:

    @Orkeem Davis most towns around me don’t have rent control. I’ve never seen that in jersey before. State law is you can raise the rent to a “reasonable” amount which is pretty vague. Municipalities can probably do whatever they want though. What types of restrictions do you see in those towns?


  • Real Estate Agent · Englewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 31 votes
    3y

    2.5% yearly increase for counties with rent control requirements.  This is a question that is generally asked by me when looking to invest in different parts of NJ.  This is a necessary step in my due diligence process.   

  • I​nvestor & Agent · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Not sure it’s just your forum, I fear the FB groups have taken a lot of the attention away from this platform. I for one at trying to focus more attention here recently to do my small part to help keep it going and hope others do the same. Obviously social media is wayyy more watered down and often too political or debate oriented in nature, whereas BP has a certain purity of content available here. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @John M Chludzinski:

    Is it just me, or does it seem like the NJ discussion is drying up? It used to be so much more active, and the past 6 months have had very few posts.  

     Issue is everyone is leaving the tri state markets, much to expensive and taxes of 10, 15, 20k are crazy.  You can get a lot more for your money elsewhere. I left the LI markets 10 years ago, since then all my business has been in the Cleveland markets 

  • Contractor · Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 186 posts · 91 votes
    3y

    Let's bring it back to life

  • Mark LangdonPro Member
    Investor · Whippany, NJ · Member since 2010 · 356 posts · 104 votes
    3y

    I have my original 10 places I rent out here in NJ locally but I moved my investing out of state 4 years ago to invest in the southeast as a GP with apartments and its working out so much better and much easier to operate. Love to catch up with anyone here in NJ.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @John M Chludzinski:

    Is it just me, or does it seem like the NJ discussion is drying up? It used to be so much more active, and the past 6 months have had very few posts.  


     NJ is so brutal for landlords. Jersey Mike's subs are dope though.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.