We just bought a duplex in the Hudson Valley and are now living in one of the units. Our new tenant has been living there for 7 years and the previous landlord allowed smoking in the unit. We have a strict no smoking policy, but will be creating an outdoor smoking area for their use. Upon signing our new lease (they were month to month) we have included our no smoking policy which also states no burning of incense or any other substance which causes particulate matter to be released into the air. The tenant agreed not to smoke cigarettes indoors, but wishes to continue practicing their religious tradition of burning incense and sage. The smell permeates into the common space and even into our unit. We would never want to infringe on someone’s religious freedoms, but when our air quality is compromised, it affects us. What would you do? Thanks!
Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
I mean, they're a paying tenant and the only other tenant are you guys, the owners.
The last thing you need is for them to move out and then you have a vacancy and have to find a tenant who likely won't stay long-term as this tenant does.
If the smell truly bothers you then do what you feel is best but know that tenants typically do annoying things, especially when you live in a duplex (mine has tossed old cat litter off the back deck into the woods - if that's the worst they do then I'm fine with that).
Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
I mean, they're a paying tenant and the only other tenant are you guys, the owners.
The last thing you need is for them to move out and then you have a vacancy and have to find a tenant who likely won't stay long-term as this tenant does.
If the smell truly bothers you then do what you feel is best but know that tenants typically do annoying things, especially when you live in a duplex (mine has tossed old cat litter off the back deck into the woods - if that's the worst they do then I'm fine with that).
Definitely not the Botafumeiro! 😂@Karl Great points, and I agree. The issue hasn’t so much been the smell, more that there’s an allergy in our family to incense smoke. We decided honesty is the best policy and discussed it with our tenants. We would never want to infringe on their religious freedom, and they were very understanding of our health concern. We as the landlords are going to seal up as many cracks as possible between the floors, and they’re going to keep the windows/doors open when they burn incense. Happy ending!
Unlike so many arrested-development types who pretend to want to be in this business, you did some adulting and worked it out with your tenant. My congratulations.
Definitely not the Botafumeiro! 😂@Karl Great points, and I agree. The issue hasn’t so much been the smell, more that there’s an allergy in our family to incense smoke. We decided honesty is the best policy and discussed it with our tenants. We would never want to infringe on their religious freedom, and they were very understanding of our health concern. We as the landlords are going to seal up as many cracks as possible between the floors, and they’re going to keep the windows/doors open when they burn incense. Happy ending!
I'm allergic to incense smoke too, but since becoming more spiritual I've started to burn it. I usually only keep it burning during my meditation, which is about 15 minutes. I'm so happy you were able to work something out with your tenant.